U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next state to leave the South?
Virginia 37 48.05%
North Carolina 6 7.79%
Georgia 4 5.19%
Florida 20 25.97%
Texas 15 19.48%
Kentucky 2 2.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 06:23 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,927,374 times

Advertisements

Most of the country does not even have the first clue about the South. Every day there is a new question: Is Kentucky the South? Is Virginia the south? How southern is this city? Answer is there is no southern culture. Every southern states has their own unique culture and the Deep South is nothing like Appalachian culture in the Upper South. On top of that the South is getting more diverse and the demographics are changing because more and more people are moving from the Northeast and Midwest to cities like Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 07:21 PM

29,955 posts, read 27,459,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Most of the country does not even have the first clue about the South. Every day there is a new question: Is Kentucky the South? Is Virginia the south? How southern is this city? Answer is there is no southern culture. Every southern states has their own unique culture and the Deep South is nothing like Appalachian culture in the Upper South. On top of that the South is getting more diverse and the demographics are changing because more and more people are moving from the Northeast and Midwest to cities like Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte.
There is no Southern culture? Come on...

And state borders are not cultural borders; for instance, Gulf Coast culture stretches from Texas to Alabama, and the Piedmont states from Virginia to Alabama share many historic and cultural features. And while there are certainly distinctions between the Deep South and Appalachia, it's obvious they are both variations of the same general culture. There are many similarities between the two when it comes to religion, cuisine, vernacular, sports, etc.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:35 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,927,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There is no Southern culture? Come on...

And state borders are not cultural borders; for instance, Gulf Coast culture stretches from Texas to Alabama, and the Piedmont states from Virginia to Alabama share many historic and cultural features. And while there are certainly distinctions between the Deep South and Appalachia, it's obvious they are both variations of the same general culture. There are many similarities between the two when it comes to religion, cuisine, vernacular, sports, etc.
There is no one southern culture. Every region of the south has a different culture. Americans get confused about that. Alabama and Mississippi is nothing like the culture in Kentucky, Virginia and TN even thou they are all Southern States.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:33 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,133,614 times
Quote:
=BajanYankee;36432565]No, I made the thread because of comments like the one in the article I posted ("North Carolina is not southern and historically it never was").
Which as I think almost everyone agrees on, is patently ridiculous just on the surface of things. What a totally dumb-ass comment that poster made.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:29 PM

312 posts, read 471,168 times
Maryland was in the Union during the Civil War, as it was largely under martial law; Lincoln did everything he could to keep it from leaving. It was a hotbed of Confederate sympathy.

During the colonial era, Maryland and Virginia were the heart of the South.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:20 PM

13,424 posts, read 16,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No, I made the thread because of comments like the one in the article I posted ("North Carolina is not southern and historically it never was").
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Which as I think almost everyone agrees on, is patently ridiculous just on the surface of things. What a totally dumb-ass comment that poster made.
Agreed. Anybody who would state such a thing knows absolutely NOTHING about the state of North Carolina, much less the South.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:47 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,278,244 times
"North Carolina is not southern and historically it never was." Okay, I'm officially losing hope in humanity. Which state is next, South Carolina? And then what, Georgia or Alabama? How about Mississippi? Really, whoever posted that has NO IDEA. Just because we have some "New South" urban areas that are diverse/fairly liberal and populated by many from outside the state and south doesn't mean the whole state is losing it's southern identity. I'm a college kid born and raised around RTP, and I have a southern accent, even though it's not super strong. These urban areas like Charlotte and the Triangle are still southern, they're just not stereotypically southern. Honestly, you can find a similar vibe in many areas of Virginia, the Atlanta metro, Nashville, etc.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:43 AM

29,955 posts, read 27,459,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
There is no one southern culture. Every region of the south has a different culture. Americans get confused about that. Alabama and Mississippi is nothing like the culture in Kentucky, Virginia and TN even though they are all Southern States.
There is an overarching theme of Southern culture, with regional variations. Northern AL is part of Appalachia and thus has a similar culture to the Appalachia regions of KY, TN, and VA; Chattanooga's metro includes parts of northeastern AL. MS and western TN are very similar culturally; Memphis is considered the capital of the Mississippi Delta region, and the roots of genres like blues and rock 'n roll, for which Memphis is known, are found in small MS towns.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:01 AM

45,115 posts, read 36,318,714 times
All this southern belle can tell you is that I know "south" when I see it or feel it or taste it or hear it or even smell it - and I love it.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:48 PM

28,281 posts, read 26,292,241 times
I guess it's also fair to ask if any states will secede from the North/Midwest. If a southern state can become "un-southern," then it's only logical that a northern state could become "un-northern."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.