U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Southernmost northeastern state
New Jersey 29 23.58%
Pennsylvania 14 11.38%
Delaware 7 5.69%
Maryland 45 36.59%
West Virginia 11 8.94%
Virginia 17 13.82%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 10:41 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,597,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Yeah Philly has Southern elements to it, unlike Balmer which is just Southern. Philly's sound is more NE with a little bit of South in it. Pittsburgh also has a little bit of South in it, too, yet not even I (the guy who people claim that thinks Pittsburgh is Southern) will say Pittsburgh is in the South. It's Northeastern geographically, but it's close to the border.

Look, Maryland is a transition state at best. Technically, it's a border state. But what exactly makes it fully Northeastern? Is it the cultural hodge podge caused by out of state transplants that dilute the Southern culture thus making it less Southern and more of nothing? Because if we use the culture argument and the linguistic argument, Maryland is quickly turning into neither South nor anything else. The diluted Maryland dialect is sounding more like Standard American than the Northeastern dialects. Do I think that Maryland has Northeastern elements to it? Yes. Just like how Missouri has Midwestern elements to it. Just like how parts of Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois have Southern elements to them. Such is what happens with border states. Doesn't mean that Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois are in the South. I have news for you, linguistic regions overlap and no state near a border has pure elements of one dialect. In some parts of Chicago people say y'all. Doesn't make us Southern. Our dialect is still Midwestern even if some elements are retained from migration patterns. Kind of how Maryland's dialect is still Southern despite it being near a transition zone.
Actually the Philadelphia accent is overwhelmingly northeastern with certain Midland vowels but there is no southern influence to the accent. While in contrast, the Baltimore accent has a southern twang/influence to go along with it's Midland vowels (these "Midland" vowels create the somewhat similar "o" sound in certain words between the two accents and that is the only reason they are grouped together sometimes by linguists). So in all, the Philadelphia accent is very different from the Baltimore accent and no vowel map can change this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 10:48 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,264,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
I agree. No region is static. Virginia has undergone a lot of the demographic changes too that Maryland has seen, although to a lesser degree.
Except Maryland/Delaware were border states. Virginia has always been southern. Pennsylvania and Delaware were once border states during the birth of the country, yet came to be considered northeastern. The harsh reality is that most people consider MD/DE to be the northeast.

If you consider borders static and never able to change whatsoever then that is that - but for those of us concerned with cultural realities MD/DE are northeastern states with some southern influence just like Ohio and Illinois. Some government agencies consider these regions to be the northeast (like the Library of Congress and NOAA), others consider them the southeast (like the Census Bureau), and others simply Mid Atlantic.

The "regions can never change, ever" argument is senseless because there is no "official" borders of regions. It all comes down to perception. Many people have different ideas of what constitutes the northeast, with most considering it to be Maine down to Maryland. It doesn't matter how ultraconservative and resistant to other ideas you are, this is the reality.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:12 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,597,007 times
"The harsh reality" is there there is not a general consensus of people from the actual Northeast (NJ, PA, NY, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH) that consider MD and DE to be a part of the Northeast. Also it doesn't help that the census (which holds more weight any of those pointless region maps) considers MD and DE as not in the Northeast

Old 08-28-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
"The harsh reality" is there there is not a general consensus of people from the actual Northeast (NJ, PA, NY, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH) that consider MD and DE to be a part of the Northeast. Also it doesn't help that the census (which holds more weight any of those pointless region maps) considers MD and DE as not in the Northeast
The harsh reality is that there is no official designation. Yet most consider MD/DE to be the northeast. Especially objective and unbiased people from the midwest/west who come to the region and find nothing southern about it. Sorry to burst your bubble. I wish I could say I am a southerner, but that claim comes off as a joke.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:28 PM

3,584 posts, read 2,504,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
The harsh reality is that there is no official designation. Yet most consider MD/DE to be the northeast. Especially objective and unbiased people from the midwest/west who come to the region and find nothing southern about it. Sorry to burst your bubble. I wish I could say I am a southerner, but that claim comes off as a joke.
There's no question that Maryland is a northern influenced southern state. But in the end, still a southern state.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
There's no question that Maryland is a northern influenced southern state. But in the end, still a southern state.
I swear that you are $mk396's alter ego.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:28 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,504,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
I swear that you are $mk396's alter ego.
not sure who that is, I'll have to see if I can find his profile lol

Old 08-29-2014, 12:49 AM

620 posts, read 687,803 times
How is Delaware a border state even though Delaware does not border a southern state?

Old 08-29-2014, 12:52 AM

620 posts, read 687,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Maryland is actually a southern influenced northern state.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:07 AM

1,110 posts, read 909,645 times
If you'd like to pretend that Maryland is a Northeastern state, then go ahead. Just know that you're wrong. MD and De are mid-Atlantic states. The Northeast starts with PA and NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or