U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Southernmost northeastern state
New Jersey 29 23.58%
Pennsylvania 14 11.38%
Delaware 7 5.69%
Maryland 45 36.59%
West Virginia 11 8.94%
Virginia 17 13.82%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 01:43 PM

31 posts, read 29,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Did you not see the quotes I posted? Philadelphia has a long history as a southern city. It was part of the Upper South. Chris Matthews even said it was Southern.

Philly today is a mixture of both--neither northern nor southern. It's a classic border town with elements of north and south. And it's very far from being "Yankee." That's Massachusetts.
Son you are deeply confused. I guarantee 99% of Americans know Philadelphia is a northern city. It is just outside of Maryland and New Jersey...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 01:44 PM

28,269 posts, read 26,273,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
Philadelphia, Mississippi is very Southern indeed. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is, was, and will always be a solid Northeastern city (with Southern influences).
Was Philadelphia not part of the Upper South with Baltimore, Richmond and DC? Do you have a source to show that "Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is, was, and will always be a solid Northeastern city"? Where are your sources? I've already proven that Philadelphia was a sleepy Southern city that has some northeastern influences from NYC/New England.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeinScotts View Post
Son you are deeply confused. I guarantee 99% of Americans know Philadelphia is a northern city. It is just outside of Maryland and New Jersey...
Like Maryland, Philadelphia has a history rooted in the South. It had Jim Crow. And Pennsylvania was one of the earliest members of the Southern Legislative Conference and the Southern Governors Association. Plus, many notable Philadelphians talk about growing up in a "sleepy southern city." Lots of sources refer to Philly as such.

Quote:
It's surprising then, that Kensington High School Grads recall the days when Philadelphia was merely a sleepy southern city.
Growing up in a sleepy, southern town | Erickson Tribune

Of course, that all changed once people from Long Island and Connecticut invaded the Delaware Valley, bringing their "Yankee" culture with them. Now Philly is more neutral with undertones of its former southern past.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:11 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,853,507 times
Quote:
Son did you NOT read what we posted? And where is this 99% statistic?

If Maryland is not the South, then neither is Virginia. You are REALLY suspect as being a guy from MD, considering the stuff people called you out on.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Son did you NOT read what we posted? And where is this 99% statistic?

If Maryland is not the South, then neither is Virginia. You are REALLY suspect as being a guy from MD, considering the stuff people called you out on.
Preach.

If Philadelphia is northern, which is questionable given its history, then that "northerness" is dependent upon transplants from the Northeast. Philadelphia depends on NYC for its Northeastern culture. Northeastern culture flows down I-95 to Philadelphia onto Baltimore and DC and now to Richmond.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:13 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,495,258 times
Come on! This is getting ridiculous. Now philly is southern too? That must have been when they thought it was part of Maryland and that was a lonnnnnnnng time ago.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:37 PM

22,009 posts, read 27,305,005 times
Quote:
You are the same person who can't find grits & fried chicken in Maryland. You think that boiled peanuts are a gauge of the South. I think that you are delusional & know nothing of the history of the MidAtlantic going back to colonial times. The feds went into Philadelphia & South Jersey in the late 60s & ordered school desegregation.

Last edited by southbound_295; 09-23-2014 at 05:23 PM..

Old 09-23-2014, 04:52 PM

620 posts, read 688,215 times
Here's a reason why West Virginia is not a southern state:

https://www.google.com/maps/@0,0,1z/...Y.kZLuybt1e3PI

The northernmost part of West Virginia is on the same latitude as Staten Island, NY, while most of West Virginia is at the same latitude as New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:47 PM

774 posts, read 1,697,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Here's a reason why West Virginia is not a southern state:

https://www.google.com/maps/@0,0,1z/...Y.kZLuybt1e3PI

The northernmost part of West Virginia is on the same latitude as Staten Island, NY, while most of West Virginia is at the same latitude as New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland.
The way this is going, NYC (Staten Island included), will be declared Southern before too long. Now Philly is Southern.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:48 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,528,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
The way this is going, NYC (Staten Island included), will be declared Southern before too long. Now Philly is Southern.
Everything's the south now! East is also west and west is east. I've decided to reverse them. Therefore my home state of NJ is southwestern. Next up on my list is officially changing the compass because who needs directions anyway when people declare areas as whatever they wish.

Writing a letter to Congress (or whoever else will listen!) about changing the compass as we speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or