U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next state to leave the South?
Virginia 37 48.05%
North Carolina 6 7.79%
Georgia 4 5.19%
Florida 20 25.97%
Texas 15 19.48%
Kentucky 2 2.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 07:19 PM

4,475 posts, read 7,303,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat_popsicle View Post
Compared to TN, FL's not even a southern state. But thanks for playing.
The last sentence is a typical troll response. I'll never understand why some people think this is a competition. It is purely opinion and you don't agree with another poster's opinion, so you feel the need to be condescending in response. It's really quite juvenile.

Anyway, both Florida and Tennessee are purely southern states despite one half of Florida being more influenced by outside sources. That doesn't at ALL discount the rest of (and really, most of) the state of Florida being southern. Geographically, obviously, and culturally.

As for the poll, I refuse to vote because, again, no state will "secede". Perhaps the OP should have chosen a different word to describe the changes that have occurred in the various states listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 07:31 PM

13,424 posts, read 16,994,819 times
I'm so sick and tired of these ignorant nonsensical threads. How come nobody ever asks "what state will be next to secede from the Northeast, or Midwest, or West?" Because there's this ASSUMPTION that something is inherently wrong, flawed or "less civilized" about Southern states -- which is complete and total BS.

The South is the one region of the country with the most unique culture, history, food and lifestyle, -- and may it forever be so.

Last edited by Newsboy; 08-26-2014 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: B

Old 08-26-2014, 08:58 PM

165 posts, read 151,624 times
Yank troll thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:59 PM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,203,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litefoot View Post
i don't know......
But I sure wish Texas would secede from the union. I would be moving there pretty damn quick.....
Lonestar
As a born and raised Texan, I can tell you that I'm getting pretty damn sick of this "secede" crap. Joking or not...

Old 08-26-2014, 10:16 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,470,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Some states have officially become "un-southern" due to migratory trends and political realignment. What will be the next southern state to leave the South for another region of the US?
Kentucky never seceded the first time around, you know.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:49 PM

45,089 posts, read 36,318,714 times
I can't vote in the poll, because "none of the above" wasn't given as an option.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:27 PM

18,656 posts, read 27,102,729 times
Are people actually believing Florida as a whole isn't Southern anymore? The majority of that state is Sputhern, period.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:47 AM

2,343 posts, read 2,757,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Are people actually believing Florida as a whole isn't Southern anymore? The majority of that state is Sputhern, period.
Sputhern = Spun and Southern.

PS. I know it was a typo. Just goofin'.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:57 AM

734 posts, read 733,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
The last sentence is a typical troll response. I'll never understand why some people think this is a competition. It is purely opinion and you don't agree with another poster's opinion, so you feel the need to be condescending in response. It's really quite juvenile.

Anyway, both Florida and Tennessee are purely southern states despite one half of Florida being more influenced by outside sources. That doesn't at ALL discount the rest of (and really, most of) the state of Florida being southern. Geographically, obviously, and culturally.
There's a saying in Florida. You have to drive north to visit the south. If you want to speak geographically, sure, Florida is a southern state. But visit any part of it outside the panhandle and come back and tell us that it's "purely" southern, because we'll be here to tell you you're wrong.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:00 AM

734 posts, read 733,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I wasn't "playing". I was mocking your ignorance. And since you're apparently one of those "enlightened" individuals who gauges all things Southern on tired media-driven stereotypes, I can definitely tell you that some of the most backward, inbred, toothless, uneducated yokels I've ever seen concentrated in one area was in... you guessed it... Florida. Tennessee actually seems a lot more civilized by comparison.
You're entitled to your opinions, even though they're purely based on misinformation and hyperbole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.