U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 01:27 AM

84 posts, read 124,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedmountains724 View Post
Chico is very interesting. I've never even considered it before, but I definitely will now. I've done a little research into Sacramento because of its incredible central location. I mean how can you beat being in between SF, Napa, the California coast, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, and the rest of the Sierra Nevada mountains nearby. Talk about the best of everything! However, I have also heard people say that you only live in Sacramento for this reason, not so much for what the city itself offers.
Sacramento can be very hit-or-miss, it really depends on which community in the Sacramento area you decide to land in. I'm personally not a fan, since much of what I seen has either been very dull or very ghetto. I've had a number of friends who have lived in the area at one point or another, some friends lived in Fair Oaks, they ended up leaving the area altogether because they had some safety concerns. On the other hand, I know some people who have made a nice life for themselves in Newcastle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 11:43 AM

4,817 posts, read 5,015,454 times
Sacramento’s strengths are water recreation in town, rivers and lakes. Interesting, charming tree-heavy midtown. A downtown on the verge of becoming more lively and interesting and becoming even more connected with the cozy midtown.

It's 100 year old tree lined charming neighborhoods surrounding the core. And of course, it’s convenient location to large mountains, spectacular coastline, and beautiful rural countryside.

It’s still a town where if you don’t know where your going you will find plenty of suburban vanilla, some ghettoish neighborhoods, and a bit of grit. Which keeps everything affordable and forever allows for the next cozy neighborhood to be discovered and gentrified.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:19 PM

54 posts, read 66,015 times
Mizoula, Montana. Totally.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:30 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,127,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiBlackhawks View Post
Mizoula, Montana. Totally.
I third that. I was a guest lecturer years ago at UM and found Missoula to be so charming. UM has a superlative Creative Writing program as well.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:17 PM

11 posts, read 12,199 times
My only reservation about Sacramento is safety. Does anyone have any input regarding crime and gangs in the Sacramento area? I live in Florida now and I'm just sick of the crime. At this point, safety is one of the most important aspects in a potential future city.

As far as Missoula goes, Montana is incredibly beautiful but I just don't know if I could handle being so isolated from a major city. It's just nice to be close to professional sporting events, concerts, nightlife, and variety of restaurants even if its just for a weekend trip.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:46 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,846,166 times
Boulder or Fort Collins. Can't go wrong.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:25 PM

18,138 posts, read 23,065,856 times
Lake Tahoe/Reno, if you don't mind snow, was my first thought.

Otherwise, look for any major metropolis, or university town, and you will find your beer culture :-)

Old 09-08-2014, 07:21 PM

11 posts, read 12,199 times
Hiking and mountain biking are my two favorite outdoor activities, so having a multitude of quality trails near the city I live in is very important. I already know that places like Bend, Oregon and Boulder/Ft. Collins, Colorado have incredible mountain biking nearby... but what about the Sacramento area? I realize there is plenty of riding within a 2-3 hour drive, but I am wondering more about trails closer to the city itself. And does anyone know if northern California has downhill riding on a similar level to Colorado or Oregon?

Old 09-08-2014, 11:32 PM

18,138 posts, read 23,065,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedmountains724 View Post
Hiking and mountain biking are my two favorite outdoor activities, so having a multitude of quality trails near the city I live in is very important. I already know that places like Bend, Oregon and Boulder/Ft. Collins, Colorado have incredible mountain biking nearby... but what about the Sacramento area? I realize there is plenty of riding within a 2-3 hour drive, but I am wondering more about trails closer to the city itself. And does anyone know if northern California has downhill riding on a similar level to Colorado or Oregon?
Sacramento is flat. Folsom might work. Or up into the foothills/mountains - Placerville, Auburn...

Chico, Paradise...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or