U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Southernmost northeastern state
New Jersey 29 23.58%
Pennsylvania 14 11.38%
Delaware 7 5.69%
Maryland 45 36.59%
West Virginia 11 8.94%
Virginia 17 13.82%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-23-2014, 07:55 PM
 
Location: PG County, MD
582 posts, read 777,198 times
Reputation: 353

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Come on! This is getting ridiculous. Now philly is southern too? That must have been when they thought it was part of Maryland and that was a lonnnnnnnng time ago.
I don't think they're saying Philly is Southern, they're saying it has a border-culture.
I've rarely been to Philly, but if it's as much like Baltimore as folks here say it is, then I suppose one could argue that it is a border city just like Baltimore.

Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 09-23-2014 at 08:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2014, 08:33 PM
 
1,243 posts, read 1,597,372 times
Reputation: 1073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
The way this is going, NYC (Staten Island included), will be declared Southern before too long. Now Philly is Southern.
Haven't you heard already? New York city is now southern!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2014, 09:01 PM
 
1,243 posts, read 1,597,372 times
Reputation: 1073
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Like Maryland, Philadelphia has a history rooted in the South. It had Jim Crow. And Pennsylvania was one of the earliest members of the Southern Legislative Conference and the Southern Governors Association. Plus, many notable Philadelphians talk about growing up in a "sleepy southern city." Lots of sources refer to Philly as such.



Growing up in a sleepy, southern town | Erickson Tribune

Of course, that all changed once people from Long Island and Connecticut invaded the Delaware Valley, bringing their "Yankee" culture with them. Now Philly is more neutral with undertones of its former southern past.
People are getting confused by your reverse psychology of replacing statements that were really said about DC or Baltimore in with Philadelphia. They think that you are really making the argument Philly is southern but you're not. Everyone knows that Philadelphia has always been culturally a northeastern city and Philadelphia is a quintessential northeastern city but that's not the case for DC and Baltimore because to this day Baltimore and DC are border/transitional/neutral/grey area (whatever you want to call it) cities due to their northern/southern attributes therefore they are not Northeastern cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2014, 10:47 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,137 posts, read 9,913,467 times
Reputation: 6424
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Here's a reason why West Virginia is not a southern state:

https://www.google.com/maps/@0,0,1z/...Y.kZLuybt1e3PI

The northernmost part of West Virginia is on the same latitude as Staten Island, NY, while most of West Virginia is at the same latitude as New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland.
However, the northern panhandle is just a tiny part of West Virginia's land area, I would say about 5% or less. The vast majority of West Virginia is below the Mason-Dixon line.

The reason why West Virginia has a northern panhandle is because of geography. The Ohio River was decided to be the boundary between Ohio and Virginia (and later inherited by West Virginia). Major rivers made excellent boundaries, it simply made sense. However because rivers do not normally run in straight lines, this can be confusing to amateur geographers and Muppets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2014, 03:05 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,994 posts, read 27,287,306 times
Reputation: 9019
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
People are getting confused by your reverse psychology of replacing statements that were really said about DC or Baltimore in with Philadelphia. They think that you are really making the argument Philly is southern but you're not. Everyone knows that Philadelphia has always been culturally a northeastern city and Philadelphia is a quintessential northeastern city but that's not the case for DC and Baltimore because to this day Baltimore and DC are border/transitional/neutral/grey area (whatever you want to call it) cities due to their northern/southern attributes therefore they are not Northeastern cities.
No, Philly is a MidAtlantic city. MidAtlantic means a cultural blend of Northern & Southern.

Northeast is not a culture. It's a geographic location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2014, 03:50 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,270 posts, read 19,560,434 times
Reputation: 13047
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
People are getting confused by your reverse psychology of replacing statements that were really said about DC or Baltimore in with Philadelphia. They think that you are really making the argument Philly is southern but you're not. Everyone knows that Philadelphia has always been culturally a northeastern city and Philadelphia is a quintessential northeastern city but that's not the case for DC and Baltimore because to this day Baltimore and DC are border/transitional/neutral/grey area (whatever you want to call it) cities due to their northern/southern attributes therefore they are not Northeastern cities.
Except that one part of the Philadelphia metro area which is now in Maryland must be in the South since it is below the ol' Mason Dixie line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2014, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,258,197 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Except that one part of the Philadelphia metro area which is now in Maryland must be in the South since it is below the ol' Mason Dixie line.
Correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2014, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,258,197 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
I don't think they're saying Philly is Southern, they're saying it has a border-culture.
I've rarely been to Philly, but if it's as much like Baltimore as folks here say it is, then I suppose one could argue that it is a border city just like Baltimore.
They are identical in about every way. Both were described as sleepy southern towns until about the 70s or 80s.

Quote:
If you do not need an introduction to David Simon, then you do not need an article to tell you what a pleasure it is to watch Treme (HBO, Sundays at 10 p.m.), the new New Orleans-set drama, created by Simon and Eric Overmyer, that exhibits the potential to emerge, like The Wire, as a rich and complicated portrait of the urban South. If you do not think that Baltimore is in the South, then think again, hon.
David Simon's Treme reviewed.

All three cities--Philly, Baltimore and DC--were considered southern cities before the Great Yankee Migration. Philadelphia, as the quote I posted indicates, was as Southern as Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2014, 07:55 AM
 
1,243 posts, read 1,597,372 times
Reputation: 1073
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
No, Philly is a MidAtlantic city. MidAtlantic means a cultural blend of Northern & Southern.

Northeast is not a culture. It's a geographic location.
No. All of the Jersey cities, Philadelphia and New York city etc are all both Northeastern cities and Mid Atlantic cities. The Northeast is a cultural region with two sub regions which are the upper Mid Atlantic (PA, NY, NJ) and New England (CT, RI, MA, NH, VT, ME) and also obviously it is a geographical location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2014, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,258,197 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
No. All of the Jersey cities, Philadelphia and New York city etc are all both Northeastern cities and Mid Atlantic cities. The Northeast is a cultural region with two sub regions which are the upper Mid Atlantic (PA, NY, NJ) and New England (CT, RI, MA, NH, VT, ME) and also obviously it is a geographical location.
Prove it. Where are the multitude of sources placing Philadelphia in the Northeastern United States?

If it were so simple, then you would simply supply the sources. But since there are hardly any sources supporting this assertion, it continues to be debated.

Philly, Baltimore and DC were all historically part of the South, but have now "de-southernized" after a massive influx of NYC/New England transplants. There was nothing northern about Philadelphia prior to 1970. The northern culture came from NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top