U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next state to leave the South?
Virginia 37 48.05%
North Carolina 6 7.79%
Georgia 4 5.19%
Florida 20 25.97%
Texas 15 19.48%
Kentucky 2 2.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 01:07 PM

3,584 posts, read 2,503,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I guess it's also fair to ask if any states will secede from the North/Midwest. If a southern state can become "un-southern," then it's only logical that a northern state could become "un-northern."
Yep! And there lies the issue of allowing states to move into different regions.

No matter how many northerners go down south and no matter how many southerners go north the lines will not move. I'm happy to say culturally that the south has moved around and so has the north. But it won't change what states are southern and what states are northern.

Put every New Yorker in Alabama and guess what? Alabama will still be the south.
Give Mississippi the heaviest New England accent you can and guess what? Mississippi will still be the south.

Same goes vice versa and same goes for every state in every region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 03:37 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,752,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Yep! And there lies the issue of allowing states to move into different regions.

No matter how many northerners go down south and no matter how many southerners go north the lines will not move. I'm happy to say culturally that the south has moved around and so has the north. But it won't change what states are southern and what states are northern.

Put every New Yorker in Alabama and guess what? Alabama will still be the south.
Give Mississippi the heaviest New England accent you can and guess what? Mississippi will still be the south.

^^This. Spot-on.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:15 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,247,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post

Yeah, but if the backyard of Robert E. Lee (Arlington) can divorce itself from the South, then the whole region is at risk of identity obliteration.

Quote:
"From what we're finding, D.C. and Virginia are not appearing very Southern at all these days," Knotts said of the survey, published last year.
Quote:
"I do think we've reached a critical mass of some kind - we're not a real Southern state anymore," said former Virginia state senator Russell Potts, 71, a longtime lawmaker from Loudoun County and an independent gubernatorial candidate in 2005. "I happen to believe that southern Virginia now actually starts down near Richmond. You can't even say that Fredericksburg is Southern."
Fredericksburg is 53 miles away from the DC border! Yikes! We're talking about a place no one would deny was Southern in 1984. By 2044, what the hell are people going to be saying about Richmond, especially after our generation is dead and gone?

Does Virginia still feel Southern? Not so much. | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Old 09-10-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Dumbest comment of that entire commentary.
Check this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I think NC was solid southern. Just like VA was. But he same thing that happened to VA is happening, or has happened to NC. You ask anybody from NY what MD, VA, or NC is they'll they say the south. The first "southern" state to fall victim was MD. It was the extent of what Northerners viewed as the south. They'd vacation at Ocean City, move their to retire until eventually the southern culture of MD disappeared in the metros. Same thing happened to VA, though VA is still very southern outside of the metros and NOVA especially, people don't really think of it as southern. Now the same thing is happening to NC, if it hasn't already happened.

Don't confuse country and southern, they are two very different things.

In summary and conclusion, though, I'd say NC is a southern state w/ Northern influences.
In one article I was reading (I'll have to dig it up), the commenter was rejoicing that southern culture had been "banished" from the DC area. At some point, will southerness be "banished" from Virginia too with a few true southerners holding on (similar to Southern MD and the Eastern Shore)?

In 2055, our grandchildren might be talking about the time when North Carolina was a southern state.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:35 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,270,484 times
I think the Confederate heritage of Virginia is a strong reason why people still see it as a southern state. If Virginia stayed in the Union, it would probably be identified as "Mid-Atlantic" a lot more and people would group it in with Maryland based off similarities. From the Virginian's I've met, many consider Fredericksburg to be "the last stop of the south" if you're heading north. Fredericksburg was one of the sites of Robert E. Lee's most crushing victories, so that could be the case. Also, we all know Virginia as the birthplace/home of Robert E. Lee. He wasn't born in Mississippi, or maybe Georgia. He was a Virginian, and extremely proud of it. That's probably another reason. Richmond was the Capital of the Confederacy, and that's the most famous aspect of the city. I still see it as a southern city, in an Old South vein like Charleston or Savannah but maybe that's just me. I know many group it in with DC and Baltimore, maybe it goes both ways. However, I seriously doubt people are ever going to deny the fact that Richmond is southern because it was the former Capital of the Confederacy! Just drive down Monument Boulevard! With Virginia and North Carolina (not as familiar with Maryland so I'm going to keep my mouth shut), the rural areas of both states are still quite southern.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
However, I seriously doubt people are ever going to deny the fact that Richmond is southern because it was the former Capital of the Confederacy! Just drive down Monument Boulevard!
Fairfax County High School's mascot is the "Rebels." There's also a Robert E. Lee High School in Fairfax. The Jefferson Davis Highway runs directly through the heart of Alexandria, which is where Robert E. Lee grew up.

Yet that doesn't stop people from saying that Northern Virginia isn't the South. Some people say it's Northeastern.

That just goes to show how quickly things can change.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Fairfax County High School's mascot is the "Rebels." There's also a Robert E. Lee High School in Fairfax. The Jefferson Davis Highway runs directly through the heart of Alexandria, which is where Robert E. Lee grew up.

Yet that doesn't stop people from saying that Northern Virginia isn't the South. Some people say it's Northeastern.

That just goes to show how quickly things can change.
Very true, I mean look at the "Army of Northern Virginia." I've also heard that they're thinking about changing the name of the Jefferson Davis Highway in NOVA, but maybe I heard wrong. Wouldn't be surprised, though. I'd consider NOVA to be Mid-Atlantic, but the rest of Virginia is southern in my book.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:37 AM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Quote:
I guess it's also fair to ask if any states will secede from the North/Midwest. If a southern state can become "un-southern," then it's only logical that a northern state could become "un-northern."
I'd say some Northern (and Western) locales got a bit "Southernized" during the Great Migration, but since the population flow from North to South is much greater than the reverse these days, you're not going to see much of that phenomenon anymore.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Very true, I mean look at the "Army of Northern Virginia." I've also heard that they're thinking about changing the name of the Jefferson Davis Highway in NOVA, but maybe I heard wrong.
Yes, there were proposals to change the name. At some point I suppose they'll try to change it to "Robert Gould Shaw" or "William Lloyd Garrison" highway. There have also been proposals to delete the reference to "Northern Scum" from Maryland's state song. Just go ahead and rewrite the history books once you've gone that far.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Yes, there were proposals to change the name. At some point I suppose they'll try to change it to "Robert Gould Shaw" or "William Lloyd Garrison" highway. There have also been proposals to delete the reference to "Northern Scum" from Maryland's state song. Just go ahead and rewrite the history books once you've gone that far.
And Maryland didn't even secede! I think the Confederate Army sang that song while they marched through Maryland to Pennsylvania, hoping to put secession into the minds of the citizens. Apparently Baltimore was a bit of a pro-Confederate city during the war, I think there is a Robert E. Lee park somewhere in that city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.