U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Next state to leave the South?
Virginia 37 48.05%
North Carolina 6 7.79%
Georgia 4 5.19%
Florida 20 25.97%
Texas 15 19.48%
Kentucky 2 2.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2014, 09:03 AM
 
Location: One of the 13 original colonies.
10,158 posts, read 6,486,683 times
Reputation: 8021

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Which means that Virginia can leave the South...



That wasn't so true 50 years ago. How people think today in 2014 has no bearing on how they thought about the state of affairs in 1964.



Can you answer one question? Why would Virginia want to leave the South? This is what I am trying to understand. It absolutely makes no sense to me. And no, it is impossible for Virginia to "leave the South."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2014, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,252 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Reputation: 11706
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL Virginia will have a hard time moving all that land and all those cities...and don't even get me started on the mountains.
It doesn't have to move any cities or mountains. The physical boundaries of the state need not change; only people's concept of the boundaries of the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
To me, Maryland has NEVER felt "southern," and for that matter, Oklahoma doesn't feel "southern" to me either - and neither does Wichita Falls, Texas or Mountain View, Arkansas - but many people living in those areas or visiting them from other regions consider them to be VERY "southern" so who am I to argue with them?
I'm not asking about your subjective evalutations of southerness. I'm talking about the historical record of Maryland being a southern state. Your perceptions of a place in the present day has no bearing on what it was like before you were born.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,252 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Reputation: 11706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
And no, it is impossible for Virginia to "leave the South."
But it wasn't impossible for Maryland to leave the South. That's what's confusing me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,684 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Reputation: 63246
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It doesn't have to move any cities or mountains. The physical boundaries of the state need not change; only people's concept of the boundaries of the South.



I'm not asking about your subjective evalutations of southerness. I'm talking about the historical record of Maryland being a southern state. Your perceptions of a place in the present day has no bearing on what it was like before you were born.
No, actually what you asked is "which state would be the next to secede from the south?" That question BEGS for subjective opinions because the simple FACT is that no southern state can actually pack up and leave the South. So the very nature of the question boils down to answers based on personal perceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,252 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Reputation: 11706
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No, actually what you asked is "which state would be the next to secede from the south?" That question BEGS for subjective opinions because the simple FACT is that no southern state can actually pack up and leave the South. So the very nature of the question boils down to answers based on personal perceptions.
That's clearly not true. Maryland was a southern state (fact). You say, however, that it's not a southern state today. Is that not evidence that a state can "actually pack up and leave the South"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 09:25 AM
 
Location: One of the 13 original colonies.
10,158 posts, read 6,486,683 times
Reputation: 8021
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's clearly not true. Maryland was a southern state (fact). You say, however, that it's not a southern state today. Is that not evidence that a state can "actually pack up and leave the South"?

If in fact Maryland was a Southern state as you say, then it is still a Southern state, since it is impossible for a state to change locations. And I am through with this nonsense. I feel my IQ had dropped 25 points arguing this stupidity,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Nashville TN
4,925 posts, read 4,912,763 times
Reputation: 4778
Florida is a state that is impossible to define thou. Nothern Florida and the Panhandle are in the Deep South. Miami/South Florida is a mix of northeasters, internationals and Latinos. Central Florida around Orlando is similar to Miami lots of transplants from the northeast just not as bad and tourists from all over the world. Tampa area is a mix of the south and northeastern. Daytona Beach is sort of redneck area and very southern. Tally and Gainesville felt like the south when I visited. Florida is still southern but its a state that is impossible to define because its do diverse and big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 09:34 AM
 
320 posts, read 473,542 times
Reputation: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Some states have officially become "un-southern" due to migratory trends and political realignment. What will be the next southern state to leave the South for another region of the US?
It's the Midwestern state Georgia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,684 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Reputation: 63246
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's clearly not true. Maryland was a southern state (fact). You say, however, that it's not a southern state today. Is that not evidence that a state can "actually pack up and leave the South"?
Sigh. Maryland is and always was a border state. It has southern and northern and midatlantic influences - always has and always will. Of course, like I've stated over and over again, it's culture will continue to evolve. But I would bet that 100 years from now, you will be able to find people who identify Maryland as "southern" and those who don't. Just like 100 years ago.

By the way, geographically, Maryland is a northeastern US state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,684 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Reputation: 63246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
If in fact Maryland was a Southern state as you say, then it is still a Southern state, since it is impossible for a state to change locations. And I am through with this nonsense. I feel my IQ had dropped 25 points arguing this stupidity,
Ain't it dee troof?

I am just not going to argue about whether Texas, Maryland, or Florida are culturally southern states. IT IS AN EXERCISE IN FUTILITY and a ridiculous thing to argue about anyway. Neither position can be proven one way or the other - EXCEPT that at least Texas and Florida are indeed GEOGRAPHICALLY in the southern part of the US. Maryland is not. And that's a fact, Jack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top