U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Southernmost northeastern state
New Jersey 29 23.58%
Pennsylvania 14 11.38%
Delaware 7 5.69%
Maryland 45 36.59%
West Virginia 11 8.94%
Virginia 17 13.82%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 06:44 AM

28,272 posts, read 26,279,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Do you have a example of a southerner saying "wooder"?

The Life of a Young Crabber - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 08:16 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,598,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
Philly a Southern city? Never was, never will be. No wait, since most people can't agree on what is in the South and many want to be Southerners, I have decided that the South now extends all the way to the Canadian border, so the southernmost Northeastern state is now what ever the southernmost province in Canada is.
No one is saying that Philadelphia is a southern city. Philadelphia is obviously a northeastern city. However, people are saying that if Baltimore's vouch for being northeastern is because it's supposed to be SO much like Philadelphia according to some people (which obviously is not true because Baltimore is very different from Philly) how come a lot of people been on record have made statements about Baltimore such as describing Baltimore as a "sleepy southern town" or saying in many other ways that Baltimore is a southern city? I personally view Baltimore as a neutral or transitional city and not a northeastern or southern city because it has a combination of both northern and southern influences.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
No one is saying that Philadelphia is a southern city. Philadelphia is obviously a northeastern city. However, people are saying that if Baltimore's vouch for being northeastern is because it's supposed to be SO much like Philadelphia according to some people (which obviously is not true because Baltimore is very different from Philly) how come a lot of people been on record have made statements about Baltimore such as describing Baltimore as a "sleepy southern town" or saying in many other ways that Baltimore is a southern city? I personally view Baltimore as a neutral or transitional city and not a northeastern or southern city because it has a combination of both northern and southern influences.
If you look hard enough, I'm sure you'll find somebody who talks about growing up in a sleepy southern town called Philadelphia. Especially old timers like Bill Cosby, Chris Matthews, McCoy Tyner, Jerry Blavat, Noam Chomsky or Ed Weinberger. It wasn't until New Yorkers came down to Philadelphia that the culture became more "northern." Philadelphia's native culture was not northern; northern culture was brought to Philly by Yankee transplants.

The debate rages on over whether Philly is a northern or southern city for that very reason.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:00 AM

1,373 posts, read 823,155 times
whats the most southern, eastern state west of the mississippi but north of the mason dixon line... wow... just wow...

Old 09-23-2014, 10:21 AM

4,802 posts, read 3,856,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
whats the most southern, eastern state west of the mississippi but north of the mason dixon line... wow... just wow...
Nebraska

Old 09-23-2014, 10:26 AM

4,802 posts, read 3,856,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If you look hard enough, I'm sure you'll find somebody who talks about growing up in a sleepy southern town called Philadelphia. Especially old timers like Bill Cosby, Chris Matthews, McCoy Tyner, Jerry Blavat, Noam Chomsky or Ed Weinberger. It wasn't until New Yorkers came down to Philadelphia that the culture became more "northern." Philadelphia's native culture was not northern; northern culture was brought to Philly by Yankee transplants.

The debate rages on over whether Philly is a northern or southern city for that very reason.
Philadelphia: The Most Northern of Southern cities

The Strange Decline of the Philly Accent - CityLab

Quote:
After decades of speaking with what was in effect a southern dialect, Philadelphians were becoming – linguistically, that is – more northern.
One well known Philadelphian, Will Smith, has both Southern and Northeastern aspects to his dialect.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...75775273,d.aWw

Old 09-23-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Philadelphia: The Most Northern of Southern cities

The Strange Decline of the Philly Accent - CityLab

One well known Philadelphian, Will Smith, has both Southern and Northeastern aspects to his dialect.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...75775273,d.aWw
Exactly! Those articles clearly refer to the sleepy southern city that was Philadelphia until the Yankees took over.

Why didn't you pull out the money quote from the article?

Quote:
It was not until I moved further north that I realized how deeply rooted in the South Philadelphia truly is.
And this one.

Quote:
Philadelphia is a Southern city. When I came to Philadelphia it was as Southern, if not more so, as my hometown of Chattanooga, Tennessee.
And this one.

Quote:
Philadelphia has been described as a sleepy southern town and a commercial industrial center.
And this one.

Quote:
Philadelphia was Southern. And you learned that very quickly.
And this one.

Quote:
Philadelphia was a city of gentility, slow living and racial segregation. As in other Southern cities, there were many things Black people in Philadelphia couldn't do.
Why would you leave out those important quotes?

Last edited by BajanYankee; 09-23-2014 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: uo

Old 09-23-2014, 01:29 PM

31 posts, read 29,520 times
Philadelphia is not southern, don't make me laugh..

Anything north of Virginia is northern without question. Tell me how many whites in Philadelphia have ever eaten chitterlings. And if you had to look that up, you are NOT a southerner *cough Maryland* and you have businesses talking about whats Southern based off of your trip to Myrtle Beach...

Seriously some of you think anything that strays from the Canadian border must be southern.

Classic Yankeedom:

Classic Dixie:

That's it that's all. Not Philadelphia, or Baltimore, or Delaware or Illinois. Case closed.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeinScotts View Post
Philadelphia is not southern, don't make me laugh..

Anything north of Virginia is northern without question. Tell me how many whites in Philadelphia have ever eaten chitterlings. And if you had to look that up, you are NOT a southerner *cough Maryland* and you have businesses talking about whats Southern based off of your trip to Myrtle Beach...

Seriously some of you think anything that strays from the Canadian border must be southern.

Classic Yankeedom:

Classic Dixie:

That's it that's all. Not Philadelphia, or Baltimore, or Delaware or Illinois. Case closed.
Did you not see the quotes I posted? Philadelphia has a long history as a southern city. It was part of the Upper South. Chris Matthews even said it was Southern.

Quote:
That's what happened. I lived through it--Philadelphia was the South.
Quote:
Philadelphia was once clearly the South with all of its pride and prejudices.
Philly today is a mixture of both--neither northern nor southern. It's a classic border town with elements of north and south. And it's very far from being "Yankee." That's Massachusetts.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:42 PM

774 posts, read 1,698,233 times
Philadelphia, Mississippi is very Southern indeed. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is, was, and will always be a solid Northeastern city (with Southern influences).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or