U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Next state to leave the South?
Virginia 37 48.05%
North Carolina 6 7.79%
Georgia 4 5.19%
Florida 20 25.97%
Texas 15 19.48%
Kentucky 2 2.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2014, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
45,131 posts, read 36,318,714 times
Reputation: 63855

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But most Marylanders would not agree they are southerners (at least 60% according to a UNC poll).



What were you taught in school?
I was taught that Maryland is a Mid Atlantic state and that it wasn't part of the Confederacy. I was taught that, like WV, it was a border state that had both southern and northern influences. I was taught that efforts in Maryland to secede during the era of the Civil War were stopped by martial law.

I really like Maryland and enjoyed living there, but I have never considered it a "southern" state. It looks and feels like a mid Atlantic state to me, and that's fine. I love that region and enjoyed my time there immensely, though I personally prefer living in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2014, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,284 posts, read 26,292,241 times
Reputation: 11744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I was taught what the South, North, East, and West states were. Like most people in this country. I don't have to come here and ask what the southern states or the northern states are. I already have that information from the education I received in school. Perhaps gubment students did not receive all of this information, and need forums like this to obtain their education. I don't know.
Didn't really answer my question...

Are non "gubment" students private-school educated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 08:29 AM
 
Location: One of the 13 original colonies.
10,168 posts, read 6,505,281 times
Reputation: 8034
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
PREACH IT, BROTHER.

This sort of thread falls under the category of "cheap entertainment" in my book.

Exactly! I get so sick of the ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 08:30 AM
 
29,957 posts, read 27,459,781 times
Reputation: 18547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Since we're talking culture here, I'd say TX and NC are most at risk of draining off their southern influences. TX has massive immigration (and it's not just Latinos), Two bona-fide developing global mega cities in Dallas and Houston chock full of transplants, and also had many outside influences within the state to begin with (Western, Mexican, German, and a little Creole). NC is also swelling up with transplants but unlike say GA, whose transplants almost 100% of the time head to Atlanta, NC seems to have new folks all over from Raleigh, the Triad and of course, Charlotte. Florida, I'd argue is already gone below I-4, which not to be dismissive of the rest of the state, but really is the part that matters. Georgia outside Atlanta and Virginia outside NOVA should probably be pretty safe since neither state has areas of economic draw outside the afromentioned regions.
I think NC is relatively safe and while the Triad is growing, I'd actually say more transplants head to Wilmington, at least as a percentage of the overall population. The Triad still retains a good bit of cultural Southernness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,284 posts, read 26,292,241 times
Reputation: 11744
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I really like Maryland and enjoyed living there, but I have never considered it a "southern" state. It looks and feels like a mid Atlantic state to me, and that's fine. I love that region and enjoyed my time there immensely, though I personally prefer living in the South.
But that's not really the point.

In 1960, Maryland was undeniably a southern state. It was a founding member of the Southern Legislative Conference and the Southern Governors Association. It was also a Jim Crow state. There are a number of sources confirming its status as a southern state.

Nowadays, however, Maryland doesn't consider itself southern, and people's feelings about the state have changed. I mean, my dad was a college student in Washington, DC in the 1960s when there was virtually unanimous consent it was southern. Fast forward 50 years and few people consider it southern. By 2064, Virginia might find itself in a similar position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 08:33 AM
 
Location: One of the 13 original colonies.
10,168 posts, read 6,505,281 times
Reputation: 8034
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Didn't really answer my question...

Are non "gubment" students private-school educated?


You asked what I was taught in school, and I answered you. What else do you want? I would say that most non government school students are privately educated. Yes.

What I don't understand is why you are trying to make Southern states "unsouthern?" In case you did not know being Southern is "a good thing."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 08:37 AM
 
Location: One of the 13 original colonies.
10,168 posts, read 6,505,281 times
Reputation: 8034
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I was taught that Maryland is a Mid Atlantic state and that it wasn't part of the Confederacy. I was taught that, like WV, it was a border state that had both southern and northern influences. I was taught that efforts in Maryland to secede during the era of the Civil War were stopped by martial law.

I really like Maryland and enjoyed living there, but I have never considered it a "southern" state. It looks and feels like a mid Atlantic state to me, and that's fine. I love that region and enjoyed my time there immensely, though I personally prefer living in the South.




That's what I was taught also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
45,131 posts, read 36,318,714 times
Reputation: 63855
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But that's not really the point.

In 1960, Maryland was undeniably a southern state. It was a founding member of the Southern Legislative Conference and the Southern Governors Association. It was also a Jim Crow state. There are a number of sources confirming its status as a southern state.

Nowadays, however, Maryland doesn't consider itself southern, and people's feelings about the state have changed. I mean, my dad was a college student in Washington, DC in the 1960s when there was virtually unanimous consent it was southern. Fast forward 50 years and few people consider it southern. By 2064, Virginia might find itself in a similar position.
A state can't "consider itself" ANYTHING - southern or otherwise. It boils down to a combination of actual geography, history, and the beliefs/affinities of the wide range of people who live in the state.

All states and regions change over time, as people migrate, and as culture and society morphs. No one region is "like it always was" - just ask the American Indians if you don't believe me. Or the people of the Alsace Lorraine region of France - or the people of the Czech Republic and Slovakia, or any other sort of region. I don't know why that should be surprising or threatening.

For the first time since the formation of the United States, white non Hispanic kids are not the majority in our public school system. As a white, non Hispanic woman, I am a minority in the state of Texas. So what? Things change. Societies change. Always have, always will.

That being said, geographically as well as historically, Maryland's status as "southern" has been tenuous at best. It's a border state. Just as Texas is a border state, and WV, and Arkansas. You can find "southern" as well as "southwestern" and "midwestern" tendencies and traits in those states and it's neither alarming nor mysterious. It is what it is. Each state is unique. And every state and region continues to evolve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,284 posts, read 26,292,241 times
Reputation: 11744
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All states and regions change over time, as people migrate, and as culture and society morphs.
Which means that Virginia can leave the South...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That being said, geographically as well as historically, Maryland's status as "southern" has been tenuous at best. It's a border state.
That wasn't so true 50 years ago. How people think today in 2014 has no bearing on how they thought about the state of affairs in 1964.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
45,131 posts, read 36,318,714 times
Reputation: 63855
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Which means that Virginia can leave the South...
LOL Virginia will have a hard time moving all that land and all those cities...and don't even get me started on the mountains.

Migration changes places, lifestyles, etc. Look at New York, New Orleans, Houston after Katrina, and just about every Texas city. Heck, at age 52 I'm seriously considering learning to speak Spanish because I see it as a necessary skill in the near future in my state - and so what?

The SOUTH will change - just as every other region and state changes over time.

But unless you're proposing some sort of alternative universe, south will always be, well...south. But even that's relative and pretty impossible to pin down, unless you live at the North Pole.

I recently drove through West Virginia. My husband and I spent some time at Greenbrier Resort. We're from Texas and Louisiana. We got a big kick out of a WEST VIRGINIA touristy spot selling "Southern style" cookbooks and "Southern" trinkets with magnolias and pictures of antebellum homes, etc on them. We don't consider West Virginia to "feel" southern - and yet many tourists from other parts of the US consider it VERY "southern." To me, Maryland has NEVER felt "southern," and for that matter, Oklahoma doesn't feel "southern" to me either - and neither does Wichita Falls, Texas or Mountain View, Arkansas - but many people living in those areas or visiting them from other regions consider them to be VERY "southern" so who am I to argue with them?

It's a matter of personal perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top