U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 04:21 PM

6,932 posts, read 8,089,833 times

Advertisements

The more I think about it, the more homogeneous this country becomes. Regions are losing their heritage. Apart from, maybe, San Francisco, NYC, and DC, the country is pretty much the same in culturally and economically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 04:45 PM

44,780 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Ah got wun thang to say about they-ut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBnaw1-1fTg

Old 08-27-2014, 04:51 PM

6,932 posts, read 8,089,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ah got wun thang to say about they-ut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBnaw1-1fTg
That accent is shrinking.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:53 PM

2,959 posts, read 3,819,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
But the size of their cabooses aren't! Ponder that one.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:01 PM

867 posts, read 1,088,298 times
Quote:
I doubt it. Sounds like Georgia and Tennessee or something.

Anyone know where those people are from?

Old 08-27-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
I doubt it. Sounds like Georgia and Tennessee or something.

Anyone know where those people are from?

Could be anywhere from North Carolina to Texas. All points in between.

Personally I love that southern accent. But accents will change over time. It's inevitable.

I used to be a corporate trainer. I traveled all over the US speaking and leading seminars and classes. I really enjoyed it but I have to admit that I always got an extra kick out of speaking in the northeast and northwest. Nearly always in smaller groups, when I asked for group interaction or input, someone would pipe up and say, "Please keep talking - we love your accent!"

And I'd say, "Well, bless yore heart, but...enough about ME! Y'all tell me about all y'all!"

It was a hoot.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:35 PM

4,474 posts, read 7,291,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
But the size of their cabooses aren't! Ponder that one.
Makes sense. The $*** they say had to go somewhere!

Old 08-27-2014, 06:07 PM

867 posts, read 1,088,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Could be anywhere from North Carolina to Texas. All points in between.

Personally I love that southern accent. But accents will change over time. It's inevitable.

I used to be a corporate trainer. I traveled all over the US speaking and leading seminars and classes. I really enjoyed it but I have to admit that I always got an extra kick out of speaking in the northeast and northwest. Nearly always in smaller groups, when I asked for group interaction or input, someone would pipe up and say, "Please keep talking - we love your accent!"

And I'd say, "Well, bless yore heart, but...enough about ME! Y'all tell me about all y'all!"

It was a hoot.
So do you over exaggerate your "southern" accent... Its a Texas accent right? Would you say you sound like the people in the vid? There are some variances in how they talk...The short young blonde sounds VERY "southern"...the redhead sounds country...the tall blonde's accent doesn't sound as strong as the rest but still. The short blonde chick's voice is kinda irritating except when she says "cut off the liiights". I actually kinda get a kick out of the redhead/brunettes accent @1:26 "you get the beer Ill get the ammo" ...not to bad...you think she'd date a Black guy from Norfolk city? LMAO.

I don't think most of NC talks like that but in any event I don't think those accents will change but so much.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
So do you over exaggerate your "southern" accent... Its a Texas accent right? Would you say you sound like the people in the vid? There are some variances in how they talk...The short young blonde sounds VERY "southern"...the redhead sounds country...the tall blonde's accent doesn't sound as strong as the rest but still. The short blonde chick's voice is kinda irritating except when she says "cut off the liiights". I actually kinda get a kick out of the redhead/brunettes accent @1:26 "you get the beer Ill get the ammo" ...not to bad...you think she'd date a Black guy from Norfolk city? LMAO.

I don't think most of NC talks like that but in any event I don't think those accents will change but so much.
No, I don't over exaggerate my southern accent - and believe me, after spending most of my life in Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, and now Texas - I've got quite a southern accent. Funny thing is - I lived in Georgia for ten years and my Georgia friends think I have a Texas accent, and my Texas friends think I have a Georgia accent. All I know is that I have a definite SOUTHERN accent - and I don't mind it a bit, bless my heart.

I don't know if I sound like those women on the video (I didn't pick up on a Texas accent in any of them) but I can promise you that I've used and heard every one of those phrases!

You're right though - there are four distinctly different southern accents on that video. As for the cute redhead that says, "You get the beer, I'll get the ammo" maybe she WOULD date a black guy from Norfolk - maybe you should track her down and ask her out!

If those cute accents are yore thang, you might want to check out some women in these states - I'd say your chances of dating one or more of them might be pretty good:

Top 20 States For Interracial Dating (INFOGRAPHIC)

Ten of the top twenty states sporting the most interracial couples are in the South. Texas is #2, and Georgia is #5. North Carolina is #6. I'd bet most of those women have some pretty strong southern accents. Good luck finding that redhead!

Old 08-27-2014, 07:14 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,440,738 times
Quote:
The more I think about it, the more homogeneous this country becomes. Regions are losing their heritage. Apart from, maybe, San Francisco, NYC, and DC, the country is pretty much the same in culturally and economically.
Try New Orleans, Anchorage, Key West or Honolulu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.