U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 11:37 PM

44,742 posts, read 36,145,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I wonder how many of those are actual chains... Your search contained two words "chain" + "restaurants". The search algorithm will search for either of those terms and return results... You're seeing a list of all restaurants, which are definitely not all going to be chains.

I recognize a few on the list as chains... The rest I've never heard of and are probably local joints.
Every restaurant on the first few pages is a chain. I didn't bother reading after that. The myth had been busted at that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 01:04 AM

6,519 posts, read 7,461,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Also, I'm gonna throw out there that Steak n' Shake needs to be added for the "North." It's Midwestern, but they're everywhere out here. Same for Culver's. White Castle is also apparently a Midwestern and Northeastern thing only.

Culvers is such a good burger. Just a few years ago they were only in the upper Midwest. If you were not in Wisconsin, Michigan or Minnesota you would be hard pressed to find them. They are expanding fast, now they are throughout the Midwest, some western states and spreading into the upper south. There is one in Kentucky I know of, so Im waiting for them to move just one more state to the south. Culvers is good enough that they may become a national chain one day. They are about as good as five guys, but Ill have to give the fries to five guys. Culvers has a much better menu however.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:01 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,501,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Every restaurant on the first few pages is a chain. I didn't bother reading after that. The myth had been busted at that point.
Uhm... no.

You get that multiple locations doesn't mean "Chain Restaurant" right?

Result 12: Uncle Julio's has one location.
Result 17: Francesca’s On Taylor

There's 100 pages and who knows... Frankly I don't really care in the case of Chicago because that is a touristy area which is going to bring in chain restaurants regardless.

As far as the restaurants with multiple locations on the first few pages... I don't know which ones are chains and which ones aren't. Chains have to meet quite a few pieces of criteria to considered "chains"

Quote:
Chain stores are retail outlets that share a brand and central management, and usually have standardized business methods and practices. Before considered a chain, stores must meet a litmus test; it must have more than 10 units in 2 or more distinct geographies under the same brand and have a central headquarters, otherwise it offers franchise contracts or is publicly traded.

For me to research each one of the ones that I'm unfamiliar with would be an insane waste of time. Let's see how many chains I can find in my local city... I'll get back to you on that one.

Last edited by wolf39us; 08-30-2014 at 05:16 AM..

Old 08-30-2014, 05:27 AM

Yelp | Search Businesses In Seymour, CT

So here's the town that I grew up in. There are very few chains in this mix in comparison... I saw 3 in the first 20 results. This would be my personal example of a suburban area in New England. 95% of the food I ate growing up was from a local joint or from the Super Market. Yes I went to McDonald's when I was very young a handful of times when my mother didn't know what to do with me. Other than that though, major chain restaurants were pretty well beneath us. I will eat at a chain restaurant if there's nothing else to go to... and unfortunately living in Florida has meant that that occurs quite often.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:31 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,959,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

It's all relative.

And I have a sneaky suspicion that some people (and I'm not naming names!) eat at chain restaurants more often than they're admitting. I mean, when I travel to other regions of the US, the parking lots and drive throughs sure are full at all those chain restaurants...
That doesn't tell you that much, you'd have to look at the fraction of fraction of restaurants that are chains.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:46 AM

3,329 posts, read 3,995,396 times
Quote:
Uhm... no.

Frankly I don't really care in the case of Chicago because that is a touristy area which is going to bring in chain restaurants regardless.
Uh, what does this even mean? Are you saying the whole city of Chicago is a touristy area or are you referring to downtown Chicago, which is the area where tourists visit? How is downtown Chicago less touristy than New York's Times Square? Both downtown Chicago and Times Square ( i.e. the tourist areas) have lots of fast food restaurants, some chains many local places. But as a resident living in the city in an actual neighborhood, there is more local food than chains. This is not the case in the south. The south is the opposite.

For someone to make this kind of comment, they must have never lived there or been in the city outside of being a tourist. Again, most chain restaurants there for the people who actually live there are either downtown in the touristy areas, in malls or in the suburbs.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Uh, what does this even mean? Are you saying the whole city of Chicago is a touristy area or are you referring to downtown Chicago, which is the area where tourists visit? How is downtown Chicago less touristy than New York's Times Square? Both downtown Chicago and Times Square ( i.e. the tourist areas) have lots of fast food restaurants, some chains many local places. But as a resident living in the city in an actual neighborhood, there is more local food than chains. This is not the case in the south. The south is the opposite.

For someone to make this kind of comment, they must have never lived there or been in the city outside of being a tourist. Again, most chain restaurants there for the people who actually live there are either downtown in the touristy areas, in malls or in the suburbs.
hmm? No I never made this comment. You may have misread what I was saying... He pointed to restaurants in downtown Chicago. "This" is what that was referring to. Touristy areas bring in chains, but I never said they were in the majority. I agree there are more local joints by far.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:20 AM

3,329 posts, read 3,995,396 times
Quote:
hmm? No I never made this comment. You may have misread what I was saying... He pointed to restaurants in downtown Chicago. "This" is what that was referring to. Touristy areas bring in chains, but I never said they were in the majority. I agree there are more local joints by far.
Were you quoting Kathyrn or someone else and forgot to add the quotes? There were no quotes that's why I though you made the comments.

It didn't sound like the tourist areas in Chicago alone was being referring to with the "this." Then I am agreeing with you here. The touristy areas bring in chains. But the dining out experience for the locals is completely different.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Were you quoting Kathyrn or someone else and forgot to add the quotes? There were no quotes that's why I though you made the comments.

It didn't sound like the tourist areas in Chicago alone was being referring to with the "this." Then I am agreeing with you here. The touristy areas bring in chains. But the dining out experience for the locals is completely different.
Sorry I wasn't so clear. It's an unfortunate reality regarding touristy areas but that's fine because I typically don't hang in the tourist areas except for NYC once every couple of months.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:52 AM

44,742 posts, read 36,145,910 times
OK, OK, I get it. If there are any chain restaurants in the northeast, then they're only in tourist areas and only people who don't live there eat there.

Gotcha.

And I'll cut you all a really great deal on some ocean front property in Arizona!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or