U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2014, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Who Cares, USA
2,343 posts, read 2,751,049 times
Reputation: 2258

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
You blew it out of proportion. Let me say it differently.

I like it when places have a distinct culture/style that is unique. For example, Boston is very unique. And Charleston is very unique. And New Orleans. Etc.

I want some diversity as well. But if EVERY city in the country simply became melting pots of culture, what will they look like in 50 years from now? They'll all be indistinguishable, which is sad IMO.
You're not making much sense with this. How do you know what ANY city is going to look or feel like 50 years from now? That's a pretty broad statement.

Oh, and I should remind you... in both Charleston and New Orleans you will hear the word "y'all" frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2014, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,121,705 times
Reputation: 7075
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You SAY you don't mind diversity or differences, but then you talk about being afraid to move outside of CT due to culture shock, and you say you can't stand the idea of living anywhere where people say "y'all." Maybe you don't mind diversity...as long as it's far away from you.

Have you been to Charleston (I'm assuming you mean SC, not WV or some other Charleston) and/or New Orleans? If so...how could you bear all that y'all'in'?

My gosh, I hate to think what your reaction would be if someone said, "ALL y'all come on in for supper."
I've never been to Charleston or New Orleans, but for some reason, it seems more acceptable for the phrase "y'all" to be used there. You know? Because those cities are quintessential southern charming cities with rich history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,121,705 times
Reputation: 7075
KathrynAragon,

Have you ever been to Pittsburgh, PA? I never have, but on paper it seems like it could work out great for me. It's not too large or overly congested. It has nice hills, four seasons and leans liberal with politics. A sizeable gay population, plenty of jobs and 1 hr 20 min direct flights to Hartford to visit family, which is nice. And housing is even cheaper than Texas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 08:10 PM
 
Location: The land where God created :)
230 posts, read 279,754 times
Reputation: 124
Texas has long summers that are burning hot & humid, and boring cities with lack of tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Who Cares, USA
2,343 posts, read 2,751,049 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivierad View Post
Texas has long summers that are burning hot & humid, and boring cities with lack of tourists.
The IQ points and levels of wit and depth just keep getting higher and higher in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,742 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Reputation: 63367
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
KathrynAragon,

Have you ever been to Pittsburgh, PA? I never have, but on paper it seems like it could work out great for me. It's not too large or overly congested. It has nice hills, four seasons and leans liberal with politics. A sizeable gay population, plenty of jobs and 1 hr 20 min direct flights to Hartford to visit family, which is nice. And housing is even cheaper than Texas!
I've been to Pittsburgh. In fact, I was there just a couple of weeks ago. It's OK. I thought the people were pretty friendly, friendlier than in the City of Brotherly Love in my opinion, which was surprising - but then Pittsburgh has a more blue collar feel to it and seems more laid back.

The thing about the housing that struck me was that so much of it seemed so old, and small, and crowded up. Also the roads seemed very small and twisty and frankly, everything just seemed older and dirtier than where I live. I don't mean to offend anyone, but that's just how it struck me. But I'm sure there are some nice areas of Pittsburgh that I didn't see.

I know they have chain restaurants there by the boatload. But we had a good breakfast at
Eggs R Us, Pittsburgh - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor It's a cool little dive.

The terrain is pretty. My husband works up there a lot and of course, since he's a Texan, he thinks the winters there are RIDICULOUS. But you're from up that way so you probably wouldn't mind it as much.

We considered moving up to that area because my husband works up there so much but after several visits to the region, we took it off our list. Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. You might like it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 12:08 AM
 
4 posts, read 2,217 times
Reputation: 10
How's the railroad industry looking out in Texas, right now? New construction going on, or primarily track maintenance? And if so, what are some of the bigger yards or contractors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 12:14 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,121,705 times
Reputation: 7075
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've been to Pittsburgh. In fact, I was there just a couple of weeks ago. It's OK. I thought the people were pretty friendly, friendlier than in the City of Brotherly Love in my opinion, which was surprising - but then Pittsburgh has a more blue collar feel to it and seems more laid back.

The thing about the housing that struck me was that so much of it seemed so old, and small, and crowded up. Also the roads seemed very small and twisty and frankly, everything just seemed older and dirtier than where I live. I don't mean to offend anyone, but that's just how it struck me. But I'm sure there are some nice areas of Pittsburgh that I didn't see.

I know they have chain restaurants there by the boatload. But we had a good breakfast at
Eggs R Us, Pittsburgh - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor It's a cool little dive.

The terrain is pretty. My husband works up there a lot and of course, since he's a Texan, he thinks the winters there are RIDICULOUS. But you're from up that way so you probably wouldn't mind it as much.

We considered moving up to that area because my husband works up there so much but after several visits to the region, we took it off our list. Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. You might like it though.
Wow! I read your mind.....who would have thought that you just went to Pittsburgh a few weeks ago!

Anyway, the climate/weather doesn't bother me one bit. I can handle anything, because I'm from New England. I actually prefer that type of climate because of the variety it offers.

Your comments regarding the houses and roads are interesting. I have spent a lot of time looking at random spots on Google Street View in the area, and everything you said seems to ring true.

Sigh...it's probably a stupid idea to apply for jobs at a place I've never been to.

Now I want to know your opinion on Columbus and Indianapolis!

Thanks for the advice....such a nice lady!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 05:20 AM
 
56,593 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Reputation: 12500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Wow! I read your mind.....who would have thought that you just went to Pittsburgh a few weeks ago!

Anyway, the climate/weather doesn't bother me one bit. I can handle anything, because I'm from New England. I actually prefer that type of climate because of the variety it offers.

Your comments regarding the houses and roads are interesting. I have spent a lot of time looking at random spots on Google Street View in the area, and everything you said seems to ring true.

Sigh...it's probably a stupid idea to apply for jobs at a place I've never been to.

Now I want to know your opinion on Columbus and Indianapolis!

Thanks for the advice....such a nice lady!
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but what happened to the potential job in Detroit? Royal Oak, Ferndale and other communities in the Woodward Corridor(Berkley, Birningham, Huntington Woods, Bloomfield Hills, etc.) would be great fit due to having a LGBT presence and some of the nicest suburbs in the area. They are also walkable too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,742 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Reputation: 63367
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Wow! I read your mind.....who would have thought that you just went to Pittsburgh a few weeks ago!

Anyway, the climate/weather doesn't bother me one bit. I can handle anything, because I'm from New England. I actually prefer that type of climate because of the variety it offers.

Your comments regarding the houses and roads are interesting. I have spent a lot of time looking at random spots on Google Street View in the area, and everything you said seems to ring true.

Sigh...it's probably a stupid idea to apply for jobs at a place I've never been to.

Now I want to know your opinion on Columbus and Indianapolis!

Thanks for the advice....such a nice lady!
LOL well thank you.

I've never been to Indianapolis, so I can't chime in on that one, but I've been to Columbus (I'm assuming you mean Ohio) several times, as well as some of the other major Ohio cities.

I am always favorably impressed when I visit Ohio, and it's cities. They usually strike me as feeling more clean and spacious than further north and east. I also think the people are generally friendly - a lot like the people of Pittsburgh. The COL seems to be within a reasonable range there too. However, my brother who lives in southern Ohio is very frustrated with the economy there. I don't know. All I can tell you is that he's seriously considering moving to Texas - he and his wife are coming to visit this fall with the intent of looking seriously at that option.

Thanks for the compliment. I can get snarky sometimes so I do appreciate that you don't hold a grudge. I like it when people don't take things personally on this forum - I certainly don't. I don't mind if someone has a different opinion and expresses it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top