U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 01:47 PM

44,953 posts, read 36,237,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Wrong! Connecticut only receives 60% of the federal tax dollars it pays in. And we have a state income tax.
Really? Not according to this 2014 report.

Which States Take the Most From the U.S. Government? - Real Time Economics - WSJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 01:52 PM

6,566 posts, read 10,287,257 times
Quote:
Those areas are extremely "backwoods" though. I don't want to live anywhere where people use the word "y'all."
That's pretty much the entirety of Texas. The phrase is ubiquitous. You'll even find it in a place like Dallas where almost half the population emigrated from somewhere else.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:04 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,301,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Texas appears to continue to boom for the job market, for all of you Northeasterners looking for greener pastures.
Those pastures are too hot and humid for me lol! I lived in San Antonio for a couple years and that was enough Texas for my lifetime. For me, the culture was just too much.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:26 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,138,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Those pastures are too hot and humid for me lol! I lived in San Antonio for a couple years and that was enough Texas for my lifetime. For me, the culture was just too much.
And everyone makes fun of ME for thinking the culture of Texas was too much to handle. See...I'm not the only one....

Even that 8to32characters guy said the same thing.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
And everyone makes fun of ME for thinking the culture of Texas was too much to handle. See...I'm not the only one....

Well, there you have it. If several people on C-D say it's true, it must be true.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:38 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,754,769 times
Quote:

Yeah, but the difference is that what Denverian said actually makes sense and is a legitimate reason for not wanting to live there, and it wasn't put forth in a trollish and ignorant manner, the way so many of your posts come across. Or 8to32 for that matter.

Not wanting to live somewhere because of extreme weather or not being comfortable with the local culture is understandable, but not wanting to live somewhere because people say the word "y'all" is just silly and trivial.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Yeah, but the difference is that what Denverian said actually makes sense and is a legitimate reason for not wanting to live there, and it wasn't put forth in a trollish and ignorant manner, the way so many of your posts come across. Or 8to32 for that matter.

Not wanting to live somewhere because of extreme weather or not being comfortable with the local culture is understandable, but not wanting to live somewhere because people say the word "y'all" is just silly and trivial.
Yeah, because you are used to hearing that word all the time. I never hear it. Ever. So for me, it's a big deal. How would YOU like it if you had to move somewhere where everyone says "you guys" instead?

Old 08-29-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah, because you are used to hearing that word all the time. I never hear it. Ever. So for me, it's a big deal. How would YOU like it if you had to move somewhere where everyone says "you guys" instead?
So the heck what? As if that would keep me from moving somewhere! Do you not realize how ridiculous this sounds?

Old 08-29-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So the heck what? As if that would keep me from moving somewhere! Do you not realize how ridiculous this sounds?
The only place in the South that I could see myself living in is maybe New Orleans, Florida or the upper South such as VA, MD and DE.

What about Oklahoma City? It's a perfect metro size for me and not overly crowded. Is it like Texas though?

Old 08-29-2014, 03:38 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,754,769 times
Quote:
Oh please. Not that I even care about such trivial matters, but I have lived in your neck of the woods (New Haven), as well as Massachussets. I have lived all over the country, and have heard all the different variations in regional dialects on how people generally address others plurally, and the bottom line is.... I... don't... give... a $hit.

I don't know how else to spell it out for you. It's just trivial and insignificant. I'm more concerned with the more important factors when choosing a place to move, like weather, economy, cost of living, local culture, local politics, and natural scenery. Regional dialects rank near the bottom of my priorities. However, if you're that hung up on it, then by all means stay put in New England.

Oh, and guess what? They say "y'all" in New Orleans, so you might want to scratch that one off your list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or