U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 03:55 PM

1,400 posts, read 2,287,236 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39G5VzRg5G0

Odessa, Texas is the #2 metropolitan area in the United States for job and economic growth due to the expansion of the oil and gas industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 04:04 PM

44,931 posts, read 36,237,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Yep, lure us down there and then complain about us when we get there.

No thanks.
Here, kitty kitty kitty...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZOeWFBy75A

Old 08-27-2014, 05:45 PM

565 posts, read 822,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Yep, lure us down there and then complain about us when we get there.

No thanks.
Hah I was wondering; based on threads on this forum it seemed that Texans were pretty hostile towards northerners coming down.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
Hah I was wondering; based on threads on this forum it seemed that Texans were pretty hostile towards northerners coming down.
Don't be rude and you'll be just fine. We're a friendly bunch but we don't have to put up with snarkiness or a condescending attitude from anyone.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:02 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,056,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Don't be rude and you'll be just fine. We're a friendly bunch but we don't have to put up with snarkiness or a condescending attitude from anyone.
Well that leaves me out.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:11 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,726,844 times
It really says a lot when people from other states are welcomed to boost their own state but get offended if its someone from Texas boosting his or her state.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:19 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,921,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Good luck and I hope you move back to Texas! As you know, Texans are a very welcoming bunch of folks generally speaking, and this is truly a "land of opportunity."

For instance, my son in law is about to go to work with a major oil and gas company. He has no prior oil and gas experience but he does have his CDL, HazMat and some other skilled industrial certifications (three years of college but no completed degree). If he sticks with this company and enjoys the work, he should be able to be making over $100,000 a year within a couple of years and if he follows this career path into consulting (as many people do) he could be making over $300,000 a year (or the equivalent, adjusted for inflation) within 8-10 years. Couple that with a low cost of living, no state income tax, and a very friendly populace and it's a pretty great place to live!
Good luck to your son in law. Texas def is a very business friendly state with no state income tax. The economy in Texas is doing better than most states that are high tax states. I really loved Texas and Tennessee when I lived in both states. I have to go wherever I get the best job a combination of money, my work environment and how comfortable I feel with the job offer and the boss/staff. I def would love to move back to Texas. I wa proud to be a Texan the years I lived in San Antonio and would def move back if I got a job. I really love Austin as well. Take care and have a blessed day.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:28 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,135,139 times
I'd rather live in virtually any other state in the country than Texas. I just don't like the whole Texas "theme." All of the metro areas are way, way over populated, congested and the state is dominated by Republican leadership. It's also a majority minority state, which I personally don't like and don't have to like that.

In general, booming places are a turn off for me because of all the traffic and transplants it brings in. And the uniqueness of the culture erodes.

It's also not a really visually scenic state either. It's rather flat and barely has any trees, especially in the DFW area. The Houston area is extremely flat and becoming expensive. It's not worth moving there for COL reasons anymore.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:46 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,348,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Colorado's economy is booming, too, and if you can afford the higher COL I'd take here over a summer in Texas any day of the year.
I would definitely move to Colorado, if I wasn't so closely tied to my family in Ohio.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'd rather live in virtually any other state in the country than Texas. I just don't like the whole Texas "theme." All of the metro areas are way, way over populated, congested and the state is dominated by Republican leadership. It's also a majority minority state, which I personally don't like and don't have to like that.

In general, booming places are a turn off for me because of all the traffic and transplants it brings in. And the uniqueness of the culture erodes.

It's also not a really visually scenic state either. It's rather flat and barely has any trees, especially in the DFW area. The Houston area is extremely flat and becoming expensive. It's not worth moving there for COL reasons anymore.
To each his own. I think Texas is beautiful, and lest you think I just don't know what I'm missing, I've lived in nearly every southern state, as well as Ohio, the Mid Atlantic region, California, Japan, and Germany - as well as traveled extensively in both the US and Europe for business and pleasure.

I really like MANY places in the US and think that there is great natural beauty as well as fun, interesting, vibrant metro areas throughout the US - including in Texas. For instance, I LOVE Fort Worth - it's one of my favorite cities in the entire world. San Antonio and Austin are also tons of fun and offer a low cost of living compared to many other metro areas of the same size. And Houston, while not particularly beautiful, is a metro area with a lot to offer as well. But then - I like a lot of diversity and that's one of the most appealing things to me about Houston - and about Texas.

I have never minded living in a majority/minority state but then I'm a military brat, (ex) wife and mother so I'm very used to it. My immediate family looks more like a UN delegation than a "typical family" with white (plain ol' UK stock as well as Czech), African American, Latino and three members from Korea in two generations. Also, though I enjoy the amenities and energy that big metro areas offer, like you I don't much care for the traffic and congestion, so like many Texans I choose to live and raise my family in a smaller city but within an hour or so drive of a big metro area.

I relocated my family to Texas twenty five years ago and I've never regretted that decision for a minute - and they're appreciative as well. In fact, my parents are moving here in two weeks, and one of my adult kids is moving BACK with her husband (from the northeast) and their three kids, after living in Idaho, Virginia, and England. They are so excited they can hardly stand it and I am too.

It really doesn't bother me in the least that some people don't like Texas and wouldn't consider moving here. Hell, I wouldn't WANT "everyone" to decide to move here - so stay where you are with my sincere blessings. After all, if everyone moved here, that would sort of put a cramp in our vacation plans. We love where we live, but we also love to travel. (And then we love to come back home to our beautiful state of Texas, our spacious and comfortable home, and our pleasant town full of friendly people and every amenity we enjoy.)

Speaking of travel and moving, I've come to realize that I can be happy in any number of places. I can find something to appreciate and even love anywhere I live and visit. I feel truly sorry for anyone who doesn't have that mindset. I also feel sorry for people who feel the odd compulsion to put down other peoples' choices of where to live and work and raise their families. Not saying you're doing that, but I do find the animosity that some people express toward Texas sort of sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or