U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2014, 06:57 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,501,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK, OK, I get it. If there are any chain restaurants in the northeast, then they're only in tourist areas and only people who don't live there eat there.

Gotcha.

And I'll cut you all a really great deal on some ocean front property in Arizona!
I didn't say that and you are obviously blowing it out of proportion to make it seem ridiculous. There are significantly fewer chains in non-tourist areas in the north than there are in tourist areas. There are more local chains in the north than there are in the south and more chains in the south than there are in the north.

Chains exist almost everywhere. My family and most northeasterners that I know of typically avoid these places, we simply have very little reason to bother with them. There are of course places to eat that have multiple locations that are still not chains either. You can't compare random Italian restaurant with 5 or 6 locations with Olive Garden for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 07:01 AM

44,694 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post

Quote:
Uhm... no.

Uhm...yes.

Quote:
You get that multiple locations doesn't mean "Chain Restaurant" right?
What's your definition of "chain restaurant?" Mine is:
Quote:
Chain stores are retail outlets that share a brand and central management, and usually have standardized business methods and practices. Before considered a chain, stores must meet a litmus test; it must have more than 10 units in 2 or more distinct geographies under the same brand and have a central headquarters, otherwise it offers franchise contracts or is publicly traded.
Chain store - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But for the sake of this discussion, I would bet that most people are including independently owned franchise restaurants in the mix as well.

Quote:
Result 12: Uncle Julio's has one location.
Uncle Julio's is a chain.
https://www.unclejulios.com/locations/

Quote:
Result 17: Francesca’s On Taylor
Francesca's is a chain.
http://www.miafrancesca.com/static.asp?path=3115

Clearly you are not always aware of what's a chain restaurant and what's not. Just think...you've probably eaten at chain restaurants in the past and NOT EVEN KNOWN IT. OH THE HORROR!

Have a great weekend. Just be careful where you eat.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:14 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,501,171 times
Quote:
Uhm...yes.

But for the sake of this discussion, I would bet that most people are including independently owned franchise restaurants in the mix as well.

Francesca's is a chain.

Clearly you are not always aware of what's a chain restaurant and what's not. Just think...you've probably eaten at chain restaurants in the past and NOT EVEN KNOWN IT. OH THE HORROR!

I'm not from Chicago my friend, I pointed to you where I'm from. Chicago is a tourist area where chains are going to be present. Picking out a major downtown district and saying "look at all the chains!" is not going to represent the vast majority of where the LOCALS eat and it certainly won't represent the eating habits of northerners in general.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:21 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,937,844 times
Bruegger's Bagels is a regional chain here that the south won't get. Not really a restaurant though. Bertucci's and Papa Gino's Pizza? Legal Sea Foods?

Chains that started in New England - Business news - Boston.com

Subway, Friendly's and of course Dunkin Donuts started in New England.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:22 AM

623 posts, read 1,024,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Bruegger's Bagels is a regional chain here that the south won't get. Not really a restaurant though. Bertucci's and Papa Gino's Pizza? Legal Sea Foods?

We have Bruegger's in Charlotte.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:27 AM

3,329 posts, read 3,993,853 times
Potbelly's is a chain that is here in Texas that is loved and frequented by Chicagoans, but...IT STARTED IN CHICAGO as a one store shop.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:37 AM

3,329 posts, read 3,993,853 times
Quote:
Uhm...yes.

Francesca's is a chain.

Francesca's started off as a local restaurant in Chicago then expanded.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I'm not from Chicago my friend, I pointed to you where I'm from. Chicago is a tourist area where chains are going to be present. Picking out a major downtown district and saying "look at all the chains!" is not going to represent the vast majority of where the LOCALS eat and it certainly won't represent the eating habits of northerners in general.
LOL I didn't "pick a tourist area." The search encompassed all of Chicago.

But I'm not from Chicago either. I'm from New Orleans - one of the greatest foodie cities in the world, filled with locally owned eateries.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

Hate to break it to you, but the South's got Bruegger's Bagels.

https://www.brueggers.com/locations

And Bertucci's:
Bertucci's Italian Restaurant | Brick Oven Pizza | Bertuccis.com

And Legal Sea Foods:
Legal Sea Foods - The Standard for Quality and Freshness in the Restaurant Business.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:55 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,937,844 times
Well, ok, you said that we had chains the south didn't. C'mon someone find one! I grew up in downstate NY, never saw Bruegger's Bagels until moving up here. They're in upstate in a few spots, I thought they were a New England / eastern upstate NY. Perhaps they skipped over the NYC area because they couldn't compete with local delis and bagels?

Bruegger's Bagels started near Albany, but they're now based in Burlington, Vermont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or