U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next state to leave the South?
Virginia 37 48.05%
North Carolina 6 7.79%
Georgia 4 5.19%
Florida 20 25.97%
Texas 15 19.48%
Kentucky 2 2.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 06:53 AM

10,162 posts, read 6,493,522 times

Advertisements

What Will Be the Next State to Secede from the South?

The stupidity of these threads never cease to amaze me. No states have seceded from the south. I don't understand what is in the mind of some people on this board. Intelligence is certainly lacking with a number of people here.
What a stupid question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 06:55 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,167,266 times
The foolishness of liberals never ceases to amaze me, but generally speaking, I keep that opinion to myself because it sounds so harsh and jarring.

I voted "Virginia," just because it's what I really, really, really want.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
The foolishness of liberals never ceases to amaze me, but generally speaking, I keep that opinion to myself because it sounds so harsh and jarring.

I voted "Virginia," just because it's what I really, really, really want.

Well my family is from Virginia, and that is certainly not what Virginians want. The highways North are open if you wish to take that route.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:36 AM

10,401 posts, read 19,425,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Some states have officially become "un-southern" due to migratory trends and political realignment. What will be the next southern state to leave the South for another region of the US?
The South is The South--it doesn't matter how many people move there. And you can't "secede" from a region. can a state "secede" from New England?

Every Southern state is still Southern, even if its cities are "New South" urban. "Southern" does not mean "ignorant and redneck", it means geography and to some degree a way of life that most people in other states want--slower paced, polite people who teach their children manners, etc. Ironically, as more people move into Southern states, they are diluting the very "Southern manners" and slower pace that they came looking for.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:38 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,247,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The South is The South--it doesn't matter how many people move there. And you can't "secede" from a region. can a state "secede" from New England?
Of course a state can. Maryland used to be part of the South. No more.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:39 AM

12,422 posts, read 11,929,235 times
Man, people in this thread are thick.

The reason BajanYankee made this thread is because people in another thread were arguing that while Maryland was historically a southern state, it no longer was one for various reasons (less southern accents, northern transplants, liberal voting record, diverse suburbs, high levels of education/wealth, etc).

If this logic is true (IMHO it isn't), than any other southern state which develops in a similar manner would also cease to be southern.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:43 AM

10,401 posts, read 19,425,752 times
Quote:
Even if that were inarguably true, it didn't "secede", which implies a voluntary choice. Personally I've never really considered Maryland "Southern"--it was a Union state in the Civil War and is Mid-Atlantic geographically. But please point to the date that someone in MD said "We officially secede from the South now!"

Old 08-27-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:

You are actually serious aren't you? Wow! I feel that my mind is going in reverse when I read some of this "stuff."

Old 08-27-2014, 07:45 AM

44,813 posts, read 36,186,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Well my family is from Virginia, and that is certainly not what Virginians want. The highways North are open if you wish to take that route.
I used to live in Virginia and it's my favorite southern state (very closely followed by Texas). I especially love the "southernness" and the rich history and traditions of the beautiful, genteel, elegant state of Virginia and am glad to embrace it as an integral part of the American South, which also happens to be my favorite region of my favorite country in the world - the United States.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:48 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,247,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Even if that were inarguably true, it didn't "secede", which implies a voluntary choice. Personally I've never really considered Maryland "Southern"--it was a Union state in the Civil War and is Mid-Atlantic geographically. But please point to the date that someone in MD said "We officially secede from the South now!"
Maryland Trying To Secede From The South

Sleepy, Southern And Segregated: What D.C. Was Like In '63 : NPR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.