Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 09:30 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,859,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Okay like where though? Where is a metro area in Texas that's not too small, but doesn't feel like it's overcrowded by transplants and severe traffic congestion? ).
I cannot tell you how a city feels. Do cities have feelings and express them?

Quote:
I WOULD be okay with Austin, if it weren't for the explosive growth. But with 158 people moving there per day, it's just too much to handle, and the infrastructure isn't keeping up.).
You do not have to be OK with Austin. It is OK without you.

Quote:
It's also a "weird" place. ).
What is weird about Austin which is a town you know nothing about?

Quote:
I prefer normal places that don't have an overly dominant vibe (such as hipsters or tourists, for example).
You do or would prefer?

Not everyone is meant to be adventurous. There are those who stay where they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 09:40 AM

4,343 posts, read 3,557,495 times
Texas has an advantage because there's no state income tax. That's plenty of incentive for businesses to move here after having been taxed to death elsewhere.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:51 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
Texas has an advantage because there's no state income tax. That's plenty of incentive for businesses to move here after having been taxed to death elsewhere.
Yes, but Texas has to leech off the federal government to get funds for statewide programs and projects, which is embarrassing. States with state income taxes have their own tax base to rely on. But Texas must rely on other states to pay for their things. It's a Ponzi Scheme. The only reason why Texas is currently booming is because of talent and resources available. Same goes for places with heavy tax burdens that are booming as well, such as San Francisco, DC and Boston.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:02 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
What is weird about Austin which is a town you know nothing about?
I presume the previous poster was referring to Austin's "Keep Austin Weird" motto, wrought by the "Artistic" and "hipster" populations Austin is very much known for outside that area.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:40 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Okay like where though? Where is a metro area in Texas that's not too small, but doesn't feel like it's overcrowded by transplants and severe traffic congestion? I WOULD be okay with Austin, if it weren't for the explosive growth. But with 158 people moving there per day, it's just too much to handle, and the infrastructure isn't keeping up. It's also a "weird" place. I prefer normal places that don't have an overly dominant vibe (such as hipsters or tourists, for example).
Check out the Tyler or Longview metro areas in northeast Texas.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:50 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Arizona has a far less polarizing culture than Texas--way less socially conservative and religious. Prettier scenery and better weather, too.
Oh, so you're just trolling then. I see. How refreshing and original.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Yes, but Texas has to leech off the federal government to get funds for statewide programs and projects, which is embarrassing. States with state income taxes have their own tax base to rely on. But Texas must rely on other states to pay for their things. It's a Ponzi Scheme. The only reason why Texas is currently booming is because of talent and resources available. Same goes for places with heavy tax burdens that are booming as well, such as San Francisco, DC and Boston.
Interesting. So is it your position that states with state income taxes rely on their own tax base rather than federal dollars? If that's the case, what's Maine's excuse? What about Vermont? Connecticut? New Hampshire? Maryland? Pennsylvania? Michigan? I could go on, but you get my drift. All these states, and more, receive more federal tax dollars than they pay in.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Check out the Tyler or Longview metro areas in northeast Texas.
Those areas are extremely "backwoods" though. I don't want to live anywhere where people use the word "y'all."

Old 08-29-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Interesting. So is it your position that states with state income taxes rely on their own tax base rather than federal dollars? If that's the case, what's Maine's excuse? What about Vermont? Connecticut? New Hampshire? Maryland? Pennsylvania? Michigan? I could go on, but you get my drift. All these states, and more, receive more federal tax dollars than they pay in.
Wrong! Connecticut only receives 60% of the federal tax dollars it pays in. And we have a state income tax.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Those areas are extremely "backwoods" though. I don't want to live anywhere where people use the word "y'all."
OK. Youse guys just stay where you are then. I think everyone will be happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.