U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 01:16 PM

45,877 posts, read 36,962,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Now you're learning the rules, Kathryn! If it ain't southern it's all right.
Apparently so.

I mean, I like Jucy's Hamburgers more than I like Sonic (of course) - Jucy's is a local group of restaurants that's every bit as "special" as Culvers or any other locally owned bunch of places, but when you get right down to it, it's still a hamburger with french fries, or onion rings (even though they're fabulous tasting!) and shakes, ice cream, whatever - it's still basically crap food in the total scheme of things, but apparently Southern crap food is more crappy than crap food from other regions - apparently because of...well, who knows...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
No kidding - this is about taste and ingredients. Sonic SUCKS. Culver's is tasty. I'm on the side of never/almost never hitting up chains, but if I do, In N Out and Culver's are 2 of the rare guilty pleasures. Especially if you like ice cream - custard style ice cream is way better than "ice milk" or whatever other fast food places are selling, and it's also better for you. Not that it matters, no one should eat this stuff more than once or twice a month, so who cares if something has 60 more calories, LOL?

Unless, like a lot of people on here, it's a weekly staple, I guess then you want to be careful and "count calories," if you can count that high.
No one is saying that Sonic is a healthy, or even fabulous place to eat on a regular basis. What people are saying is that they love the tater tots, or the diet cherry limeade, or (fill in the blank) - is it possible for you to see the difference? You like In N Out Burgers - that's great, but that doesn't mean that they're "better" or "better for you" than, say, Jucy's Hamburgers or Five Guys or whatever. It just means you personally like them better. I personally prefer Braum's ice cream over Sonic ice cream (or whatever it is) - but then personally I prefer Sonic's burgers, bad as they may be, over White Castle. So what? It's all junk when you get down to it.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:28 PM

LOL I think it's pitiful, and yet sort of funny, that now people are comparing CHAINS and groups of restaurants from other regions (now that it's clear that every region is chock full of chains) with those in the South as if these fast food restaurants in other areas are somehow a more valid choice than fast food restaurants in the South.

Yeah...keep telling yourselves that.

By the way, check out this list of Sonics coming soon - wow, they're everywhere. SOMEONE'S eating Sonic and it's not just southerners! Sonic has over 3500 locations from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Yeah, it's crap - but apparently lots and lots of people across the nation and in all regions are eating it.
Coming Soon | Sonic, America's Drive-In

Old 09-02-2014, 01:33 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,165,696 times
I've seen Sonics all over, so it's not just below the Mason-Dixon Line. Chains are chains. There are good and bad ones everywhere. Not sure why northerners need to continue trying to prove how much better their chains are and how anybody that likes anything else just hasn't tasted good food yet.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:56 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,442,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL I think it's pitiful, and yet sort of funny, that now people are comparing CHAINS and groups of restaurants from other regions (now that it's clear that every region is chock full of chains) with those in the South as if these fast food restaurants in other areas are somehow a more valid choice than fast food restaurants in the South.
It took you this long to understand the OP? That is exactly what the thread was supposed to be about - "southern chains are better than elsewhere." At least read the OP and the first few responses in order to get your bearings before diving in next time, 'kay?

Quote:
No one is saying that Sonic is a healthy, or even fabulous place to eat on a regular basis. What people are saying is that they love the tater tots, or the diet cherry limeade, or (fill in the blank) - is it possible for you to see the difference? You like In N Out Burgers - that's great, but that doesn't mean that they're "better" or "better for you" than, say, Jucy's Hamburgers or Five Guys or whatever. It just means you personally like them better. I personally prefer Braum's ice cream over Sonic ice cream (or whatever it is) - but then personally I prefer Sonic's burgers, bad as they may be, over White Castle. So what? It's all junk when you get down to it.
YOU brought in calorie/nutrition comparisons. You were the first and only one to do that.

There is a big difference between the frozen tots you can get at any market and an In N Out burger. If you can't tell the difference...well, actually, it appears you can't! Sorry

And obviously, White Castle is gross.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I've seen Sonics all over, so it's not just below the Mason-Dixon Line. Chains are chains. There are good and bad ones everywhere. Not sure why northerners need to continue trying to prove how much better their chains are and how anybody that likes anything else just hasn't tasted good food yet.
It's a great mystery to me. But what could we possibly know - we're Southerners. We can't possibly have good taste or ever choose a healthy alternative for a meal. And we certainly don't know how to cook so how could we have any locally owned and operated restaurants?

Put some south in your mouth!

Old 09-02-2014, 02:10 PM

3,584 posts, read 2,537,058 times
Quote:
It's a great mystery to me. But what could we possibly know - we're Southerners. We can't possibly have good taste or ever choose a healthy alternative for a meal. And we certainly don't know how to cook so how could we have any locally owned and operated restaurants?

Put some south in your mouth!
Oh come on now... no one said that you didn't have any at all

Old 09-02-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post

Quote:
It took you this long to understand the OP? That is exactly what the thread was supposed to be about - "southern chains are better than elsewhere." At least read the OP and the first few responses in order to get your bearings before diving in next time, 'kay?
This thread has basically consisted of people from outside the South talking about how many chains there are in the South vs other regions, and then when it has been pointed out to them that there are chains EVERYWHERE (including some of their restaurants that they considered to be exclusive to their area - NOT), they began spouting off about how...well, THEY don't eat at chains, and it's surely mostly just TOURISTS who eat at chains that are in their areas, but since they do have SOME chains, then THEIR chains are BETTER...better quality food, etc. Don't act like that isn't how the thread has gone - I've been reading it, and responding, since the first page.

Quote:
YOU brought in calorie/nutrition comparisons. You were the first and only one to do that.
Yep, I sure did - to show that a hamburger and fries is basically a crap meal, regardless of which chain or restaurant it's from. This was in direct response to someone who was saying basically, "But OUR chain is better because it uses fresh ingredients!" Guess what - fresh ingredients can be crap too if they're deep fried or pumped full of cholesterol or sodium.

Quote:
There is a big difference between the frozen tots you can get at any market and an In N Out burger. If you can't tell the difference...well, actually, it appears you can't! Sorry
Coupla things:

1. I didn't say I couldn't tell the difference. I don't CARE about the difference. Sometimes I'm just in the mood for some tater tots and a diet cherry limeade from Sonic.

And sometimes I'm in the mood for filet mignon with bearnaise sauce and a Grey Goose martini. Can't get that at a Sonic OR an In N Out Burger.

2. I've never actually eaten at In N Out and have no desire to, because actually one thing I hardly EVER want is a hamburger. When I do - I'll get one at a locally owned place called Jucy's.

Quote:
And obviously, White Castle is gross.
Well, we don't have them anywhere near where I live, thank goodness.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Oh come on now... no one said that you didn't have any at all
Oh I know - I was just being facetious.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:21 PM

3,584 posts, read 2,537,058 times
Who said the chains were better up north? If we are talking chains of the same name then I would disagree. There's arguments to be made of chains from different businesses though.

Can't compare a BK to a Five Guys for instance. IHOP and Waffle House are both breakfast chains and tbh I'm not a fan of IHOP despite me being a northerner. I hate to say it, but as nasty and unclean as Waffle House is... it's pretty damn tasty lol. I'm pretty sincere about the "unclean" bit... I've been to about 6 so far and have noticed some pretty unclean stuff going on. That's not to say that every location is dirty though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or