U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Southernmost northeastern state
New Jersey 29 23.58%
Pennsylvania 14 11.38%
Delaware 7 5.69%
Maryland 45 36.59%
West Virginia 11 8.94%
Virginia 17 13.82%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 08-28-2014, 08:10 PM
 
620 posts, read 687,908 times
Reputation: 244

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
@Muppet Cape May is also on the same parallel or maybe even a tad bit more southern than Winchester VA so is Winchester a NE city?
Winchester is in Virginia, so Winchester is not a Northeastern city. Anything south of Maryland is Southeastern.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-28-2014, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,504,684 times
Reputation: 2927
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Winchester is in Virginia, so Winchester is not a Northeastern city. Anything south of Maryland is Southeastern.
Interesting how you shifted your logic here. I've seen you say numerous times that Maryland is a northeastern state BECAUSE it is of the same latitude as the southern half of NJ. Yet here you ignore this logic and say that it can't be northeastern because it is in Virginia despite their proximity.

Example post in "Which states are considered northeastern?" Post 1175

http://www.city-data.com/forum/36247170-post1175.html


Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26
So this means at one time, Annapolis, MD, Baltimore, MD and Easton, MD are southern, but Georgetown, DE, Dover, DE, Cape May, NJ and Atlantic City, NJ are northern despite all of those cities being located at the same latitude?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,524 posts, read 2,264,566 times
Reputation: 2168
Obviously anyone here who has actually ben to Winchester knows it is culturally southern and markedly different from Maryland or Delaware. It's a laughable idea.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 09:02 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,850,263 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Then why in most dialect maps, they place Baltimore in the same region as Philadelphia?
Yeah Philly has Southern elements to it, unlike Balmer which is just Southern. Philly's sound is more NE with a little bit of South in it. Pittsburgh also has a little bit of South in it, too, yet not even I (the guy who people claim that thinks Pittsburgh is Southern) will say Pittsburgh is in the South. It's Northeastern geographically, but it's close to the border.

Look, Maryland is a transition state at best. Technically, it's a border state. But what exactly makes it fully Northeastern? Is it the cultural hodge podge caused by out of state transplants that dilute the Southern culture thus making it less Southern and more of nothing? Because if we use the culture argument and the linguistic argument, Maryland is quickly turning into neither South nor anything else. The diluted Maryland dialect is sounding more like Standard American than the Northeastern dialects. Do I think that Maryland has Northeastern elements to it? Yes. Just like how Missouri has Midwestern elements to it. Just like how parts of Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois have Southern elements to them. Such is what happens with border states. Doesn't mean that Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois are in the South. I have news for you, linguistic regions overlap and no state near a border has pure elements of one dialect. In some parts of Chicago people say y'all. Doesn't make us Southern. Our dialect is still Midwestern even if some elements are retained from migration patterns. Kind of how Maryland's dialect is still Southern despite it being near a transition zone.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 09:03 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,850,263 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Winchester is in Virginia, so Winchester is not a Northeastern city. Anything south of Maryland is Southeastern.
What makes you decide this? How is Virginia Southern and Maryland isn't? What is your dividing line?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 09:13 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,524 posts, read 2,264,566 times
Reputation: 2168
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Yeah Philly has Southern elements to it, unlike Balmer which is just Southern. Philly's sound is more NE with a little bit of South in it. Pittsburgh also has a little bit of South in it, too, yet not even I (the guy who people claim that thinks Pittsburgh is Southern) will say Pittsburgh is in the South. It's Northeastern geographically, but it's close to the border.

Look, Maryland is a transition state at best. Technically, it's a border state. But what exactly makes it fully Northeastern? Is it the cultural hodge podge caused by out of state transplants that dilute the Southern culture thus making it less Southern and more of nothing? Because if we use the culture argument and the linguistic argument, Maryland is quickly turning into neither South nor anything else. The diluted Maryland dialect is sounding more like Standard American than the Northeastern dialects. Do I think that Maryland has Northeastern elements to it? Yes. Just like how Missouri has Midwestern elements to it. Just like how parts of Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois have Southern elements to them. Such is what happens with border states. Doesn't mean that Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois are in the South. I have news for you, linguistic regions overlap and no state near a border has pure elements of one dialect. In some parts of Chicago people say y'all. Doesn't make us Southern. Our dialect is still Midwestern even if some elements are retained from migration patterns. Kind of how Maryland's dialect is still Southern despite it being near a transition zone.
No offense but you have no clue what you are talking about. Maryland is almost entirely northern speech shared with Philadelphia, southern Jersey, and Pennsylvania. It sounds like you are very unfamiliar with the area and just reading things online. There really is nothing southern about Maryland (or Delaware) unless you go to the sparsely populated areas of the southern eastern shore, the accent and culture is definitively northern. The accent of Baltimore is extremely similar to that of Philadelphia and that is why linguists place them in the same group. I would love to say I am a southerner but it is just not true. Politically, culturally, linguistically, economically, and in terms of ancestry these places are absolutely the north. Do areas have southern influence? Abosultely. But the states are certainly northern, just like Illinois has parts that are rather southern but is generally northern state.





And let's take a look at religion:

And how about ancestry?



And Politics?





A poll conducted that asks which states are southern. Maryland came in at a whopping 6% just ahead of Ohio, Illinois and Pennsylvania..



Seriously Eddie, these are northeastern states. Perhaps not 100% pure, and perhaps there are parts with southern influence, but definitely northeastern to speak generally. That's why Delaware and Maryland are usually considered the northeast.


Last edited by hobbesdj; 08-28-2014 at 09:29 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 09:46 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,746 posts, read 6,152,030 times
Reputation: 3598
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Yeah Philly has Southern elements to it, unlike Balmer which is just Southern. Philly's sound is more NE with a little bit of South in it. Pittsburgh also has a little bit of South in it, too, yet not even I (the guy who people claim that thinks Pittsburgh is Southern) will say Pittsburgh is in the South. It's Northeastern geographically, but it's close to the border.

Look, Maryland is a transition state at best. Technically, it's a border state. But what exactly makes it fully Northeastern? Is it the cultural hodge podge caused by out of state transplants that dilute the Southern culture thus making it less Southern and more of nothing? Because if we use the culture argument and the linguistic argument, Maryland is quickly turning into neither South nor anything else. The diluted Maryland dialect is sounding more like Standard American than the Northeastern dialects. Do I think that Maryland has Northeastern elements to it? Yes. Just like how Missouri has Midwestern elements to it. Just like how parts of Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois have Southern elements to them. Such is what happens with border states. Doesn't mean that Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois are in the South. I have news for you, linguistic regions overlap and no state near a border has pure elements of one dialect. In some parts of Chicago people say y'all. Doesn't make us Southern. Our dialect is still Midwestern even if some elements are retained from migration patterns. Kind of how Maryland's dialect is still Southern despite it being near a transition zone.
Being from the northeast doesn't matter really. Bragging about things that don't matter at the end of the day is kind of pointless.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,504,684 times
Reputation: 2927
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
No offense but you have no clue what you are talking about. Maryland is almost entirely northern speech shared with Philadelphia, southern Jersey, and Pennsylvania. It sounds like you are very unfamiliar with the area and just reading things online. There really is nothing southern about Maryland (or Delaware) unless you go to the sparsely populated areas of the southern eastern shore, the accent and culture is definitively northern. The accent of Baltimore is extremely similar to that of Philadelphia and that is why linguists place them in the same group. I would love to say I am a southerner but it is just not true. Politically, culturally, linguistically, economically, and in terms of ancestry these places are absolutely the north. Do areas have southern influence? Abosultely. But the states are certainly northern, just like Illinois has parts that are rather southern but is generally northern state.





And let's take a look at religion:

And how about ancestry?



And Politics?





A poll conducted that asks which states are southern. Maryland came in at a whopping 6% just ahead of Ohio, Illinois and Pennsylvania..



Seriously Eddie, these are northeastern states. Perhaps not 100% pure, and perhaps there are parts with southern influence, but definitely northeastern to speak generally. That's why Delaware and Maryland are usually considered the northeast.
How people "feel" about which states are north or which states are south are irrelevant. You can post as many people's feelings as you'd like just the same as you can post the feelings of people regarding WV or any other states. Maryland was a southern state and still is a southern state.

You can't just "change" a states status as "southern" because you feel that it's politics, religions, and accents have changed. The Mid-Atlantic region has been brought up many times... Mid-Atlantic you may be, northeastern you are not.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 10:38 PM
 
2,253 posts, read 2,753,879 times
Reputation: 931
I agree. No region is static. Virginia has undergone a lot of the demographic changes too that Maryland has seen, although to a lesser degree.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 10:41 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,746 posts, read 6,152,030 times
Reputation: 3598
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
How people "feel" about which states are north or which states are south are irrelevant. You can post as many people's feelings as you'd like just the same as you can post the feelings of people regarding WV or any other states. Maryland was a southern state and still is a southern state.

You can't just "change" a states status as "southern" because you feel that it's politics, religions, and accents have changed. The Mid-Atlantic region has been brought up many times... Mid-Atlantic you may be, northeastern you are not.
The white Baltimore accent hasn't changed at all. I would like to know how black people in Baltimore spoke before the great migration, however.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top