U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Southernmost northeastern state
New Jersey 29 23.58%
Pennsylvania 14 11.38%
Delaware 7 5.69%
Maryland 45 36.59%
West Virginia 11 8.94%
Virginia 17 13.82%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 06:21 PM

620 posts, read 688,617 times

Advertisements

To the people who voted New Jersey as the southernmost northeastern state:

You didn't know Delaware exist? Baltimore, MD is more northern than Cape May, NJ, so Baltimore is a Northeastern City like Wilmington, DE and Philadelphia, PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 06:33 PM

3,584 posts, read 2,508,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
To the people who voted New Jersey as the southernmost northeastern state:

You didn't know Delaware exist? Baltimore, MD is more northern than Cape May, NJ, so Baltimore is a Northeastern City like Wilmington, DE and Philadelphia, PA.
The question is "What is the southernmost "Northeastern" state geographically.

Since Maryland and Delaware are not "northeastern" states... their geographic location then does not matter as they are disqualified from being named. The southernmost "northeastern" state would then go to New Jersey by default despite the same latitude.

If I said "What is the southernmost New England state geographically" the answer cannot be New York as it is not a New England state. The answer would default to Connecticut.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:54 PM

7,749 posts, read 6,164,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
The question is "What is the southernmost "Northeastern" state geographically.

Since Maryland and Delaware are not "northeastern" states... their geographic location then does not matter as they are disqualified from being named. The southernmost "northeastern" state would then go to New Jersey by default despite the same latitude.

If I said "What is the southernmost New England state geographically" the answer cannot be New York as it is not a New England state. The answer would default to Connecticut.
Maybe the OP was a little vague with the question. If the question is was is the southernmost state in what is defined by the census bureau as the northeast, then NJ is the answer. If the question is what state is the southernmost state on the northern half of the east coast, then it is Virginia from Richmond north.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:55 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,857,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The OP said geographically, not culturally, history, demographically, or politically.... Geographically.
Then geographically it's....

The southern tip of New Jersey.

Maryland (Murland) is in the South. The amount of Democrats, college-educated people, and people ashamed of being called Southern does not make it NOT the South. If it's not the South, it's the Mid-Atlantic. But it ain't Northeastern! Have you people even heard Maryland dialects? They sound nothing like the Northeast dialects. When I hear Murlanders sound like New Yorkers or even Philly (which has a very slight southern pronunciation but nowhere near as Southern as Balmer), then I can grant you that Maryland is in the Northeast. Hasn't happened. If anything, the transplants in Murland from elsewhere have diluted the Murland accent to the point it sounds more Midwestern especially in the DC suburbs and the areas around the river/Virgina border (like Fredrick, Rockville, and Bethesda). Linguistically, Maryland is moving even further from the Northeast dialect that it never had!

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 08-28-2014 at 07:05 PM..

Old 08-28-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Maybe the OP was a little vague with the question. If the question is was is the southernmost state in what is defined by the census bureau as the northeast, then NJ is the answer. If the question is what state is the southernmost state on the northern half of the east coast, then it is Virginia from Richmond north.
I was talking about any definition of the northeast, not just the census bureau. I use the most common definition, so for me, Maryland is the southernmost northeastern state.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:00 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,857,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
I'm a born and raised black Philadelphian and I still live in Philly. My word carries a lot more weight than your's because you are a outsider. I know exactly how black Philadelphians talk and the overwhelming majority of the black Philadelphians that I ever heard say the word "Maryland" pronounce it as "Maralind" or "Mawalind" (non rhetoric) or the proper way. That is nothing like the Baltimore, MD and DC southern like pronunciation of "Murland". You guys down south in Baltimore try so hard to align yourself with a northeastern city like Philly. Its flattering but the two cities have many differences which has been discussed many times in countless threads.
Exactly. Northeastern Blacks sound much different than their Southern counterparts. Balmer blacks and Whites say Murland unless they are transplants. Philly and NY Blacks and Whites say Maralind or Mawalind just like you said which coincides with a more Eastern way of talking, NOT Southern. In fact, I think a good way to tell if a city is Northeastern is to see how the Blacks talk relative to Whites. Blacks in New York and Philly sound like the Italians from New York and Philly. Blacks in Murland sound like the Whites (locals) who sound Southern as hell.

This phenomenon of Blacks and Whites sounding the same is seen in the Northeast and the South. It can be a marker of where you are. In the Midwest, due to Great Migration, Blacks continue having a Southern-like dialect. And whenever Blacks from Baltimore come to Chicago they sound Southern, not like their true Northeast counterparts in NY and Boston, and yes, Philly. Northeastern Blacks don't sound Southern. Baltimore Blacks DO sound Southern.

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 08-28-2014 at 07:08 PM..

Old 08-28-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Exactly. Northeastern Blacks sound much different than their Southern counterparts. Balmer blacks and Whites say Murland unless they are transplants. Philly and NY Blacks and Whites say Maralind or Mawalind just like you said which coincides with a more Eastern way of talking, NOT Southern. In fact, I think a good way to tell if a city is Northeastern is to see how the Blacks talk. Blacks in New York and Philly sound like the Italians from New York and Philly. Blacks in Murland sound like the Whites (locals) who sound Southern as hell.
Then why in most dialect maps, they place Baltimore in the same region as Philadelphia?

Old 08-28-2014, 07:06 PM

7,749 posts, read 6,164,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Exactly. Northeastern Blacks sound much different than their Southern counterparts. Balmer blacks and Whites say Murland unless they are transplants. Philly and NY Blacks and Whites say Maralind or Mawalind just like you said which coincides with a more Eastern way of talking, NOT Southern. In fact, I think a good way to tell if a city is Northeastern is to see how the Blacks talk. Blacks in New York and Philly sound like the Italians from New York and Philly. Blacks in Murland sound like the Whites (locals) who sound Southern as hell.
Blacks in Philly sound nothing like whites in Philly. Whites in Philly sound like whites in Baltimore. Black in Baltimore, Philly, and DC and their own distinct accents with some cross pollinating between them.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:20 PM

9,401 posts, read 9,566,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
I was talking about any definition of the northeast, not just the census bureau. I use the most common definition, so for me, Maryland is the southernmost northeastern state.
Not the most common definition your definition of the NE 13 people said NJ/PA 1 said DE so 14 say the NE ends north of MD 9 say MD is furthest south
In fact 9/26 is not a majority.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:56 PM

781 posts, read 1,096,717 times
@Muppet Cape May is also on the same parallel or maybe even a tad bit more southern than Winchester VA so is Winchester a NE city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or