U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Southernmost northeastern state
New Jersey 29 23.58%
Pennsylvania 14 11.38%
Delaware 7 5.69%
Maryland 45 36.59%
West Virginia 11 8.94%
Virginia 17 13.82%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 02:22 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,850,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What does Dirty Mackin' sound like to you? His accent is what you would typically hear in any DC barbershop or on your average street corner. His look is 155% unmistakably DC.

Dirty Mackin DC's Hottest Rapper - YouTube
100% Southern. Not a hint of the Northeast in that voice. None.

Northeastern sounding rappers:

Jay-Z (unmistakably)
Jadakiss
Styles P
Nas
Sheek Louch
Beastie Boys (Ad Rock, MCA RIP, Mike D)
Beanie Sigel (though his accent IS transitional in my opinion)
Freeway (see above but I feel he sounds more NE than Beanie)
Cam'ron
JR Writer
40 Cal
J Hood (he and 40 Cal have the same voice almost)
Dame Dash (not a rapper but his accent is very Northeastern)

Here is one of my favorite Styles P skits, "Ass Bag" from Gangsta and a Gentleman.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...75775273,d.aWw

Listen to the accents and hear the distinct Northeastern pronunciation. Not Rhotic, "th" sounds like "d", the pronunciation of "all" sounds like "awl". Now tell me that that sounds like the way Marylanders talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 02:29 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,850,263 times
White guy with a Murlind accent:

Best Maryland Accent Ever In Montana Political Ad - The Daily Beast

No hint of the Northeast in that accent. It sounds like a muddled accent from the Scotland/England border. Wait...isn't that Southern accents actually are? Yes the f-ck they are.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:31 AM

31 posts, read 29,495 times
I am Carolina born/raised and have lived in MA (6+ yrs), upstate NY (3 yrs), LA (3 yrs) and now MD (19 yrs) in addition to NC/SC.

Nobody in the south considers MD anything but the northeast. Definitely not southern. Nobody I have met in MD considers themselves southern, except for some kooks. And no havent been living in the DC suburbs of Rockville but in Edgewood/Towson. MD is a classic "Yankee" state and there isnt anything southern in its culture. They speak northern, vote northern, act northern, dress northern, so how can it be southern? The same goes for Delaware. I guess Philadelphia is southern too then? I have even heard people from up north say half of NJ is southern. These people obviously have no idea what southern is but can you blame them? Northerners have such a disdain towards the south that they never visit us except for maybe NOVA so maybe that is why some of them think places like Vineland, NJ are southern.

If you want to see the difference between Yankee and Southron culture and lifestyle drive from any town in MD down to Danville or Blacksburg VA. MD up to Maine could be a whole different country and it more or less is culturally speaking. MD and upstate NY are mostly the same thing in culture, not even close to the Carolinas or Louisiana.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:34 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,489,906 times
^ Maryland might be northeast now, but clearly it was not considered that way at the beginning. The only way it became northeastern is through the force of the central government in Washington, DC. Some people don't understand that most people native to that area identify more with the south than the north indirectly, even if they deny it. The only thing is that they don't consider themselves country because it has a big urban area. People in Virginia identify more with the Northeast than some people in Maryland and DC, even tho VA is still considered the south for the most part. I never heard of people from DC or Maryland considering themselves yankees.

Last edited by 11KAP; 09-22-2014 at 10:51 AM..

Old 09-22-2014, 11:12 AM

31 posts, read 29,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ Maryland might be northeast now, but clearly it was not considered that way at the beginning. The only way it became northeastern is through the force of the central government in Washington, DC. Some people don't understand that most people native to that area identify more with the south than the north indirectly, even if they deny it. The only thing is that they don't consider themselves country because it has a big urban area. People in Virginia identify more with the Northeast than some people in Maryland and DC, even tho VA is still considered the south for the most part. I never heard of people from DC or Maryland considering themselves yankees.
I live here. Marylanders are Yankees. Of course they dont say "Im a Yankee" nobody says that, even when I lived in MA. As a born in raised southerner who has lived in NC, SC, LA and MD, MA, and NY, there isnt anything Southern about MD. Northerners love to say "The eastern shore of MD/DE is southern though!". No, it isn't. At absolute most there are some corner towns of 800 people in southern Maryland that are in between north and south. 95% of MD is northern, about the same as PA or NJ. Like I said, the culture in MD is mostly the same thing as in upstate NY with the biggest difference being no Bay or ocean in upstate NY. Is upstate NY southern? NO. There may be some MDers who listen to country music and really want badly to be southern, but THAT DOES NOT MAKE THEM SOUTHERN!

- I cant find my grits anywhere here

- I am the only white guy who loves Fried Chicken and the blacks dont know how to make real southern fried chicken only the northern imitation

- no whites know what a real biscuit is

- when I ask for gravy they have no clue what I am talking about!

- Sweet tea? In the words of many Marylanders, fuhggetabout it!

- Nobody cares about church. Church is a tradition in the south. Put on your sunday dress, go out for lunch. Meet the neighbors and congregation and make a day out of it. MDers dont care about church, tons of them are atheists and agnostic.

- Country ham. Marylanders still dont know what this is.

- Line dancing? Foreign to MD.

- Boiled Peanuts, they have no idea what I am talking about.

- Fried green tomatoes? No idea what I am talking about.

- Ultra liberal. No place exists like this in the south. I am talking about even "conservative" MD towns are liberal by southern standards. Md is easily top 5 most liberal states in the USA.

There are even more Confederate flags in PA than in MD. No one has a southern accent - that video Eddieskool posted sounds in between a New Yorker and a Virginian...and that is the most incredibly extreme accent from a MArylander I have ever heard. Most Marylanders sound exactly like people in Philadelphia. They say "I'm goin to the woooder" and "Natty Bow hon! and OHHHshun for Ocean. Zero MDers have a drawl. How many Jimmy Dean or Earls do you know in MD? Zero, its not southern. MD is just like New Jersey, NY, etc. I dont care how many wannabes there are.

MD is a classic Yankee state!

Old 09-22-2014, 11:38 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,504,684 times
There's no denying that it is heavily impacted by northern influence. But I'm sorry, based on history the state is still "part of the south". You may not feel that you are a southerner being a native born Marylander and you certainly don't associate with the south in the same way say Alabama does but again having heavy influence from a separate region doesn't make you part of the region you associate with.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:47 AM

342 posts, read 395,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
There's no denying that it is heavily impacted by northern influence. But I'm sorry, based on history the state is still "part of the south". You may not feel that you are a southerner being a native born Marylander and you certainly don't associate with the south in the same way say Alabama does but again having heavy influence from a separate region doesn't make you part of the region you associate with.
Reread. In his post he says he is born in the south (post history says from one of the Carolinas), not Mayland. I agree with him, MD is a very northern state. Ive never seen or heard of a Marylander looking for grits or gravy. I had to look those up. In the "MD northern or southern?" poll people 2-1 felt MD is northern, and that would include those who think it is just mid-Atlantic or neither. Most people consider MD northern without thinking twice.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:28 PM

9 posts, read 10,851 times
Maryland to Maine.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:33 PM

3,584 posts, read 2,504,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
Reread. In his post he says he is born in the south (post history says from one of the Carolinas), not Mayland. I agree with him, MD is a very northern state. Ive never seen or heard of a Marylander looking for grits or gravy. I had to look those up. In the "MD northern or southern?" poll people 2-1 felt MD is northern, and that would include those who think it is just mid-Atlantic or neither. Most people consider MD northern without thinking twice.
I misread that bit, but it really doesn't matter. People can "feel" northern all they want. Maryland simply isn't a northern state... it may be considered so culturally but it wasn't and isn't a northern state.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:34 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,489,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeinScotts View Post
I live here. MD is a classic Yankee state!
ok, according to you it is, because you're from farther south. Maryland is not a southeastern state anymore, even tho it used to be a long time ago before the civil war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or