Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 10:32 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I loved Texas!!!!! I lived in San Antonio back in the 90s because my dad was an Army doctor based in SA. I love Texans they make so much pride in their state, their country and the military. Texan women are gorgeous.. I always had good experiences with Texans people in general but I was always taught to be polite and respectful of everything coming from a military background. I would love to move back to Texas again. States/places I am looking to move to after graduate school are Nashville, TN, Austin, TX, Denver, CO, Phoenix, AZ and Las Vegas, NV hopefully I can get a high paying job in that city. Have a blessed day.
Good luck and I hope you move back to Texas! As you know, Texans are a very welcoming bunch of folks generally speaking, and this is truly a "land of opportunity."

For instance, my son in law is about to go to work with a major oil and gas company. He has no prior oil and gas experience but he does have his CDL, HazMat and some other skilled industrial certifications (three years of college but no completed degree). If he sticks with this company and enjoys the work, he should be able to be making over $100,000 a year within a couple of years and if he follows this career path into consulting (as many people do) he could be making over $300,000 a year (or the equivalent, adjusted for inflation) within 8-10 years. Couple that with a low cost of living, no state income tax, and a very friendly populace and it's a pretty great place to live!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 10:59 AM

26,826 posts, read 43,300,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Texas appears to continue to boom for the job market, for all of you Northeasterners looking for greener pastures.
Or North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Utah, Minnesota, Iowa, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and Oklahoma. Hard to believe for some I'm sure, but the good fortunes of this country don't revolve around Texas. Of course it's pertinent fact that not all areas of the country are suitable for immediate employment and much of it is determined by skill set and experience. Of course one can drop into a low paying-no benefits job in Texas right away, but is that an improvement for most? Probably not.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 08-27-2014, 11:09 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,594,168 times
Its anecdotal, but good friends of ours just moved here from LA with no jobs lined up. They both got higher paying jobs with full benefits within two weeks.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Or North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Utah, Minnesota, Iowa, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and Oklahoma. Hard to believe for some I'm sure, but the good fortunes of this country don't revolve around Texas. Of course it's pertinent fact that not all areas of the country are suitable for immediate employment and much of it is determined by skill set and experience. Of course one can drop into a low paying-no benefits job in Texas right away, but is that an improvement for most? Probably not.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas
Sure, a hard working person with a good skill set can be successful in any number of regions and states and cities across our nation - and I think that's great. The economic success of Texas, and Texas residents and businesses, doesn't do anything to "take away from" the success of other areas, and the success of other areas doesn't do anything to "take away from" the success of Texas and Texans.

It's quite possible to really admire and appreciate Texas without denigrating other areas, just as it's possible to be successful elsewhere without putting down Texas. SUCCESS FOR EVERYONE! PASS THE SUCCESS! YAY, US! U.S.A, U.S.A.!

That being said, Texas DOES offer a lot of opportunity for people seeking economic success and comfort, and those interested in building a strong career. Texas jobs aren't limited to "low paying, no benefits" jobs - not by a long shot.

My son in law is about to start his career in oil and gas - and should make well over $70,000 the first year and upward each year from there - and he doesn't even have a bachelor's degree. Within 8-10 years it is a reasonable plan for him to move into consulting, where he could make $800-$1500 a day. A DAY. Not shabby for someone under age 40, I'd say.

And he won't pay state income tax on that money either.

Could he succeed elsewhere? Of course he could - he's a smart guy and a hard worker. But Texas is a great place for him to build a life and a career. I'm glad he chose Texas.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Its anecdotal, but good friends of ours just moved here from LA with no jobs lined up. They both got higher paying jobs with full benefits within two weeks.
Very believable.

My son in law got his CDL and HazMat certification and got offered two great jobs, both making over $60,000 a year, with full benefits for himself and his family, within two weeks of passing the test.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:16 AM

26,826 posts, read 43,300,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sure, a hard working person with a good skill set can be successful in any number of regions and states and cities across our nation - and I think that's great. The economic success of Texas, and Texas residents and businesses, doesn't do anything to "take away from" the success of other areas, and the success of other areas doesn't do anything to "take away from" the success of Texas and Texans.
Given the trumpeting from so many from the Governor on down, it would seem like a noble attempt anyway.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:27 AM

Yawn. Haters gonna hate.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:56 AM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Did the OP say East Texas? No. TEXAS is brown, even if East Texas isn't brown. It's still not necessarily greener than places in the lush Northeast.
East Texas most certainly is as green as the lush Northeast.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:23 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,076,838 times
Yep, lure us down there and then complain about us when we get there.

No thanks.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:38 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,736,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Did the OP say East Texas? No. TEXAS is brown, even if East Texas isn't brown. It's still not necessarily greener than places in the lush Northeast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
East Texas most certainly is as green as the lush Northeast.
Exactly

http://goo.gl/maps/wH0hF
http://goo.gl/maps/0TGlk
http://goo.gl/maps/IHBY5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.