Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 11:55 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,160,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I can, but I don't see it being sung by the old money elitists Mass residents would want us to picture populating the state. Rather I hear the moaning of incoherent drunk redsox fans.
Do they really? The second came more quickly to my mind. They're parochial up here, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 12:00 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,951,941 times
Least prestigious: Detroit.

Within city limits, that is, not the ring of affluent suburbs that surround it.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:05 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Can't get more southern than "bless his heart". Especially when you're being critical of him at the same time.

Neil Young actually got along well with Lynyrd Skynyrd. He played "Sweet Home Alabama" live after the band member's death in a plane crash. Neil Young's commented on his song deacades later:

I don't like my words when I listen to it. They are accusatory and condescending, not fully thought out, and too easy to misconstrue

Sweet Home Alabama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hey, I like Neil Young. His "Harvest" album is one of my all time favorites, bless his heart. I own it, and I don't even skip through the anti Southern songs. I think his perspective is interesting and valid, even though it's not MY perspective.

A Southerner understands that "bless his heart" can be meant in a positive way as well.

And thanks for expounding on Young's relationship with Lynard Skynard. As a lifelong Young AND LS fan, I already knew the story, but maybe others didn't and will find it enlightening.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:05 PM

12,000 posts, read 12,848,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post

So affluence always means prestigious?

Old 08-27-2014, 12:27 PM

31,887 posts, read 34,388,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
So affluence always means prestigious?
Pretty much...unless the wealth was ill gotten. Even then, it could still mean prestige.

Quote:
noun
1.reputation or influence arising from success, achievement, rank, or other favorable attributes.

2.distinction or reputation attaching to a person or thing and thus possessing a cachet for others or for the public:

Old 08-27-2014, 12:35 PM

5,248 posts, read 5,960,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post

So Detroit is the least prestigious region? Once you hit 8mile and are in Oakland County, you're no longer in the least prestigious Region?

So then the regions are:

Northeast
South
Midwest
West
Detroit
Detroits rich ass suburbs

Just wanna be clear

Old 08-27-2014, 12:44 PM

31,887 posts, read 34,388,425 times
By region...

Northeast:
Nantucket
Martha's Vineyard
Cape Cod
Yale, Princeton, etc.
Andover, Choate Rosemary Hall
Puritan/Yankee heritage
Abolitionism
New York City
Billionaires
The Met, MoMa, etc.
Microbreweries

West:
San Fran, Sausalito, Marin, Napa
Beverly Hills
Stanford, UCLA, Berkeley
College Prepatory, Harvard-Westlake
Silicon Valley
Billionaires
Hollywood
Vail, Aspen
Portland!
Getty, DeYoung, etc.
Microbreweries

Midwest:
Chicago
UChicago, UMich, Northwestern, DePaul, Grinnell, etc.
"Free" states
Germans
"Values"

Old 08-27-2014, 12:53 PM

734 posts, read 914,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't consider any region of the US more or less "prestigious." I DO consider some areas and some cities more or less PRETENTIOUS however.
Nailed it.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:00 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
Quote:
noun
1.reputation or influence arising from success, achievement, rank, or other favorable attributes.

2.distinction or reputation attaching to a person or thing and thus possessing a cachet for others or for the public:

Great! This means that lots of booming southern (including but not limited to Texas) metro areas are "prestigious!" I'm SO glad to find out that I live in a very prestigious state - and a very prestigious city within that state! Life is grand! I may even put on some makeup today when I go run errands later. Gotta keep up this prestigious image, right?

Old 08-27-2014, 01:07 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,139,842 times
The Ivy League is in the northeast...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.