U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Southernmost northeastern state
New Jersey 29 23.58%
Pennsylvania 14 11.38%
Delaware 7 5.69%
Maryland 45 36.59%
West Virginia 11 8.94%
Virginia 17 13.82%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2014, 07:57 AM
 
9,408 posts, read 9,569,816 times
Reputation: 5821

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Maryland is actually a southern influenced northern state.
Everything about Maryland is Southern, they hardly have a winter, so skii trips, Hockey, ice skating (almost every town in the NE have ice rinks) snowboarding etc are not common, local foods are more southern than northern (for example crab cakes are fried, most northern dished are boiled/stewed) etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2014, 08:07 AM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,860,743 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Article from 2010 - Maryland trying to secede from the south

Maryland Trying To Secede From The South

Maryland's "southern" status hasn't changed. They are politically and culturally more in-line with the north, but in the end are still a southern state.
This should have summed up the thread. Maryland can't secede from something it's not in.

Look, I understand the dilution of Southern culture that occurred in Maryland. It makes sense. I know that Murlinders want to feel Northeastern. I get it. I feel your pain of being associated with the evil Republican South.

Get over it, you're Southern. You're a diluted Southern, Mid-Atlantic state which is becoming more generically American in that it doesn't fit in any region. Kind of like how many European-Americans long ago lost touch with their European roots and adopted a more Americanized culture, while still maintaining some elements of European culture, even if few. Still makes them European descended, not true Native Americans. Same thing with Maryland. It will always be Southern even when it wants to be Northeastern, similar to how European-Americans will still be of European descent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 08:15 AM
 
Location: One of the 13 original colonies.
10,168 posts, read 6,506,890 times
Reputation: 8034
We all learned in school what states were North, South, East, and West. You can't change that. If you are a Southerner that wants to be a Northerner, move to a Northern state. If you are a Northerner that wants to be a Southerner, move to a Southern state. You cannot make your state Northern or Southern. It doesn't work that way. The ignorance of some here is really astounding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 08:16 AM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,860,743 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
The harsh reality is that there is no official designation. Yet most consider MD/DE to be the northeast. Especially objective and unbiased people from the midwest/west who come to the region and find nothing southern about it. Sorry to burst your bubble. I wish I could say I am a southerner, but that claim comes off as a joke.
I am from the Midwest (but my roots are in the Northeast in Pittsburgh, PA and NYC). So I am the first Midwest (Chicago) born of my family. My experience with Murlind was my ex girlfriend, a native. I didn't think she was very Northeastern. In fact I felt she was more like us Midwesterners than my NE family. Yes, it does have Northern influences, as do many cities in the South like Charlotte, NC. Having influences of another region doesn't change what region it is in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Colorado
1,524 posts, read 2,267,501 times
Reputation: 2168
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Everything about Maryland is Southern, they hardly have a winter, so skii trips, Hockey, ice skating (almost every town in the NE have ice rinks) snowboarding etc are not common, local foods are more southern than northern (for example crab cakes are fried, most northern dished are boiled/stewed) etc.
What Maryland dishes are made in southern style? Crab Cakes? Sauerkraut? What - do you think MArylanders wake up and eat grits and drink sweet tea? If you try to find it you can make that possible, but it is certainly not the norm...Ski trips aren't common? Lol, okay you just confirmed that you never lived here. There are these things called the Appalachians in the state. Maryland hardly has winter? Well neither does New Jersey by that logic. Baltimore has the same weather as Philadelphia and New York City is a whopping 2-4 degrees warmer (Whoa!). Feel free to look up some stats. Do you think that when you live 30 miles from the PA border the weather is a noticeable difference?

Highs and Lows for January:

Atlantic City: 42/38 (Snowfall 16 inches)
Newark: 39/24 (snowfall 29 inches)
Philadelphia: 40/25 (Snowfall 22 inches)
Baltimore: 42/29 (Snowfall 20 inches)
York: 40/21 (Snowfall 25 inches)
Frederick: 41/25 (Snowfall 23 inches)
New York City: 38/27 (Snowfall 26 inches)
Oakland: 34/16 (Snowfall 106 inches but remember this is not real wintertime)
Washington DC:
43/28 (Snowfall 15 inches)

^ These are actually all southern cities since they don't have a "real" winter. Oh, and people don't go skiing or snowboarding in the wintertime, (and there definitely aren't ski resorts either) that's news to me. I wonder why people keep making these kinds of comments when it is clear they have idea what they are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 08:29 AM
 
Location: One of the 13 original colonies.
10,168 posts, read 6,506,890 times
Reputation: 8034
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
What Maryland dishes are made in southern style? Crab Cakes? Sauerkraut? What - do you think MArylanders wake up and eat grits and drink sweet tea? If you try to find it you can make that possible, but it is certainly not the norm...Ski trips aren't common? Lol, okay you just confirmed that you never lived here. There are these things called the Appalachians in the state. Maryland hardly has winter? Well neither does New Jersey by that logic. Baltimore has the same weather as Philadelphia and New York City is a whopping 2-4 degrees warmer (Whoa!). Feel free to look up some stats. Do you think that when you live 30 miles from the PA border the weather is a noticeable difference?

Highs and Lows for January:

Atlantic City: 42/38 (Snowfall 16 inches)
Newark: 39/24 (snowfall 29 inches)
Philadelphia: 40/25 (Snowfall 22 inches)
Baltimore: 42/29 (Snowfall 20 inches)
York: 40/21 (Snowfall 25 inches)
Frederick: 41/25 (Snowfall 23 inches)
New York City: 38/27 (Snowfall 26 inches)
Oakland: 34/16 (Snowfall 106 inches but remember this is not real wintertime)
Washington DC: 43/28 (Snowfall 15 inches)

^ These are actually all southern cities since they don't have a "real" winter. Oh, and people don't go skiing or snowboarding in the wintertime, (and there definitely aren't ski resorts either) that's news to me. I wonder why people keep making these kinds of comments when it is clear they have idea what they are talking about.


I f you want to be a Northerner so bad, pack up and move further North. Then you can pretend that you are actually from there and no one will know the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Colorado
1,524 posts, read 2,267,501 times
Reputation: 2168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I f you want to be a Northerner so bad, pack up and move further North. Then you can pretend that you are actually from there and no one will know the difference.
Good try, but I would prefer to be a southerner given the choice. But unlike some, I am not going to lie to myself about the reality. The facts speak for themselves. There are too many Marylanders who want to be "cool" and claim to be southerners, but it doesn't change the fact that they are northerners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,509,650 times
Reputation: 2928
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Good try, but I would prefer to be a southerner given the choice. But unlike some, I am not going to lie to myself about the reality. The facts speak for themselves. There are too many Marylanders who want to be "cool" and claim to be southerners, but it doesn't change the fact that they are northerners.
You're wrong. No matter how many things you change and how many northerners move to Maryland over the years... it's still a southern state.

You may not identify culturally with the south but Maryland is a non-northern mid-atlantic / southern state. It doesn't matter how hard you try and how many polls you pull up about how people feel it's just not factually accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Colorado
1,524 posts, read 2,267,501 times
Reputation: 2168
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
You're wrong. No matter how many things you change and how many northerners move to Maryland over the years... it's still a southern state.

You may not identify culturally with the south but Maryland is a non-northern mid-atlantic / southern state. It doesn't matter how hard you try and how many polls you pull up about how people feel it's just not factually accurate.
Apparently, loads of people and the facts disagree with you. Unfortunately, no matter how hard you try to convince everyone otherwise, you are wrong, Maryland is a northern state and it doesn't matter how many posts you make in protest!

Here we are in a poll right now and Maryland has the most votes for being the southernmost northern state. Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia have more votes combined than PA/NJ. Odd results for a question that should be so clear cut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 08:56 AM
 
Location: One of the 13 original colonies.
10,168 posts, read 6,506,890 times
Reputation: 8034
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Apparently, loads of people and the facts disagree with you. Unfortunately, no matter how hard you try to convince everyone otherwise, you are wrong, Maryland is a northern state and it doesn't matter how many posts you make in protest!

Here we are in a poll right now and Maryland has the most votes for being the southernmost northern state. Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia have more votes combined than PA/NJ. Odd results for a question that should be so clear cut.


Polls on this site mean nothing. There is so much ignorance here about geography that I feel like my education is out the window when I visit this site. Opinions do not count. Facts matter. And I could not care less where Maryland is located. I am not arguing that point. My point is you can't rely on what you read here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top