U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Southernmost northeastern state
New Jersey 29 23.58%
Pennsylvania 14 11.38%
Delaware 7 5.69%
Maryland 45 36.59%
West Virginia 11 8.94%
Virginia 17 13.82%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 02:41 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,753,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What about Robert F. Chew (Prop Joe) and Felicia Pearson (Snoop) from the Wire? They were two of the native Baltimoreans on the show.
John Waters presents Baltimore as Southern, but The Wire presents it in a more "northeastern" way (i.e. Irish cops, Polish dockworkers, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 02:51 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,252,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
John Waters presents Baltimore as Southern, but The Wire presents it in a more "northeastern" way (i.e. Irish cops, Polish dockworkers, etc.)
The hardest character on the show imo, Marlo (played by Jamie Hector), is from Brooklyn. Julito McCullum, who played Namond Brice, is also from Brooklyn. Hassan Johnson, who played "Wee Bey," is from Staten Island. J.D. Williams, who played Bodie, is from Newark. Michael B. Jordan ("Wallace") is also from Newark. Al Brown, who played Commissioner Valchek, is an actor from Philadelphia. Wood Harris, who played Avon Barksdale, is from Chicago. Maestro Harrell ("Randy") is also from Chicago. Gbenga Akinnagbe, who played Chris Partlow, is the child of Nigerian immigrants and was raised in Silver Spring, MD. Tristan Wilds ("Michael") is from Staten Island. Jermaine Crawford ("Dukie") is from Mitchellville, MD, an affluent, largely AA suburb of Washington, DC. Jim Frost ("Mr. Prezbo") is from Greenwich, CT. Aidan Gillen ("Tommy Carcetti") is from Dublin, Ireland. Brandy Burre ("Theresa D'Agostino") is from Sandusky, OH. Chris Bauer ("Frank Sobotka") is from Los Angeles. Paolo Schreider ("Nick Sobotka") is from Canada.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 09-10-2014 at 03:11 PM..

Old 09-10-2014, 03:08 PM

7,746 posts, read 6,149,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
That's Baltimore for you. Irish police, Polish dock workers, Greeks, White kids hanging out on the corners....That's southeast Baltimore for you.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
The hardest character on the show imo, Marlo (played by Jamie Hector), is from Brooklyn. Julito McCullum, who played Namond Brice, is also from Brooklyn. Hassan Johnson, who played "Wee Bey," is from Staten Island. J.D. Williams, who played Bodie, is from Newark. Al Brown, who played Commissioner Valchek, is an actor from Philadelphia. Wood Harris, who played Avon Barksdale, is from Chicago. Maestro Harrell ("Randy") is also from Chicago. Gbenga Akinnagbe, who played Chris Partlow, is the child of Nigerian immigrants and was raised in Silver Spring, MD. Tristan Wilds ("Michael") is from Staten Island. Jermaine Crawford ("Dukie") is from Mitchellville, MD, an affluent, largely AA suburb of Washington, DC. Jim Frost ("Mr. Prezbo") is from Greenwich, CT. Aidan Gillen ("Tommy Carcetti") is from Dublin, Ireland. Brandy Burre ("Theresa D'Agostino") is from Sandusky, OH. Chris Bauer ("Frank Sobotka") is from Los Angeles. Paolo Schreider ("Nick Sobotka") is from Canada.
Slim Charles is from DC
Omar is from Brooklyn

Old 09-10-2014, 03:23 PM

All real Philadelphians. No actors.

**** Real In Philly: Billy Benjamin explains why he ran from cops - YouTube

Old 09-10-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
True. I've never really heard an accent as strong as Snoop's. She's a rare case and I couldn't categorize as northern or southern, just Baltimore.
You really think she's that rare?

Quote:
Mr. Williams loved what he saw. “If you meet her and you talk to her, she is unmistakably Baltimore.” he said. “And the city of Baltimore is the lead star of ‘The Wire.’ ”

There’s nothing more Baltimore than Snoop’s accent, which at times is so hard to decipher that a fan on the Internet Movie Database said she watched her scenes with closed captioning so she could read her words. “It’s basically a Baltimore thing,” Ms. Pearson said. “I say everything that’s in the script, but I put a little twist on it, like the way we would say it in Baltimore.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/21/ar...wire.html?_r=0

She even discusses her accent in her autobiography, "Grace After Midnight."

Quote:
"How bout my look?" I asked.
"We like your look," they said.
"How bout the way I talk. I talk with this heavy Baltimore accent."
"We like the way you talk."
Grace After Midnight: A Memoir - Felicia Pearson - Google Books

Here are a couple of comments from the Baltimore Sun on the Wire.

Quote:
Snoop Pearson is a glaring example of what I consider to be "black" bawlmerese, and as someone mentioned above, the actress portraying Marcia Donnelly was a total Hon.
Quote:
This is surprising since I hardly heard any Baltimore accents during a recent viewing of the first season of "The Wire" on DVD. Mainly New York patois. It was hard to take this show seriously with such a glaring defect.
Quote:
I also didn't notice any true Bawlimer accents when I watched The Wire, and found that to be a little disheartening.
Jay Hancock's blog: Baltimore on The Wire, translated for the Brits - Business news: Stock markets, banks and economic observations with columnist Jay Hancock - baltimoresun.com

Old 09-10-2014, 03:46 PM

Snoop on Larry King Live - YouTube

Old 09-10-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I'll take back what I said. She could be the norm where she's from. I haven't spent hardly any time in the neighborhood she grew up in. Take Melo for example, his accent isn't as strong. I have 2 brothers that grew up in a project in Melo's neighborhood and their accent isn't as strong as snoops. Mugsy Bogues grew up in a project in Melo's neighborhood as well and his accent isn't as heavy. Her and Prop Joe would probably be the heaviest you'd find. Hell, I'm from Baltimore and I couldn't understand some of her lines in The Wire..lol

Old 09-10-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I'll take back what I said. She could be the norm where she's from. I haven't spent hardly any time in the neighborhood she grew up in. Take Melo for example, his accent isn't as strong. I have 2 brothers that grew up in a project in Melo's neighborhood and their accent isn't as strong as snoops.
Didn't Carmelo Anthony spend his early childhood years in Brooklyn? He's also Puerto Rican, which is not typical Baltimore.

Obviously, not everyone in Baltimore will talk like Prop Joe or Snoop. But I don't think their speech is rare either.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:27 PM

And honestly, the Wire didn't too Baltimore too many favors. Omar sounded totally ridiculous ("You besta be where you be, otherwise you be steppin tew, and I gotsa a little bird on my shoulda sayin the sun don't be shine"). He sounded like a WPA slave narrative. They made it seem like all of the Black people spoke in some type of slave code to disguise their true intentions from "Massa."

Slim Charles has a very strong DC accent.

Idris Elba didn't even attempt a Baltimore accent, which was probably wise on his part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or