U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2014, 09:21 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,789,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
They have the greatest tater tots ever!
They are the same ones you get at the store. Frozen and nasty. I worked there for 2.5 years in high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 09:39 AM

7,318 posts, read 15,371,647 times
While they reviews can be annoying and biased, things like Yelp and Urbanspoon are great for traveling - instead of having to rely on a chain as a known quantity for mediocre food, I can always find local smaller places (and food trucks or food carts, a huge thing out here in the west) that use fresh ingredients and serve great food.

The only time I go to a chain now is when I am with my very elderly mother-in-law, who actually likes all that packaged reheated salt and sugar at a place like Olive Garden or Red Lobster.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:21 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,407,845 times
I got a cherry limeade slush today because of this thread. Good stuff!

Old 09-01-2014, 07:21 PM

45,060 posts, read 36,285,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I got a cherry limeade slush today because of this thread. Good stuff!
Excellent! Glad to be of service.

I ate at La Madeleine's today. I guess I have no class whatsoever, in spite of eating a pear and prosciutto salad made with fresh greens that definitely weren't iceberg lettuce.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:45 PM

15,534 posts, read 17,769,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post

It's hipsterish to hate on fast food.
Most people who like interesting food that reflects the community and supports their neighbors eat at locally owned restaurants and dislike fast food.

I guess that is the definition of a hipster, good taste and community support.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:13 AM

45,060 posts, read 36,285,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Most people who like interesting food that reflects the community and supports their neighbors eat at locally owned restaurants and dislike fast food.

I guess that is the definition of a hipster, good taste and community support.
That's not MY definition of a hipster but if you like it, you can have it.

You know, it's actually quite possible to like "interesting food that reflects the community and supports their neighbors" as well as cherry limeades from Sonic or White Castle burgers occasionally. One doesn't necessarily cancel out the other one.

And to top it off, some people are self confident and comfortable enough with themselves and their choices that they don't care whether others look down on them for occasionally enjoying a meal from (gasp) THE DREADED CHAIN RESTAURANT.

OMG I just realized that not only did I eat at La Madeleine today, I actually had an ice cream cone from Braums this weekend! Now WHY didn't I spend $30 on ingredients, ice and rock salt, and churn out my own - it would have been SO much more interesting to do so...Or maybe if I looked hard enough, I could find some really cool hipster restaurant that serves homemade ice cream...there might be one in Dallas, and it's only an hour and a half down the road...

Old 09-02-2014, 12:26 AM

5,414 posts, read 7,717,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What is Sonic's? There are so many chains named on this thread I've never heard of!
Sonic = soft drink paradise and the best chili cheese coney around.

Braums = great ice cream and a great burger joint (although don't expect to get your order right if you go through the drive thru).

Both are Oklahoma based companies. Sonic is based in OKC. Braums is based in Tuttle.

When you come down this way, ENJOY!

Old 09-02-2014, 12:34 AM

596 posts, read 652,283 times
I go to fast food places out of convenience, or if there is no other choice. If you actually like and prefer fast food, my guess is you've never eaten quality food, or have lived around chain restaurants your whole life. Am I a hipster for that? No, you're are just an idiot.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:53 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,407,845 times
Hipster identified.

It is actually possible to like fast food AND love quality food from local eateries. BOOM. YOUR MIND IS BLOWN!

Old 09-02-2014, 07:17 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,507,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
I go to fast food places out of convenience, or if there is no other choice. If you actually like and prefer fast food, my guess is you've never eaten quality food, or have lived around chain restaurants your whole life. Am I a hipster for that? No, you're are just an idiot.
And if you grew up in the south, this would almost certainly be the case :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or