U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:19 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,440,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedmountains724 View Post
Boise... an area with a lot of potential for growth in the future
Yeah, you could even say there was no way but up:

Idaho's average wages worst in nation - Spokesman.com - Jan. 2, 2014
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 09:19 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,071,581 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses so far.

I was actually just in Bend about 2 months ago and absolutely loved it there! Just as you stated takuriver, my only concern about it was the size. It seemed great during my brief vacation there, but I wonder if it is too small and isolated. Also, I hear conflicting information regarding the actual amount of sunshine there. From the research that I've done, the "300 days" claim is simply incorrect.

Both Boulder and Fort Collins are on my list of places to visit in the near future. I love the mountains of Colorado, but I haven't been to either city yet. I also like the fact that they are close enough to a large metro area like Denver.

Chico is very interesting. I've never even considered it before, but I definitely will now. I've done a little research into Sacramento because of its incredible central location. I mean how can you beat being in between SF, Napa, the California coast, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, and the rest of the Sierra Nevada mountains nearby. Talk about the best of everything! However, I have also heard people say that you only live in Sacramento for this reason, not so much for what the city itself offers.

Boise is very intriguing. For me, it's a perfect sized city. Large enough for plenty of activities, but not too big that crime, pollution, and traffic are glaringly present. It's also an area with a lot of potential for growth in the future, so I like that aspect too.

Any thoughts on Spokane? Reno? Missoula or Bozeman?
I'm glad you visited Bend; I was going to mention it earlier. I'd add Hood River to the mix; not as much sunshine but a cool place and only an hour from Portland. I can vouch for Boulder and Ft. Collins. They're close to the mountains, but especially in the case of Ft. Collins, they aren't in them. That can be a good thing and a bad thing. Good to get around, bad in that you're really on the plains and (for me, anyway) always wanting to be in them.

Boise is surprisingly nice, we stayed there a few weeks ago and it's a pleasant place to be, and a bigger city than I imagined. I'm not personally interested in living in Idaho, but the state is nicely located. Spokane gets a bad rap; it has very cheap housing, it's decent-sized and has a surprisingly big airport, and a good amount of micros and the location is awesome in that you can access the Rockies and Cascades relatively easily.

My family lives in MT, in both Missoula and Bozeman. Nice cities, good beer scenes and great access to outdoor amenities. They're both college towns with a good amount of people cruising around and both are very bike friendly. Bozeman definitely gets more sun. The only negative would be distance from a major city.

You might also want to look at Taos and Santa Fe. They'll give you the sunshine you desire, there's a reasonable amount of microbreweries, they have walkable downtowns and unique local flavor and cuisine, and they're reasonably close to Albuquerque.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:22 AM

5,102 posts, read 5,980,515 times
Asheville.

I doubt the 4 seasons are as distinct as some of the other places mentioned, but it fits the OP criteria very well overall.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:21 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,194,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Asheville.

I doubt the 4 seasons are as distinct as some of the other places mentioned, but it fits the OP criteria very well overall.
Except for the first one: "Cities out west........."

Old 08-28-2014, 09:20 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,150,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Yeah, you could even say there was no way but up:
Boise has been growing for quite some time and has had some of the highest growth rates in the nation in recent years. The Median Household Income for Boise is higher then any other city listed thus far in this thread except for Boulder per current info I pulled up at Forbes.com. Boise also has one of the lowest unemplyment rates in the West and is lower then the current national average. Outside of Boise and a few other small cities in the state, Idaho is rural so the numbers in the link you provided do not represent Boise in general. Good try though..kudos to you

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 09-11-2014 at 05:51 AM..

Old 08-28-2014, 03:51 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,464,772 times
I like Chico/Paradise, just be aware that summer in the valley is very hot, and personally I think it's a stretch to say it has '4' seasons. I suppose it technically has winter, but really, even overnight lows generally don't reach freezing. Avg Jan high is mid-50s.

Bidwell park makes a very nice centerpiece for the town, the dining is good (plus bakeries and coffee shops and the farmer's market), and the college provides some culture - despite being a bit of a party school - with Sacramento 2-2.5 hours away. Could do weekend runs to Tahoe.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:53 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,440,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Outside of Boise and a few other small cities in the state, Idaho is rural so the numbers in the link you provided do not represent Boise in general. Good try though..kudos to you
Well, this is from your link: "The data is based upon 2010 estimates." The economy has, well, changed a little since then. Oops!

My info was from this year, and from an Idaho newspaper. So, good try though...kudos back at you

Old 08-28-2014, 06:09 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,615,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Well, this is from your link: "The data is based upon 2010 estimates." The economy has, well, changed a little since then. Oops!

My info was from this year, and from an Idaho newspaper. So, good try though...kudos back at you
You both need to kiss and lick each others ears and you can whisper "kudos" to each other.

Also, the info in that Spokesman article refers to 2012 numbers. The economy has, well changed a little since then. Whoopsy

A quick online search brings up 2012 numbers because 2013 figures will be available later this year. The numbers are still similar to what syringaloid posted earlier. The economy in Boise is growing and most of us who actually live in Boise know that the wages in the rest of the state, which accounts for a little over half of the remainder of the states population, are lower then in Boise which brings the averages down. The Medical and high tech industries in Boise are really taking off and the city is booming with a lot of new jobs. If someone wants a quality of life that is better then a lot of other cities then Boise is a great choice.

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 08-28-2014 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: added a comment

Old 08-29-2014, 10:12 AM

21,189 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Asheville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Except for the first one: "Cities out west........."

Sometimes people need to be nudged away from their geographic stereotypes.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:21 PM

4,812 posts, read 4,997,343 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses so far.

Chico is very interesting. I've never even considered it before, but I definitely will now. I've done a little research into Sacramento because of its incredible central location. I mean how can you beat being in between SF, Napa, the California coast, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, and the rest of the Sierra Nevada mountains nearby. Talk about the best of everything! However, I have also heard people say that you only live in Sacramento for this reason, not so much for what the city itself offers.
True, about Sacramento's awesome location, not true about the City of Sacramento lacking in attributes. Especially in the last 10 years, Sacramento has a lot of charm, character, and culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or