U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Southernmost northeastern state
New Jersey 29 23.58%
Pennsylvania 14 11.38%
Delaware 7 5.69%
Maryland 45 36.59%
West Virginia 11 8.94%
Virginia 17 13.82%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 06:57 PM

7,141 posts, read 9,923,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm a baby boomer. We were taught that the east coast is divided into 3 regions, New England, the MidAtlantic, & the South. There was no such thing as the Northeast & Southeast until Amtrak redivided the east coast. The Northeast rail corridor went from Boston to DC because that was the Megapolis.

When the mills closed in Philly the displaced mill workers went to North Carolina. It was no secret.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I said that I never heard northeast applied as a region until after Amtrak slapped the term onto the rail corridor. I'm not going to say that that is wrong because what I said is the truth.
Ok but stating almost like it is a fact that "there was no such thing until Amtrak as the Northeast & Southeast redivided the east coast" and now saying "I have never heard" is two different things. Anyway, regardless the terms Northeast and Southeast have been around for a long time.

Northeastern University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Northeastern University (1898)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southea...rsity_(Florida) Southeastern University (1935)

Maybe we should put this to rest now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 07:33 AM

22,023 posts, read 27,318,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Ok but stating almost like it is a fact that "there was no such thing until Amtrak as the Northeast & Southeast redivided the east coast" and now saying "I have never heard" is two different things. Anyway, regardless the terms Northeast and Southeast have been around for a long time.

Northeastern University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Northeastern University (1898)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southea...rsity_(Florida) Southeastern University (1935)

Maybe we should put this to rest now.
I never heard it because geography was not taught with the east coast divided into 2 regions. My generation & before were taught that there were 3 regions on the east coast. It eliminated the arguments of who's north & who's south because there was a transition zone. Sorry you can't understand that just because there was use of northeast & southeast in different ways that those were not taught in schools as regions.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:48 PM

1,587 posts, read 988,148 times
Maybe I'm in the minority opinion here (be gentle with me).. The long-standing definition of America's geographic North and South is the Mason-Dixon line. So North & South is not subjective, since the Mason-Dixon has not moved. I understand the case being made that a Border State like Maryland is (in parts) culturally transformed into a Northern culture.. But by definition Maryland's still located in the South.

And Virginia being voted as 'northeast' is geographically, (historically, & culturally), inaccurate. peace

Old 05-13-2015, 02:56 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,448,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority opinion here (be gentle with me).. The long-standing definition of America's geographic North and South is the Mason-Dixon line. So North & South is not subjective, since the Mason-Dixon has not moved. I understand the case being made that a Border State like Maryland is (in parts) culturally transformed into a Northern culture.. But by definition Maryland's still located in the South.

And Virginia being voted as 'northeast' is geographically, (historically, & culturally), inaccurate. peace
Why would you consider a state part of a region based on a 200 year old border that was made when the state had a few thousand people living in it and looked completely different, vs considering it based on modern cultures of the states?

It's like drawing a circle around Colorado and New Mexico and saying "these are the Anasazi states"

Old 05-13-2015, 04:07 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,535,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Why would you consider a state part of a region based on a 200 year old border that was made when the state had a few thousand people living in it and looked completely different, vs considering it based on modern cultures of the states?

It's like drawing a circle around Colorado and New Mexico and saying "these are the Anasazi states"
The counter argument to that would be, let's forget about history all together! Who cares what happened 200 years ago?... What Holocaust? 9/11? Constitution, that old thing? What relevance do they have on today, it was in the past!

See, doesn't sound so great when you put it that way, does it?

Old 05-13-2015, 06:14 PM

1,110 posts, read 911,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
The counter argument to that would be, let's forget about history all together! Who cares what happened 200 years ago?... What Holocaust? 9/11? Constitution, that old thing? What relevance do they have on today, it was in the past!

See, doesn't sound so great when you put it that way, does it?
That's a really extreme take on what he was saying. We're not forgetting history, but realizing that times have changed and the scenarios aren't the same. Why do you think the Constitution has been amended so many times?

Old 05-13-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
That's a really extreme take on what he was saying. We're not forgetting history, but realizing that times have changed and the scenarios aren't the same. Why do you think the Constitution has been amended so many times?
Sure it's extreme but it's valid. If we ignore history for the Mason Dixon Line we could also ignore it for anything else we please.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:11 PM

9,401 posts, read 9,563,269 times
There are other things that make States Southern, County Governments and State Colleges are two things that make Maryland Southern, and PA a NE/MW border state. while New England States and NYS most prominate Colleges ( Acidemic and Sports) are private ( Harvard, BU, BC, Brown, Providence, Dartmouth, Yale, Syracuse, Columbia) while Southern States have huge followings for public colleges (UVA, UMD, OSU, UNC, etc)

Old 05-13-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
There are other things that make States Southern, County Governments and State Colleges are two things that make Maryland Southern, and PA a NE/MW border state. while New England States and NYS most prominate Colleges ( Acidemic and Sports) are private ( Harvard, BU, BC, Brown, Providence, Dartmouth, Yale, Syracuse, Columbia) while Southern States have huge followings for public colleges (UVA, UMD, OSU, UNC, etc)
Can't forget Princeton in NJ! And Rutgers.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:46 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,815,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Sure it's extreme but it's valid. If we ignore history for the Mason Dixon Line we could also ignore it for anything else we please.
It's a made up line. It's not that serious..... It's not like there is an actual legit line that physically shows the south and north. It was made by MAN...... With your logic the Berlin Wall should still be up in Germany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or