U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next state to leave the South?
Virginia 37 48.05%
North Carolina 6 7.79%
Georgia 4 5.19%
Florida 20 25.97%
Texas 15 19.48%
Kentucky 2 2.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 11:40 PM

45,089 posts, read 36,318,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
yep, and fewer benefits and smaller pay raises (if any at all).
Speak for yourself I guess. I've always had a full benefits package and great room for advancement and so has my husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 12:07 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,749,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And a lower cost of living too.
Generally speaking, that is true, as you can see from this map. Although the mid-west also has a comparably lower cost.

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfo...arity-2012.png

Click on the map and it will enlarge.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:56 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,133,614 times
You know? It is kinda funny -- not hah-hah funny -- but quite telling in its way, that almost all of these threads started with the undertone of attempting to denigrate the South are farrrrrrr more numerous than any from the opposite direction. Just count 'em and it is as clear as that 100 is a higher number than two...

What is it with the seeming obsession of some northerners/west coasters to start up something that really has no purpose beyond downgrading the South in some form or fashion? And then, predictable as sunrise, many will chime in (as if they actually knew anything about it), and pontificate on how backward Southerners are and etc, ad nauseam , apparently under the delusion that there is no dirt in their own houses...which desperately needs to be cleaned before they get all smug and high and mighty about being morally superior to Southerners in lifestyle and history and manners.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:07 PM

4,475 posts, read 7,303,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
You know? It is kinda funny -- not hah-hah funny -- but quite telling in its way, that almost all of these threads started with the undertone of attempting to denigrate the South are farrrrrrr more numerous than any from the opposite direction. Just count 'em and it is as clear as that 100 is a higher number than two...

What is it with the seeming obsession of some northerners/west coasters to start up something that really has no purpose beyond downgrading the South in some form or fashion? And then, predictable as sunrise, many will chime in (as if they actually knew anything about it), and pontificate on how backward Southerners are and etc, ad nauseam , apparently under the delusion that there is no dirt in their own houses...which desperately needs to be cleaned before they get all smug and high and mighty about being morally superior to Southerners in lifestyle and history and manners.
I honestly believe it is a select few that do this. Each region has their pros and cons and depending on what you like will depend on which region fits each person best.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:23 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,757,980 times
Quote:

It's usually the same 2 or 3 people who start these threads, I've noticed. And then the same 4 or 5 usual suspects who jump on the hate-wagon. I don't really think most Northeasterners and people from the West Coast actually feel this way about Southerners or the South. C-D forums are often a pretty bizarre representation of reality, from what I can tell.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:41 AM

13,424 posts, read 16,994,819 times
Quote:

+ 1111111

Thank you for stating the obvious. As a proud native Southerner who knows, from personal life experience, that all the bashing of the South done on this site is total B.S., I can only assume it's because people in other regions of the country (and those who start these threads) are incredibly unsure and insecure about their own place and being in life.

It was long, long ago that I came to realize that, as a Southerner, I was greatly blessed -- to not harbor ignorance, biases and hatred toward other people simply because of the state, city or region in which they live. And for that, I do indeed feel better and LUCKIER than other Americans. I have a great life, and I feel sorry for those who are so shallow and petty that they must insult others to make themselves feel superior.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:19 AM

Amen, TexasReb and Newsboy.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:57 AM

3,968 posts, read 3,505,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Amen, TexasReb and Newsboy.
I stand with you all in solidarity, the same smug posters do this to the Midwest and most places that don't fit their ideals of what they feel they should be like.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:03 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,141,511 times
Quote:

For a couple of years the south bashing quit. It was really bad about five years ago, when there were a couple of nutty New Yorkers on here who were notorious for hating the south. Then they left and things were quiet, now it seems like a new generation of northerners and west coasters have arisen to spew their hypocritical, self-important, uninformed nonsense once more. Just look at the chains thread for evidence.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
For a couple of years the south bashing quit. It was really bad about five years ago, when there were a couple of nutty New Yorkers on here who were notorious for hating the south. Then they left and things were quiet, now it seems like a new generation of northerners and west coasters have arisen to spew their hypocritical, self-important, uninformed nonsense once more. Just look at the chains thread for evidence.
I just don't get it. Honestly, not that NO ONE from the South EVER bashes other regions, but it's definitely more one sided (south bashing from people from other regions).

As a former corporate trainer who traveled all over the US regularly (and a former military brat and then wife who also traveled and moved a lot to various regions, and now a person who loves to travel just for the adventure), I think that ALL regions have pros and cons, and while I personally prefer living in the South, I could be quite happy and contented and never bored living in any region of the US. And I can definitely understand why others prefer other regions - because we're all wired together differently, and we have different goals, different situations, different hobbies and interests, etc

I think it's pitiful, and actually indicative of negatives within the personality/psyche when a person feels such animosity toward a whole REGION of this big, wide, diverse country. I mean, I have my favorite and least favorite states as well, but I can't imagine dismissing entire states or regions with such broad generalities and judgmental proclamations.

When I lived in South Carolina, SC's educational ranking was 49 out of 50 states. It also had an extremely high poverty rate (this was about 25 years ago). In spite of these shortcomings, the state itself was (and still is) beautiful and the people in general were very friendly and there were many, many positives about living there. Now - I knew our "tenure" there was short lived and that within two years we'd be moving on, but I wasn't sitting around hating on it while I was there. I was getting out and about with my little kids and husband, doing interesting things and discovering new places and experiences.

When I lived in Maryland, and in Ohio, and in California, the cost of living was shocking, comparatively speaking. And in Ohio, the winters aren't my cuppa tea. And I could go on and on about negatives in each of these places, but that would be silly, because I have many fond memories of all those places, and each of them has a unique beauty that I was blessed to experience.

I've never been to the New England states for any significant amount of time, but we're planning a vacation there next year and I am very excited about it! And I HOPE to see and experience many cultural differences.

You know - when I was about 19, I visited Dallas with my aunt and uncle. I was young and immature and I "hated Dallas." I hated the whole cowboy thing, the whole Texas thing - and I based all this animosity on one weekend trip to Dallas. Right - like I knew a lot about Texas after one weekend at age 19, right?

It took actually moving here (against my will, based on my ridiculous generalizations from one weekend at 19), for me to realize how wrong my assessment of this state had been. Within two years I was truly, madly, deeply in love with Texas.

But there's been something to love about every place I've lived. I think it's a matter of perspective and attitude more than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.