U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:22 PM

45,136 posts, read 36,318,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Try New Orleans, Anchorage, Key West or Honolulu
Or Portland, or San Antonio, or Minneapolis, or Philadelphia, or Savannah...the list is virtually endless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 07:54 PM

308 posts, read 403,361 times
Wow there's no way I could date a girl with a southern accent.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:57 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,152,325 times
Although I don't like the southern accent in everyday life, I do sometimes think it's very sexy on a man (if the man is sexy). A masculine man in his pickup truck with a southern accent.........mmHHHmmmm!!!

Old 08-27-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post
Wow there's no way I could date a girl with a southern accent.
Well, I don't think any women with southern accents are crying themselves to sleep tonight because of that.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Although I don't like the southern accent in everyday life, I do sometimes think it's very sexy on a man (if the man is sexy). A masculine man in his pickup truck with a southern accent.........mmHHHmmmm!!!

OMG my husband's southern drawl makes me melt. And to top it off, he looks like the Marlboro Man (minus the cigarette) and drives a pickup truck. Yum!

I really like Texas men in general! And one specifically.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OMG my husband's southern drawl makes me melt. And to top it off, he looks like the Marlboro Man (minus the cigarette) and drives a pickup truck. Yum!

I really like Texas men in general! And one specifically.
Admittedly, yes, I've seen some extremely attractive Texas men.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Admittedly, yes, I've seen some extremely attractive Texas men.
The first time I laid eyes on my husband (future husband - I just didn't know it yet) I thought "DAY-um! I need more of this!"

The next morning, I told my mom I had met the man I was going to marry!

Old 08-27-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The first time I laid eyes on my husband (future husband - I just didn't know it yet) I thought "DAY-um! I need more of this!"

The next morning, I told my mom I had met the man I was going to marry!
Lol....must be nice. I don't think I'll ever find someone I'm interested in, to be honest, now that I'm 30. Oh well...that's life.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Lol....must be nice. I don't think I'll ever find someone I'm interested in, to be honest, now that I'm 30. Oh well...that's life.
Well, I was 42 so never say never!

We met online. Hey, that stuff works sometimes. We've been together nine years now and are really good together. My daughter met her husband online too - she lived in Texas and he lived in IOWA and they still got together, he found a job and moved here, and a year later they were married and now they have four kids!

Old 08-28-2014, 01:14 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,757,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The more I think about it, the more homogeneous this country becomes. Regions are losing their heritage. Apart from, maybe, San Francisco, NYC, and DC, the country is pretty much the same in culturally and economically.
Yes and no. Yes, in that the more corporate-controlled our economy becomes, and the more local businesses fall prey to big-chain businesses, the more it zaps much of the local flavor. This is especially true in the bigger cities. Then there's the internet, which allows more people to "virtually" experience other regional cultures and be influenced by them. Then there's the fact that we live in an era of job-relocation. It's not uncommon for people to have no other choice but to move somewhere far away from where they grew up in order to maintain a liveable income. Companies are constantly moving their headquarters from city to city, or opening up new branches all over the map. This has heavily affected my family. I have 3 siblings. We all grew up under the same roof, but now we all live in different regions. I'm in Washington state, my next youngest brother is in San Francisco, my youngest brother is in Atlanta, and my sister is in NYC. Our parents live in San Antonio. This is a common pattern for many American families in these times. So, yes. This has had a homogenizing effect upon our regional cultures. How could it not?

No, in that many regions do still have many things about them that are unique. You just have to dig a little deeper to find them. As I said earlier, many of the bigger cities have all kind of developed a similar identity... but if you travel into the more rural parts of any given region you will likely still be able to experience the traits that make each region unique. I know that is definitely the case in the Pacific Northwest. Many small towns still have the same vibe that they have always had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.