U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-02-2014, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times
Reputation: 63181

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Who said the chains were better up north? If we are talking chains of the same name then I would disagree. There's arguments to be made of chains from different businesses though.

Can't compare a BK to a Five Guys for instance. IHOP and Waffle House are both breakfast chains and tbh I'm not a fan of IHOP despite me being a northerner. I hate to say it, but as nasty and unclean as Waffle House is... it's pretty damn tasty lol. I'm pretty sincere about the "unclean" bit... I've been to about 6 so far and have noticed some pretty unclean stuff going on. That's not to say that every location is dirty though
Oh there's been the implication off and on throughout the thread - I'm not going to go all the way back through but several posters have said stuff like, "We have great local restaurants like (fill in the blank) and we eat there instead of chains" and then I'd google the locations and it would be a CHAIN restaurant with locations all over the place - including in the South.

But of course you can't compare a BK to a Five Guys - they're not the same animal, any more than a White Castle burger is the same as a Jucy's burger. There's no comparison.

My gripe is with people who act like there's not as much "junk" in other regions, but then when it's pointed out to them that the junk is most certainly "up there" en masse, they say, "Oh, but I never eat there and neither do the locals - it's just for tourists." Yeah, right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-02-2014, 02:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times
Reputation: 14804
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My gripe is with people who act like there's not as much "junk" in other regions, but then when it's pointed out to them that the junk is most certainly "up there" en masse, they say, "Oh, but I never eat there and neither do the locals - it's just for tourists." Yeah, right.
Again, it may be the chains are a small proportion of the restaurants in one region. Just because they're here doesn't mean most restaurants are chains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2014, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times
Reputation: 63181
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Again, it may be the chains are a small proportion of the restaurants in one region. Just because they're here doesn't mean most restaurants are chains.
Yeah of course, which is why I never said or implied that.

But maybe a higher percentage of restaurants in the south are chains - and maybe not. I have yet to see any evidence for either side of that argument, outside of personal anecdotes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2014, 02:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times
Reputation: 14804
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yeah of course, which is why I never said or implied that.

But maybe a higher percentage of restaurants in the south are chains - and maybe not. I have yet to see any evidence for either side of that argument, outside of personal anecdotes.
But I don't think anyone was arguing that there aren't people who visit chains in the north, just the bolded. Well, maybe one or two, but otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2014, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times
Reputation: 63181
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But I don't think anyone was arguing that there aren't people who visit chains in the north, just the bolded. Well, maybe one or two, but otherwise.
Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but I wasn't arguing with EVERYONE on the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2014, 03:30 PM
 
Location: The Northeast - hoping one day the Northwest!
1,107 posts, read 1,128,407 times
Reputation: 1003
I have lived in MA, CT and FL. Most of my adult life has been in Florida, born and raised in MA and left there in my early 20's.

Yes, I notice in the south there is a lot more variety of chains. Most fast food as well as sit down dining. There are some down south that I miss now that I am back up north, and when I was down in Florida there was sometimes I missed places here.

Dunkin Donuts is everywhere here. They are starting to pop up other places though, but since they originated from Quincy, MA (outside Boston) of course there is going to be more here. They used to have them even at the grocery store here - Stop and Shop. However, now that I am back, I noticed they don't have them in the grocery store anymore.

Tim Horton's is more of a Canadian chain. Yes, there are some in the states, but those the majority are not in the states. Up in New England, Papa Gino's and D'Angelos are very popular. They are sister companies. Papa Gino's is a pizza restaurant and D'Angelos is a sub restaurant. (These are "fast casual" order at the counter, and they make it to order)

99 is a casual sit down restaurant that is only in New England. They do have a sister company - O'Charley's which does have locations in the south. Bertucci's is another northern chain, sit-down. They have wood-fire pizza.

However, some in Florida that I miss that we don't have here is first and foremost Crispers. Crispers is ONLY in Florida. It is very similar to Panera. Steak N Shake is one that I miss too. Just more for the prices to eat if anything.

Some fast food chains are moving their way north like Sonic and Chick Fil A.

Up here though, I do notice a lot more mom & pop places than chains. Where in Tampa on any major street you can expect to find chain restaurants, and many of them. Go 10-15 mins away and you have all the same chain restaurants again. It takes a little more work to find mom/pop places I've noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2014, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Charleston, SC metro
3,518 posts, read 4,400,446 times
Reputation: 1386
Yes, chains are sometimes all over, but I have always referred to the concentration of a particular chain is sometimes prevalent.

For example, here is a map of Sonic locations:



Notice the particular concentration in the SE?

Also, places like Cook Out have flat out said they aren't going into the North, In and Out says no to the east (for different reasons).

Here's a map of Chick Fil A spots:



Yes, I am stating that there is a difference in different areas of the country. Those maps might be a touch dated, but I doubt a current one would be all that different. Sonic isn't only in the South, but they are more prevalent there. If you lived in a Southern city, your chances at experiencing them are higher than in the North. Hence my discussion point: who has the better regions for chains?

If that's the question, clearly you can see the "chains are trash" comments are worthless, pointless, and borderline hipster trolling, since people who don't enjoy at least one chain don't have much stake in the argument.

Although, keep in mind, this shouldn't be a fierce discussion in put-downs. Just a fun conversation about the difference in chain prevalence between regions.

Big-Mac-On, my fellow chain eaters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2014, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,500,006 times
Reputation: 2927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
I have lived in MA, CT and FL. Most of my adult life has been in Florida, born and raised in MA and left there in my early 20's.

Yes, I notice in the south there is a lot more variety of chains. Most fast food as well as sit down dining. There are some down south that I miss now that I am back up north, and when I was down in Florida there was sometimes I missed places here.

Dunkin Donuts is everywhere here. They are starting to pop up other places though, but since they originated from Quincy, MA (outside Boston) of course there is going to be more here. They used to have them even at the grocery store here - Stop and Shop. However, now that I am back, I noticed they don't have them in the grocery store anymore.

Tim Horton's is more of a Canadian chain. Yes, there are some in the states, but those the majority are not in the states. Up in New England, Papa Gino's and D'Angelos are very popular. They are sister companies. Papa Gino's is a pizza restaurant and D'Angelos is a sub restaurant. (These are "fast casual" order at the counter, and they make it to order)

99 is a casual sit down restaurant that is only in New England. They do have a sister company - O'Charley's which does have locations in the south. Bertucci's is another northern chain, sit-down. They have wood-fire pizza.

However, some in Florida that I miss that we don't have here is first and foremost Crispers. Crispers is ONLY in Florida. It is very similar to Panera. Steak N Shake is one that I miss too. Just more for the prices to eat if anything.

Some fast food chains are moving their way north like Sonic and Chick Fil A.

Up here though, I do notice a lot more mom & pop places than chains. Where in Tampa on any major street you can expect to find chain restaurants, and many of them. Go 10-15 mins away and you have all the same chain restaurants again. It takes a little more work to find mom/pop places I've noticed.
Bolded #1: Dunkin Donuts is a way of life up there :-)
Bolded #2: Bleh...BLEH -- Steak and Shake is sooo BLEH lol. Course that's my opnion
Bolded #3: There it is! I'm in Florida right now and have lived in MA, CT (22 years) and NY for a bit... there's just too many chains here in FL and so little to offer in the local mom & pop stuff. I found one... ONE place that I'm okay with here and that's Largo Subs. I don't believe Largo Subs is a chain, but they do have acceptable grinders -- 7/10.

I'm extremely picky with food and am tough to please. Sorry Florida, you don't impress me. I will say though, I have been able to find some good Mexican down here... but Italian Food here gets a 4/10... it's junk. Hot dogs get 1/10, worst damn hot dogs I've ever had in my life!

I found ONE location with good hot dogs at a place called "Frankie's" in Tampa. After eating there I realized something... these hot dogs taste EXACTLY like the dogs from back home. I asked what they were and sure enough they were Hummel Bros hot dogs from Waterbury, CT down the street from where I grew up. Sadly they went out of business :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2014, 06:19 PM
 
Location: The South
5,214 posts, read 3,627,108 times
Reputation: 7891
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh there's been the implication off and on throughout the thread - I'm not going to go all the way back through but several posters have said stuff like, "We have great local restaurants like (fill in the blank) and we eat there instead of chains" and then I'd google the locations and it would be a CHAIN restaurant with locations all over the place - including in the South.

But of course you can't compare a BK to a Five Guys - they're not the same animal, any more than a White Castle burger is the same as a Jucy's burger. There's no comparison.

My gripe is with people who act like there's not as much "junk" in other regions, but then when it's pointed out to them that the junk is most certainly "up there" en masse, they say, "Oh, but I never eat there and neither do the locals - it's just for tourists." Yeah, right.
All this talk about burgers makes me hungry. I've ate plenty of BK burgers and once tried Five Guys, not impressed. White Castle is just a renamed Krystal and they are not bad, just different. However, If I am near a What A Burger, that is what I will get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2014, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Sweet Home...CHICAGO
3,329 posts, read 3,992,278 times
Reputation: 4009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
All this talk about burgers makes me hungry. I've ate plenty of BK burgers and once tried Five Guys, not impressed. White Castle is just a renamed Krystal and they are not bad, just different. However, If I am near a What A Burger, that is what I will get.
Krystal came after White Castle, FYI lol. I'm not impressed with What A Burger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top