U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Southernmost northeastern state
New Jersey 29 23.58%
Pennsylvania 14 11.38%
Delaware 7 5.69%
Maryland 45 36.59%
West Virginia 11 8.94%
Virginia 17 13.82%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-28-2014, 02:54 PM
 
3,964 posts, read 3,499,632 times
Reputation: 6377

Advertisements

Maryland was part of the south in the 1860's, last I checked we didn't default to the 1860s for Geography.

As I have stated before, if we are going to go by 1860's geography then we need to start referring to Michigan as the west, and everything past St. Louis as our manifest desnity full of savages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-28-2014, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,506,042 times
Reputation: 2927
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Maryland was part of the south in the 1860's, last I checked we didn't default to the 1860s for Geography.

As I have stated before, if we are going to go by 1860's geography then we need to start referring to Michigan as the west, and everything past St. Louis as our manifest desnity full of savages.
Article from 2010 - Maryland trying to secede from the south

Maryland Trying To Secede From The South

Maryland's "southern" status hasn't changed. They are politically and culturally more in-line with the north, but in the end are still a southern state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 03:15 PM
 
781 posts, read 1,095,810 times
Reputation: 609
So what happens when VA,NC, FL ect... start following these trends a little more there will be no south in the near future, Midatlantic is the best description but not Northeast for MD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,506,042 times
Reputation: 2927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
So what happens when VA,NC, FL ect... start following these trends a little more there will be no south in the near future, Midatlantic is the best description but not Northeast for MD
I'd be happy with Mid-Atlantic as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Ohio, USA
1,085 posts, read 1,348,473 times
Reputation: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
So what happens when VA,NC, FL ect... start following these trends a little more there will be no south in the near future, Midatlantic is the best description but not Northeast for MD
I personally call Maryland, Delaware, West Virginia, and Missouri "Semi-Southern".

Also, there will always be "The South" as long as Mississippi is a state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 03:52 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,853,507 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Maryland was part of the south in the 1860's, last I checked we didn't default to the 1860s for Geography.

As I have stated before, if we are going to go by 1860's geography then we need to start referring to Michigan as the west, and everything past St. Louis as our manifest desnity full of savages.
The problem with this argument is that we knew what was South of Maryland, whereas we didn't know California was West.

So...Maryland is the South. The fact that transplants want to believe they're not in the South because they don't go to Chruch or because they vote Democrat and consider themselves "educated" no more makes Maryland the Northeast than Charlotte, NC a Northern city because it shares the same traits.

Maryland is Northeastern? I don't know of a Northeasterner that calls it "Merland".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 03:55 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,853,507 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
So what happens when VA,NC, FL ect... start following these trends a little more there will be no south in the near future, Midatlantic is the best description but not Northeast for MD
I know many people that think VA is already the "East Coast"! Seriously, people, stop making up your own definitions and just accept what is. The "best" argument for Maryland being "not the South" is its culture. Are you aware that not all Southern states have the same culture? The question is REGIONAL, not cultural. There is no such thing as a uniform Southern culture, despite the fact you want to believe it's all pickup trucks, country music, college football, big hair, grits (which can easily be found in Merland), and fatty foods.

If we were to go with what's "southern culture", you would find some places of South Dakota making the list!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 04:06 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,748 posts, read 6,156,857 times
Reputation: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
The problem with this argument is that we knew what was South of Maryland, whereas we didn't know California was West.

So...Maryland is the South. The fact that transplants want to believe they're not in the South because they don't go to Chruch or because they vote Democrat and consider themselves "educated" no more makes Maryland the Northeast than Charlotte, NC a Northern city because it shares the same traits.

Maryland is Northeastern? I don't know of a Northeasterner that calls it "Merland".
Go to a black neighborhood in Philly if you'd like to hear it in the northeast. If you want Waffle Houses, and pick-up trucks with confederate flags, go to south central PA. As for the OP's question of geography, Virginia is the southern most northeastern state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,506,042 times
Reputation: 2927
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Go to a black neighborhood in Philly if you'd like to hear it in the northeast. If you want Waffle Houses, and pick-up trucks with confederate flags, go to south central PA. As for the OP's question of geography, Virginia is the southern most northeastern state.
Virginia now? Oh brother, now we're just getting radical. At least we can have a conversation about the border states... but Virginia? Hey why don't we just expand to WV and NC. Maybe in 100 years we'll expand to SC and GA.

Right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 04:24 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,748 posts, read 6,156,857 times
Reputation: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Virginia now? Oh brother, now we're just getting radical. At least we can have a conversation about the border states... but Virginia? Hey why don't we just expand to WV and NC. Maybe in 100 years we'll expand to SC and GA.

Right!
The OP said geographically, not culturally, history, demographically, or politically.... Geographically.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 08-28-2014 at 04:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top