U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2014, 07:10 PM
 
12,571 posts, read 16,665,189 times
Reputation: 24299

Advertisements

Hmm. l I forgot what the topic of the thread was. Anyway, I live on the brown, flat and boring side of Texas. We have few trees, very little water and even less people and traffic. I love it! We do however have lots of oil and wind energy which seems to be bringing some folks this way.

I have not always lived in Texas although I was born on the green side.

I'm not looking for a job anymore so back to the topic of the thread. Good luck to anyone who decides to make Texas their home whether it be temporary or permanent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2014, 07:14 PM
 
Location: a bar
2,565 posts, read 5,053,328 times
Reputation: 2643
Is it just me, or do Texans sound a lot like Christian missionaries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,769 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Reputation: 63437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Is it just me, or do Texans sound a lot like Christian missionaries?
It's just you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 07:29 PM
 
Location: a bar
2,565 posts, read 5,053,328 times
Reputation: 2643
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's just you.
Accept Christ, be saved. Move to Texas, find a job.

...a lot of similarities there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 07:32 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,160,241 times
Reputation: 4349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Accept Christ, be saved. Move to Texas, find a job.
And both are absolutely true. Both take effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,769 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Reputation: 63437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Accept Christ, be saved. Move to Texas, find a job.

...a lot of similarities there.
Wow, that's a stretch but honestly, both scenarios boil down to your own personal choice so carry on as you see fit!

Personally, if I was looking for an environment with plentiful jobs and a low cost of living, I'd seriously consider all my options and then just make the choice that best fit my personal goals and interests. I think that's what most people do.

I certainly hope people aren't just packing up their SUV and driving here with no job lined up. But if they are, at least their chances of finding a job are better here than in some other areas. Still - I'd say find the job first - THEN move. Seems the most prudent method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,123,720 times
Reputation: 7075
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
To each his own. I think Texas is beautiful, and lest you think I just don't know what I'm missing, I've lived in nearly every southern state, as well as Ohio, the Mid Atlantic region, California, Japan, and Germany - as well as traveled extensively in both the US and Europe for business and pleasure.

I really like MANY places in the US and think that there is great natural beauty as well as fun, interesting, vibrant metro areas throughout the US - including in Texas. For instance, I LOVE Fort Worth - it's one of my favorite cities in the entire world. San Antonio and Austin are also tons of fun and offer a low cost of living compared to many other metro areas of the same size. And Houston, while not particularly beautiful, is a metro area with a lot to offer as well. But then - I like a lot of diversity and that's one of the most appealing things to me about Houston - and about Texas.

I have never minded living in a majority/minority state but then I'm a military brat, (ex) wife and mother so I'm very used to it. My immediate family looks more like a UN delegation than a "typical family" with white (plain ol' UK stock as well as Czech), African American, Latino and three members from Korea in two generations. Also, though I enjoy the amenities and energy that big metro areas offer, like you I don't much care for the traffic and congestion, so like many Texans I choose to live and raise my family in a smaller city but within an hour or so drive of a big metro area.

I relocated my family to Texas twenty five years ago and I've never regretted that decision for a minute - and they're appreciative as well. In fact, my parents are moving here in two weeks, and one of my adult kids is moving BACK with her husband (from the northeast) and their three kids, after living in Idaho, Virginia, and England. They are so excited they can hardly stand it and I am too.

It really doesn't bother me in the least that some people don't like Texas and wouldn't consider moving here. Hell, I wouldn't WANT "everyone" to decide to move here - so stay where you are with my sincere blessings. After all, if everyone moved here, that would sort of put a cramp in our vacation plans. We love where we live, but we also love to travel. (And then we love to come back home to our beautiful state of Texas, our spacious and comfortable home, and our pleasant town full of friendly people and every amenity we enjoy.)

Speaking of travel and moving, I've come to realize that I can be happy in any number of places. I can find something to appreciate and even love anywhere I live and visit. I feel truly sorry for anyone who doesn't have that mindset. I also feel sorry for people who feel the odd compulsion to put down other peoples' choices of where to live and work and raise their families. Not saying you're doing that, but I do find the animosity that some people express toward Texas sort of sad.
For me, happiness is 100% conditional upon where I live.

Look where I live now (Fairfield County, CT). I dislike it just as much as I dislike Texas. Horrible traffic, ultra high cost of living, too fast paced for me. You wouldn't like it here either, I'm sure.

But anyway, I am looking for a new job somewhere else as we speak, because I cannot be happy here, period. I'm 30 years old and 5+ years away from the idea of owning my first home here, because it's so expensive. And I don't even like this whole NYC area anyway, for the reasons stated above. So what am I supposed to do? Just stay here and "force" myself to like it? Really?

I mean, if someone believes that they would be happier living somewhere else, shouldn't they pursue it?

I think the whole idea of "you can be happy anywhere...it's what you make of it" is a big farce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,769 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Reputation: 63437
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
For me, happiness is 100% conditional upon where I live.

Look where I live now (Fairfield County, CT). I dislike it just as much as I dislike Texas. Horrible traffic, ultra high cost of living, too fast paced for me. You wouldn't like it here either, I'm sure.

But anyway, I am looking for a new job somewhere else as we speak, because I cannot be happy here, period. I'm 30 years old and 5+ years away from the idea of owning my first home here, because it's so expensive. And I don't even like this whole NYC area anyway, for the reasons stated above. So what am I supposed to do? Just stay here and "force" myself to like it? Really?

I mean, if someone believes that they would be happier living somewhere else, shouldn't they pursue it?

I think the whole idea of "you can be happy anywhere...it's what you make of it" is a big farce.
Sorry you disagree.

I've been rich, and I've been poor. I've lived in the projects, and I've lived in what many would consider a mansion. I've lived all over the US and in Asia and Europe. I've been very contented, except for when I was in a bad marriage, and in that case, my location wouldn't have made a BIT of difference in my level of happiness.

Sure I like some places and some situations better than others, and of course I'd find it challenging to be happy in PRISON or living in any situation where my life or health was endangered, but the size of my house, or whether I rent or own, or whether I buy my purse at Goodwill or at a Chanel boutique honestly doesn't make me happy or unhappy.

I guess being a military brat conditioned me to making a home and a good life for myself wherever I happened to land. It also played a big role in my being an extrovert - I don't think my core personality is actually as extroverted as I turned out to be. I figured I better jump in with both feet, make friends, join clubs, etc because if I didn't, I was going to spend two years here and two years there and never have much of a life or many rewarding friendships.

So yes - I do believe that "life is what you make it," but hey, that's just me. Not everyone is wired together the same way. But I'm glad I'm wired this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,123,720 times
Reputation: 7075
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sorry you disagree.

I've been rich, and I've been poor. I've lived in the projects, and I've lived in what many would consider a mansion. I've lived all over the US and in Asia and Europe. I've been very contented, except for when I was in a bad marriage, and in that case, my location wouldn't have made a BIT of difference in my level of happiness.

Sure I like some places and some situations better than others, and of course I'd find it challenging to be happy in PRISON or living in any situation where my life or health was endangered, but the size of my house, or whether I rent or own, or whether I buy my purse at Goodwill or at a Chanel boutique honestly doesn't make me happy or unhappy.

I guess being a military brat conditioned me to making a home and a good life for myself wherever I happened to land. It also played a big role in my being an extrovert - I don't think my core personality is actually as extroverted as I turned out to be. I figured I better jump in with both feet, make friends, join clubs, etc because if I didn't, I was going to spend two years here and two years there and never have much of a life or many rewarding friendships.

So yes - I do believe that "life is what you make it," but hey, that's just me. Not everyone is wired together the same way. But I'm glad I'm wired this way.
Really? So you would be happy living in the outer counties of NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,769 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Reputation: 63437
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Really? So you would be happy living in the outer counties of NYC?
Let me put it this way - there's no doubt in my mind that I could be just as happy there as I've been living any number of other unfamiliar places. I mean it. I think life is a pretty cool adventure.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't PREFER living elsewhere. I PREFER living in East Texas. But it's not what makes me happy or unhappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top