U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Southernmost northeastern state
New Jersey 29 23.58%
Pennsylvania 14 11.38%
Delaware 7 5.69%
Maryland 45 36.59%
West Virginia 11 8.94%
Virginia 17 13.82%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-09-2014, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,250 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Reputation: 11706

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
It actually seems more common for the "Maryland/DC is Northeastern because it's affluent, fast-paced and part of BosWash" crowd to erroneously deem Buffalo and Western New York "midwestern" because it's working class, rust belt, slower paced, likes bowling and chicken wings etc.
Wouldn't calling Maryland northeastern be like calling Buffalo Midwestern? Western NY and Western PA are probably more similar to the Midwest in many ways than they are to the the coastal cities. Pittsburgh, in particular, probably shares more commonalities with Cleveland than it does with Philadelphia. Yet we still consider Pittsburgh a "northeastern" city because it's, well, in the Northeast. It's always been northeastern. Can't really dispute that. And no matter how much of a Midwestern "feel" it develops, it's going to be in the Northeast no matter what. You just can't discard history and re-draw regional lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-09-2014, 06:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Reputation: 14804
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
It actually seems more common for the "Maryland/DC is Northeastern because it's affluent, fast-paced and part of BosWash" crowd to erroneously deem Buffalo and Western New York "midwestern" because it's working class, rust belt, slower paced, likes bowling and chicken wings etc.
Buffalo has many similarities with the Midwest, including accent, city layout, etc. It's definitely a transition area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2014, 06:18 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,739 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Reputation: 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You don't see any Philly posters on here fighting with their hearts and souls, on their knees begging, pleading and groveling, to be included in the Northeast. Why would they have to? Nobody ever questions whether it's a Northeastern city or not.

But, for sake of argument, let's say it's not. In fact, let's lump Philadelphia into the South along with Birmingham, Nashville, Richmond and New Orleans. What does that change? It doesn't change its history. It doesn't change its culture. It won't change the fact that soft pretzels, water ice, cheesesteaks and pizza are our most popular staples. We have a culture and history we're proud of and embrace no matter what regional label anyone tries to place on us.
None of that has anything to do with the NYC nuthugging from some of the Philly posters on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2014, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,250 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Reputation: 11706
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Buffalo has many similarities with the Midwest, including accent, city layout, etc. It's definitely a transition area.
Since it's a transition area, we can start calling it the Midwest now? Or should we say it's neither Northeastern nor Midwestern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2014, 06:21 PM
 
2,253 posts, read 2,749,478 times
Reputation: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Buffalo has many similarities with the Midwest, including accent, city layout, etc. It's definitely a transition area.
What about Rochester?

Last edited by King of Kensington; 09-09-2014 at 07:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2014, 07:20 PM
 
2,253 posts, read 2,749,478 times
Reputation: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Wouldn't calling Maryland northeastern be like calling Buffalo Midwestern? Western NY and Western PA are probably more similar to the Midwest in many ways than they are to the the coastal cities. Pittsburgh, in particular, probably shares more commonalities with Cleveland than it does with Philadelphia. Yet we still consider Pittsburgh a "northeastern" city because it's, well, in the Northeast. It's always been northeastern. Can't really dispute that. And no matter how much of a Midwestern "feel" it develops, it's going to be in the Northeast no matter what. You just can't discard history and re-draw regional lines.
I think that's exactly it. Also, Pittsburgh and Buffalo took off as cites before Cleveland and Chicago etc. so it's a little strange to hear the argument that they're "influenced by the Midwest" - wouldn't it be apt to say that that the Great Lakes part of the Midwest is an extension of earlier development in Upstate NY from Erie Canal times? I haven't been to Pittsburgh, but from what I've seen it still has that common "Pennsylvania look" and doesn't really resemble Cleveland region. It seems like an interesting crossroads of Northeastern and Appalachian culture.

Also, I'm pretty sure the influence of NYC looms much larger in Buffalo than Chicago does. The largest SUNY campus is in Buffalo and surely at least some downstaters stay in the area after college. I don't know the answer to this one, but I would guess more go to NYC than Chicago if they decide to move to the "big city." I know there are large numbers of young people go from Indiana, Iowa etc. that go to Chicago - but are there Western New Yorkers doing that as well?

Last edited by King of Kensington; 09-09-2014 at 08:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2014, 07:22 PM
 
Location: PG County, MD
582 posts, read 776,189 times
Reputation: 353
How these discussions should go:
Spoiler
A: "Parts of MD are similar to PA and NJ. I think that it's a northern state."
B: "Parts of MD are very similar to VA and NC. I think it's a southern state."
(Supporting ideas discussed)
B: "I suppose MD has both southern and northern cultural regions. These cultures mix in most of the state and overall it is somewhat of a border state/transition area."
B: "That makes sense" or "I still think MD is more northern but I can see your position."

How these discussions actually go:
Spoiler
A: "Parts of MD are similar to PA and NJ. I think that it's a northern state."
B: "Parts of MD are very similar to VA and NC. I think it's a southern state."
A: "You're wrong. No part of MD is at all like VA. There's no southern culture at all in MD! If there is it's only an influence! I visited Mississippi and MD's nothing like that. You're a fool!"
B: "No you're wrong! Even MD's "northern" cultures are really southern. Just because transplants come there doesn't change a thing. I got called a Yankee once when I was in Edgewater! You're a fool!"
(Bickering)


(Not pointing any fingers... when I joined C-D I acted a bit like B in the second example).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2014, 07:25 PM
 
2,253 posts, read 2,749,478 times
Reputation: 926
Buffalo mayor Byron Brown, the city's first Black mayor, was born in NYC.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DpL45wOnLU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2014, 07:44 PM
 
12,636 posts, read 10,487,316 times
Reputation: 17432
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
Dude, have you ever even been to MD?
Yes. I was both asking and guessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2014, 08:39 PM
 
Location: PG County, MD
582 posts, read 776,189 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yes. I was both asking and guessing.
Well to answer seriously, the northeast of MD has a similar accent to Philly, south Jersey, and upper DE. The rest doesn't really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top