U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Southernmost northeastern state
New Jersey 29 23.58%
Pennsylvania 14 11.38%
Delaware 7 5.69%
Maryland 45 36.59%
West Virginia 11 8.94%
Virginia 17 13.82%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-24-2014, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,272 posts, read 26,292,241 times
Reputation: 11734

Advertisements

The Washington Post noted this sea change last November.

Quote:
The changes result partly from national changes in attitudes and partly from shifting demographics that have transformed Virginia from a conservative Southern state to a centrist Middle Atlantic one.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...d8f_story.html

Virginia is rapidly filling up with Latinos and young White Liberals and African Americans from the Northeast. It's only going to become more liberal as time passes.

When my dad was growing up, the South used to start in Baltimore. Then the cultural Mason-Dixon Line moved down to the Potomac River. Then it moved just south of Fredericksburg. Now it's moving even farther South, if the results of last November's gubernatorial election mean anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-24-2014, 03:52 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,857,540 times
Reputation: 2585
BajanYankee is not saying Philly is not geographically Northeastern, he is saying that Philly and Balmer's reputations and history makes them close together culturally, and that Philly had a very Southern-like history. He is saying that if Philly had a Southern history, there is NO way Baltimore couldn't. Also, Baltimore is the more Southern of the two. Philly is half-Southern, Baltimore is full-on Southern, but culturally it is losing its Southern-ness.

Same thing has happened here in Chicago. Transplants from the South, the West, and the Northeast have made this city a hodge podge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2014, 04:41 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,141 posts, read 9,925,452 times
Reputation: 6429
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
BajanYankee is not saying Philly is not geographically Northeastern, he is saying that Philly and Balmer's reputations and history makes them close together culturally, and that Philly had a very Southern-like history. He is saying that if Philly had a Southern history, there is NO way Baltimore couldn't. Also, Baltimore is the more Southern of the two. Philly is half-Southern, Baltimore is full-on Southern, but culturally it is losing its Southern-ness.

Same thing has happened here in Chicago. Transplants from the South, the West, and the Northeast have made this city a hodge podge.
Philadelphia has a Southern like history? When and how??? And Philadelphia is half southern?

The last few pages, I swear I never saw a more fracked up thread before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2014, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,272 posts, read 26,292,241 times
Reputation: 11734
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Philadelphia has a Southern like history? When and how??? And Philadelphia is half southern?
Isn't that logical though?

Baltimore has always been close to the North and has always felt its influences. Likewise, Philadelphia is close to the South, and has always felt its influences.

Not sure why influences would only travel one direction (North to South). In America, I suppose that makes sense, though. It's like how when you're half Black and half White, you can be considered "Black" or "African American," but never "White." It only goes one direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2014, 04:47 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,141 posts, read 9,925,452 times
Reputation: 6429
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Yes, that's what I'm saying. I learned the sections of the US in Michigan. It was taught the same way to my contemporaries in NJ, PA, MD, & NC. I haven't had a reason to discuss grade-school geography with my contemporaries from other states. The Northwest Territory is now called the upper Midwest.

Somewhere along the line the northeast rail corridor was applied to the geographic region. It's nonsensical. Think about it. Why would you subdivide the MidAtlantic & put it into two regions? The northeast rail corridor ended in DC because the megapolis ended there. Philadelphia, Baltimore, & DC have more in common with Richmond than Boston.
If your saying that the terms Northeast and Southeast only date to the creation of Amtrak (1970s) then you are outright wrong.

Northeastern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Census Bureau has defined the Northeast region as comprising nine states: the New England states of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont; and the Mid-Atlantic states of New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania.[1][a] This definition has been essentially unchanged since 1880, and is widely used as a standard for data tabulation.[7][8][9][10] The Census Bureau has acknowledged the limitations of this definition[11] and the potential merits of a proposal created after the 1950 census that would include changing regional boundaries to include Delaware, Maryland, and Washington, D.C. with the Mid-Atlantic states, but ultimately decided that "the new system did not win enough overall acceptance among data users to warrant adoption as an official new set of general-purpose State groupings.

So the term "Northeast" dates to at least 1880 and has nothing to do with Amtrak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2014, 04:50 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,141 posts, read 9,925,452 times
Reputation: 6429
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Isn't that logical though?

Baltimore has always been close to the North and has always felt its influences. Likewise, Philadelphia is close to the South, and has always felt its influences.

Not sure why influences would only travel one direction (North to South). In America, I suppose that makes sense, though. It's like how when you're half Black and half White, you can be considered "Black" or "African American," but never "White." It only goes one direction.
No.

What is Southern about Philadelphia's history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2014, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,272 posts, read 26,292,241 times
Reputation: 11734
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
No.

What is Southern about Philadelphia's history?
No? Why wouldn't Philadelphia have southern influences? The dialect of Philadelphia is southern-influenced.

The Strange Decline of the Philly Accent - CityLab

Was there a forcefield along the Pennsylvania border preventing the encroachment of southern culture and influence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2014, 04:55 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,141 posts, read 9,925,452 times
Reputation: 6429
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No? Why wouldn't Philadelphia have southern influences? The dialect of Philadelphia is southern-influenced.

The Strange Decline of the Philly Accent - CityLab

Was there a forcefield on the Pennsylvania border preventing the encroachment of southern culture and influence?
We were talking about HISTORY not influences.

What is Southern about Philadelphia's history?

History of Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2014, 04:57 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,272 posts, read 26,292,241 times
Reputation: 11734
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
We were talking about HISTORY not influences.

What is Southern about Philadelphia's history?

History of Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You and EddieOlSkool were talking about history. I was talking about Philadelphia's southern influences.

Though to Eddie's point, it makes sense that Philadelphia would have a Southern history since Baltimore has a southern history. Philadelphia and Baltimore are basically the same city.

Quote:
Baltimore once was clearly a Southern city - with all of the pride of the South and all its prejudices
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...stern-maryland

How could something apply to Baltimore and not equally to Philadelphia?

Last edited by BajanYankee; 09-24-2014 at 05:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2014, 05:07 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,141 posts, read 9,925,452 times
Reputation: 6429
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You and EddieOlSkool were talking about history. I was talking about Philadelphia's southern influences.
Understood. People can talk about Philadelphia's or for that matter Nome, Alaska's "southern influences" for all I care. But peeps saying that Philadelphia has a Southern history or there has never been a Northeast or Southeast until the 1970s is just plain out of space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top