U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2014, 06:34 PM

3,330 posts, read 3,996,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post

Up here though, I do notice a lot more mom & pop places than chains. Where in Tampa on any major street you can expect to find chain restaurants, and many of them. Go 10-15 mins away and you have all the same chain restaurants again. It takes a little more work to find mom/pop places I've noticed.

This is the same point I was making. Here in the south chains are what's easy to find and get to and are everywhere. Back home, local l food is what's there and easy to get to. I've lived all over Chicago and its burbs and in many places the are very few chains on none at all in the neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 07:05 PM

44,800 posts, read 36,186,607 times
Maybe my perspective is skewered. I live in Tyler Texas which is a "foodie" town, chock full of independently owned. and mom and pop owned restaurants. So the whole idea of relying on chains for "good food" is sort of out there and ridiculous to me - it's just not my style.

That being said, I think some chains excel at certain things - Sonic for creative drinks, DQ for blizzards, Braums for ice cream, Dunkin Donuts for donuts, the Olive Garden for soup, salad and breadsticks, you get my drift - most of us, whether we like to admit it or not, have some guilty pleasures when it comes to chain restaurants. We may disagree on the particular brand of guilt, but I think if we're honest, most of us have our little comfort zones when it comes to chain restaurants.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 41,979,923 times
Do Dairy Queen and Dunkin Donuts count as restaurants? Dunkin Donuts doesn't really serve full meals. I thought a restaurants is some more than just fast food.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:28 PM

9,433 posts, read 18,334,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Maybe my perspective is skewered. I live in Tyler Texas which is a "foodie" town, chock full of independently owned. and mom and pop owned restaurants. So the whole idea of relying on chains for "good food" is sort of out there and ridiculous to me - it's just not my style.

That being said, I think some chains excel at certain things - Sonic for creative drinks, DQ for blizzards, Braums for ice cream, Dunkin Donuts for donuts, the Olive Garden for soup, salad and breadsticks, you get my drift - most of us, whether we like to admit it or not, have some guilty pleasures when it comes to chain restaurants. We may disagree on the particular brand of guilt, but I think if we're honest, most of us have our little comfort zones when it comes to chain restaurants.
The guilty pleasure of chains gets me reminiscing my 20's when I lived in Seattle. It was Jack in the Box. Now hold on, I actually think their food is repulsive. But after a Saturday bar night, waking up on Sunday morning in search of a hangover remedy drew me to Jack in the Box. They had a multi layer grease bomb breakfast sandwich with ham, bacon, and sausage patty, two eggs, between two buns with layers of cheese. It was probably a 2700 calorie sandwich at the pinnacle of gluttony. Something I could never eat today. But it remedied the hangover quite well back then.

Most chains are rather unappealing to me the older I get if I can find a better alternative. I won't do McDonald's anymore and haven't been in ages, they have sunken into a fast food abyss. That said, I won't refuse Texas Roadhouse, I definitely dig that place.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:59 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,404,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Do Dairy Queen and Dunkin Donuts count as restaurants? Dunkin Donuts doesn't really serve full meals. I thought a restaurants is some more than just fast food.
I have actually counted on DD for lunch before. It actually can be quite good. They expanded into meals when their sales were sagging a few years ago.

Also, DQ Grill & Chill restaurants serve meals. They actually aren't bad. I remember the fries being pretty good.

Anyone been to a Cheeburger Cheeburger?

Old 09-02-2014, 08:15 PM

56,618 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I have actually counted on DD for lunch before. It actually can be quite good. They expanded into meals when their sales were sagging a few years ago.

Also, DQ Grill & Chill restaurants serve meals. They actually aren't bad. I remember the fries being pretty good.

Anyone been to a Cheeburger Cheeburger?
They had a Cheeburger Cheeburger in the Syracuse area and while it did good business, it closed down due to other reasons. With that said, local burger places are common up here in Upstate NY, as you know rory with Bill Gray's in the Rochester area and places like Village Burger, the Blarney Stone, Bull & Bear, Ale N Angus and others listed here in the Syracuse area: Syracuse's Best Restaurants: Where to find a good burger in CNY | syracuse.com

Old 09-02-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
They had a Cheeburger Cheeburger in the Syracuse area and while it did good business, it closed down due to other reasons. With that said, local burger places are common up here in Upstate NY, as you know rory with Bill Gray's in the Rochester area and places like Village Burger, the Blarney Stone, Bull & Bear, Ale N Angus and others listed here in the Syracuse area: Syracuse's Best Restaurants: Where to find a good burger in CNY | syracuse.com
Cheeburger is a delicious place and was my favorite burger in Rochester. They have one in Bluffton, but I might have been jaded with the local burger places here. Still good though.

Every area seems to have a host of regional or local chains. Different style though. Kickin Chicken, Mellow Mushroom, Wild Wing Cafe. Even though they are totally different menus, I equate a Bill Grays to a Gilligans here, just because of the local feel, bipolar reception.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:37 PM

2,786 posts, read 3,966,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Kathryn, you are right. Some places specialize in certain items. We try to avoid chains but when traveling on the Interstate, they are handy and quick. Now, I found that when I went to Yelp, I got some great suggestions for local eateries in Charlottesville, Asheville, Memphis, & Williamsburg on our big road trip back East.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:40 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,767,031 times
Ahh Cheeburger Cheeburger is soooo good.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:49 PM

On road trips, I find it very difficult to NOT eat at chains. Whenever I do the research and identify a place, it's never the right time or one of us isn't hungry. We are spontaneous with our stops. While we are in a destination, we may be hitting up the local spots, but oftentimes on the way there, attempt to hit up spots that we don't have back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or