U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Southernmost northeastern state
New Jersey 29 23.58%
Pennsylvania 14 11.38%
Delaware 7 5.69%
Maryland 45 36.59%
West Virginia 11 8.94%
Virginia 17 13.82%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 10:08 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,487,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Um, I'm pretty sure DC is culturally northeastern. You're not going to find this in southern cities.

yeah most of it but it still has southern history, so I doubt if that will ever be totally wiped out, no matter how many yankees move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 10:09 AM

21,986 posts, read 27,287,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
No. All of the Jersey cities, Philadelphia and New York city etc are all both Northeastern cities and Mid Atlantic cities. The Northeast is a cultural region with two sub regions which are the upper Mid Atlantic (PA, NY, NJ) and New England (CT, RI, MA, NH, VT, ME) and also obviously it is a geographical location.
Quote:
Raleigh is also becoming Northeastern much the way DC and Baltimore did. I don't think the whole state of North Carolina can ever be Northeastern, but Raleigh is clearly emerging as the tail end of the powerful BOSLEIGH corridor.

Raleigh has lost its drawl, y’all | Wake County | NewsObserver.com

Linguistically, Raleigh has more in common with Philadelphia than it does with other southern cities.
There is a native accent in & near Charlotte that is nearly identical to Philadelphia. The Philadelphia-like accent is not limited to Raleigh & Charlotte but is usually heard in younger people. In the Charlotte area it extends up to baby boomers.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:12 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,258,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
There is a native accent in & near Charlotte that is nearly identical to Philadelphia. The Philadelphia-like accent is not limited to Raleigh & Charlotte but is usually heard in younger people. In the Charlotte area it extends up to baby boomers.
That makes sense considering settlement patterns.

Great Wagon Road - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.carolana.com/NC/Royal_Col...wagon_road.jpg

Old 09-24-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Pull up videos & listen to Anthony Fox & Kay Hagen. Then pull up a video & listen to Michael Nutter.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:27 AM

7,137 posts, read 9,913,467 times
I do not think using party politics, which have varied widely over the years, is a good way to describe regions. This is especially true of the states around DC like Virginia and Maryland where government workers tend to vote for the Democrats. This does not make the states more "Northeastern" or more "Southern".

Here is a list of Senators from the State of Virginia and the party they belonged to. As you can see the party varied widely over the years.

\List of United States Senators from Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A list of Virginia governors which notes the party they belong to. As you can see the party varied widely over the years.

List of Governors of Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-24-2014, 11:42 AM

7,137 posts, read 9,913,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm a baby boomer. We were taught that the east coast is divided into 3 regions, New England, the MidAtlantic, & the South. There was no such thing as the Northeast & Southeast until Amtrak redivided the east coast. The Northeast rail corridor went from Boston to DC because that was the Megapolis.

When the mills closed in Philly the displaced mill workers went to North Carolina. It was no secret.
This has to be wrong.

Amtrak only dates from the 1970s - are you saying there was no Northeast or Southeast until the 1970s? I find that hard to believe.

Right off the bat the Northwest Territory (the Great Lake States) dates to the late 1780s. Right after that came the Southwest Territory. If there was a Northwest it stands to reason there was a Northeast. And if there was a Southwest there would be a Southeast.

Northwest Territory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Southwest Territory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its an interesting question when they started to using the terms Northeast and Southeast but I believe it was way way back in our country's history. Certainly before Amtrak came about in the 1970s!

Old 09-24-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
This has to be wrong.

Amtrak only dates from the 1970s - are you saying there was no Northeast or Southeast until the 1970s? I find that hard to believe.

Right off the bat the Northwest Territory (the Great Lake States) dates to the late 1780s. Right after that came the Southwest Territory. If there was a Northwest it stands to reason there was a Northeast. And if there was a Southwest there would be a Southeast.

Northwest Territory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Southwest Territory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its an interesting question when they started to using the terms Northeast and Southeast but I believe it was way way back in our country's history. Certainly before Amtrak came about in the 1970s!
Yes, that's what I'm saying. I learned the sections of the US in Michigan. It was taught the same way to my contemporaries in NJ, PA, MD, & NC. I haven't had a reason to discuss grade-school geography with my contemporaries from other states. The Northwest Territory is now called the upper Midwest.

Somewhere along the line the northeast rail corridor was applied to the geographic region. It's nonsensical. Think about it. Why would you subdivide the MidAtlantic & put it into two regions? The northeast rail corridor ended in DC because the megapolis ended there. Philadelphia, Baltimore, & DC have more in common with Richmond than Boston.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:34 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,919,120 times
The people in the Deep South don't even consider Virginia and Kentucky the "real south" even thou they are both southern states. Maryland is not the south at all thou sorry.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:55 PM

582 posts, read 777,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
The people in the Deep South don't even consider Virginia and Kentucky the "real south" even thou they are both southern states. Maryland is not the south at all thou sorry.
And this is the part of these discussions that I really don't understand. Want to say MD is not the south? Okay, that's reasonable given the majority culture of the state. It's not southern at all? That statement is ridiculous.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:57 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,258,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I do not think using party politics, which have varied widely over the years, is a good way to describe regions. This is especially true of the states around DC like Virginia and Maryland where government workers tend to vote for the Democrats. This does not make the states more "Northeastern" or more "Southern".

Here is a list of Senators from the State of Virginia and the party they belonged to. As you can see the party varied widely over the years.

\List of United States Senators from Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A list of Virginia governors which notes the party they belong to. As you can see the party varied widely over the years.

List of Governors of Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah, sure, back in the day before there was a clear party demarcation that ran along regional lines. Virginia now votes like a Northeastern state.

Ranking states by the liberalism/conservatism of their voters - Statistical Modeling, Causal Inference, and Social Science Statistical Modeling, Causal Inference, and Social Science

In 2000, Virginia was more socially liberal than Pennsylvania. Economically, it was only slightly more conservative than Illinois and California. It was nowhere near the Carolinas, Texas, Georgia, Missisippi, Tennessee, or any southern state.

In the 14 years since, Virginia has voted for Barack Obama twice, elected a governor who proudly endorsed gay marriage and citizenship for illegal immigrants, and elected two Democrats to the U.S. Senate. No southern state fits that profile. That sounds a lot more like New York than it does Alabama.

And the future is only getting brighter for Virginia. The same demographic changes that pushed Maryland out of the South are doing the same to Virginia. Virginia is becoming ever more liberal, it has the best public university in the country (ranked higher than Berkeley), and has transit connecting Newport News, Richmond, and Alexandria to New York, Providence and Boston. It is economically, culturally and politically tied into the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or