Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Southernmost northeastern state
New Jersey 29 22.66%
Pennsylvania 14 10.94%
Delaware 7 5.47%
Maryland 49 38.28%
West Virginia 11 8.59%
Virginia 18 14.06%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 01:43 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,169,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Baltimore receives as much snow as Philadelphia and most dialect maps place Baltimore in the same region as Philadelphia. Baltimore has received immigrants from around the world like other Northeastern cities and there are ethnic neighborhoods in Baltimore (Italian, Irish, Chinese, Puerto Rican, Greek, etc) . The food in Baltimore is more similar to the food from the other Northeastern cities (Crab Cakes, Scrapple, Cheesesteaks, Bagels, etc). Baltimore is basically Philadelphia in Maryland.
Most of that is not true. Philadelphia is very different from Baltimore demographically and the accent is a lot different too. You are either delusional, or hope you are 12 because you keep denying the facts and keep spitting out the same false information. Baltimore lacks the large Chinese, Puerto Rican, Dominican, and Italian populations that is present in the Northeastern cities of Philly, Jersey city, NYC, New Haven, Providence, Boston etc. Honestly Baltimore is more demographically similar to Richmond, VA than it is to the Northeastern cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 01:44 PM

31,887 posts, read 34,388,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Most of that is not true. Philadelphia is very different from Baltimore demographically and the accent is a lot different too. You are either delusional, or hope you are 12 because you keep denying the facts and keep spitting out the same false information. Baltimore lacks the large Chinese, Puerto Rican, Dominican, and Italian populations that is present in the Northeastern cities of Philly, Jersey city, NYC, New Haven, Providence, Boston etc. Honestly Baltimore is more demographically similar to Richmond, VA than it is to the Northeastern cities
Didn't Baltimore derive from a long Quaker tradition, though? It was known as the first Quaker city before Philadelphia.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:53 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,539,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
How is the Baltimore area a northern influenced? Technically, the Baltimore area is one of the most southern areas in the south since we don't have the influx of people from all over like the DC area and other southern cities have.
I am going to have to read over some things pertaining to the area's history...no doubt the Baltimore area seems like the Delaware Valley with some Chesapeake Bay culture thrown in. Whereas DC just comes off different than Baltimore. I'm going to check into it so that I can give a thorough reply but my premise is that it's more similar to Philadelphia (even though there are plenty of differences in things like the accent and Baltimore's lack of amenities compared to Philadelphia).

Last edited by Chevalier de Saint-George; 08-29-2014 at 02:21 PM..

Old 08-29-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I am going to have to read over some things pertaining to the areas history...no doubt the Baltimore area seems like the Delaware Valley with some Chesapeake Bay culture thrown in. Whereas DC just comes off different than Baltimore. I'm going to check into it so that I can give a thorough reply but my premise is that it's more similar to Philadelphia (even though there are plenty of differences in things like the accent and Baltimore's lack of amenities compared to Philadelphia).
Baltimore and Philadelphia are tighter than Virginia and North Carolina (and trust me, those two states are tight). If I recall correctly, Baltimore was supposed to be Philadelphia. Then something happened and Philadelphia became Philadelphia instead of Baltimore becoming Philadelphia, which in turn became Baltimore.

Baltimore has its hooks into Philadelphia the way a baby mama has her hooks into a NBA basketball player. Not. Going. Anywhere.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:02 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,187,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I would say about 20 inches BUT cold enough for a snow pack to form regularly (as in snow is still on the ground for the next storm) so the line is very near Philly a bit to the South.
Thanks for answering. I'm not certain that Philly and NYC meet your snow pack requirement. Certainly the southern half of New Jersey doesn't.

Regardless, this measure of "northeasternness" seems a bit arbitrary to me. Is this based on some criteria you can offer a citation for, or is this a personal litmus test?

Old 08-29-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
This is the biggest crock of hogwash ever.

Baltimore has all of the ethnic flavor of Philadelphia. West Baltimore is a carbon copy of Northeast Philly. There are Irish bars with Irish flags with people sporting Ireland tatoos everywhere. And the Italian influence runs through and through. That's why so many of Baltimore's local cultural staples--like Baltimore "Wooder" Ice and Baltimore cheesesteaks--are associated with Baltimore Italians.

East Baltimore kinda has a feel like South Philly if you ask me. Southeast Baltimore feels like Roxborough.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:41 PM

13,942 posts, read 14,823,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Thanks for answering. I'm not certain that Philly and NYC meet your snow pack requirement. Certainly the southern half of New Jersey doesn't.

Regardless, this measure of "northeasternness" seems a bit arbitrary to me. Is this based on some criteria you can offer a citation for, or is this a personal litmus test?
Well it's kind of a Personal test, and NYC or Philly city may not match the requirements but the Suburbs do (due to lack of urban heat Island).
As for Southern NJ it's impossible to culturally sepreate it from NNJ/Philadelphia so it sticks to the Northeast
I would also say it's not necessary every year, just most years there is a snowpack (DC/MD haven't had one since 2009/2010 winter I believe)

Old 08-29-2014, 03:05 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,169,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This is the biggest crock of hogwash ever.

Baltimore has all of the ethnic flavor of Philadelphia. West Baltimore is a carbon copy of Northeast Philly. There are Irish bars with Irish flags with people sporting Ireland tatoos everywhere. And the Italian influence runs through and through. That's why so many of Baltimore's local cultural staples--like Baltimore "Wooder" Ice and Baltimore cheesesteaks--are associated with Baltimore Italians.

East Baltimore kinda has a feel like South Philly if you ask me. Southeast Baltimore feels like Roxborough.
Good job of displaying Northeastern sarcasm at it's finest lol. You are originally from Philly and you know that isn't true.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:24 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,844,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Baltimore and Philadelphia are tighter than Virginia and North Carolina (and trust me, those two states are tight). If I recall correctly, Baltimore was supposed to be Philadelphia. Then something happened and Philadelphia became Philadelphia instead of Baltimore becoming Philadelphia, which in turn became Baltimore.

Baltimore has its hooks into Philadelphia the way a baby mama has her hooks into a NBA basketball player. Not. Going. Anywhere.
Lol! Very funny. Untrue, but very funny.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:46 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,187,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Well it's kind of a Personal test, and NYC or Philly city may not match the requirements but the Suburbs do (due to lack of urban heat Island).
As for Southern NJ it's impossible to culturally sepreate it from NNJ/Philadelphia so it sticks to the Northeast
I would also say it's not necessary every year, just most years there is a snowpack (DC/MD haven't had one since 2009/2010 winter I believe)
I'm not sure I follow all your logic, but you answered my question. My only comment is that DC and Balto may have had snowpack this past winter. It was pretty brutal down this way in Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.