U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next state to leave the South?
Virginia 37 48.05%
North Carolina 6 7.79%
Georgia 4 5.19%
Florida 20 25.97%
Texas 15 19.48%
Kentucky 2 2.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:52 AM

17,250 posts, read 19,550,442 times

Advertisements

BajanYankee has been on a bashing Maryland and Washington DC binge for the past several weeks. That's what threads like these are subtly about.

But as with everything, this too shall come to pass. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 07:54 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,247,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
BajanYankee has been on a bashing Maryland and Washington DC binge for the past several weeks. That's what threads like these are subtly about.

But as with everything, this too shall come to pass. :-)
Doesn't "bashing" mean something negative?

Old 08-27-2014, 07:55 AM

10,162 posts, read 6,493,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Of course a state can. Maryland used to be part of the South. No more.

I have been researching what you said here, and I can't find any information what so ever that Maryland seceded from the South. Perhaps you will be so kind as to present that information to the ignorant like myself when that occurred. And by the way would you please include the other southern states that also seceded. Thanking you in advance for your assistance in this endeavor.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I have been researching what you said here, and I can't find any information what so ever that Maryland seceded from the South. Perhaps you will be so kind as to present that information to the ignorant like myself when that occurred. And by the way would you please include the other southern states that also seceded. Thanking you in advance for your assistance in this endeavor.
If you're looking for an official Ordinance of Secession, then no, you won't find that. But if you mean a state that once had a southern identity that no longer does, then it's fairly easy to find evidence of that on the WWW.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
If you're looking for an official Ordinance of Secession, then no, you won't find that. But if you mean a state that once had a southern identity that no longer does, then it's fairly easy to find evidence of that on the WWW.

I can find any kind of nonsense that I want on the WWW. I don't care about ignorance. I know what reality is, and that is the only thing that interest me. I do not care to indulge in stupidity. All southern states are still southern states. I could care less about how many "foreigners" move in, that does not change the fact that the state is still southern.

And BTW, they teach things like this in school. I see posts on this board like what states are Mid Atlantic, what states are northeastern, what states are Southern? Did these people attend school? All stupid questions.

Last edited by Scotty011; 08-27-2014 at 08:14 AM..

Old 08-27-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I can find any kind of nonsense that I want on the WWW. I don't care about ignorance. I know what reality is, and that is the only thing that interest me. I do not care to indulge in stupidity. All southern states are still southern states. I could care less about how many "foreigners" move in, that does not change the fact that the state is still southern.
But most Marylanders would not agree they are southerners (at least 60% according to a UNC poll).

Quote:
And BTW, they teach things like this in school. I see posts on this board like what states are Mid Atlantic, what states are northeastern, what states are Southern? Did these people attend school? All stupid questions.
What were you taught in school?

Old 08-27-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:

What is it with having a "Southern identity that disturbs you? Most southerners are very proud of their "Southern identity" and would have it no other way. It seems to be Some Northerners that are eager to take away the "Southern identity." This is one thing I fail to understand. Mostly ignorant people indulge in this sort of thing.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:21 AM

44,800 posts, read 36,186,607 times
Quote:

PREACH IT, BROTHER.

This sort of thread falls under the category of "cheap entertainment" in my book.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:24 AM

2,843 posts, read 3,768,040 times
Since we're talking culture here, I'd say TX and NC are most at risk of draining off their southern influences. TX has massive immigration (and it's not just Latinos), Two bona-fide developing global mega cities in Dallas and Houston chock full of transplants, and also had many outside influences within the state to begin with (Western, Mexican, German, and a little Creole). NC is also swelling up with transplants but unlike say GA, whose transplants almost 100% of the time head to Atlanta, NC seems to have new folks all over from Raleigh, the Triad and of course, Charlotte. Florida, I'd argue is already gone below I-4, which not to be dismissive of the rest of the state, but really is the part that matters. Georgia outside Atlanta and Virginia outside NOVA should probably be pretty safe since neither state has areas of economic draw outside the afromentioned regions.

What is somewhat ironic and perhaps a dose of poetic justice is what may save some of these states from really losing their Southern flavor is the massive re-migration of African-Americans into these states. Atlanta is the most striking example of this phenominon. However mixed the feelings amongst both White southerners and African-Americans about their shared history the reality is the AA community culturally, religioulsy, and socially still largley retains the thought patterns of the American South and their reintergration and growth there may actually be the trend that keeps the cultural legacy of the South from receding into history.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
But most Marylanders would not agree they are southerners (at least 60% according to a UNC poll).

What were you taught in school?

I was taught what the South, North, East, and West states were. Like most people in this country. I don't have to come here and ask what the southern states or the northern states are. I already have that information from the education I received in school. Perhaps gubment students did not receive all of this information, and need forums like this to obtain their education. I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.