U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 09:10 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,420,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
If this were actually the case, it would be the dumbest thing...a "fine dining" chain? Goes against the entire concept. Why pay $80 a person for some chain garbage when you could have a unique meal prepared by a chef? In Milwaukee, we have several restaurant groups that disguise themselves by naming their restaurants differently. Even though they use better ingredients and have a competent staff, these places appeal mostly to tasteless yuppies who can't tell the difference.

A friend/neighbor is head chef at one of these groups, and while he's amazing (which has rarely been the case with cooks/chefs I've known) personally, the whole process of new items and plates has to go through a committee, where they sand off the rough edges (uniqueness) and make the food a few steps more bland. A national chain continues sanding until all that's left is food that won't offend any potential customers. A cheap-o fast food national chain...not sure it's even food anymore!
If you don't like chains, then why are you posting here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 09:13 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,420,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
If you don't like chains, then why are you posting here?
I'll post wherever I want, and there's nothing you can do about it.

I've been on topic throughout, why can't you do the same and contribute?

Old 09-03-2014, 09:19 AM

45,424 posts, read 36,571,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I'll post wherever I want, and there's nothing you can do about it.

I've been on topic throughout, why can't you do the same and contribute?
You're addressing the OP, who has "contributed" regularly on this thread. Why be so snarky?

Old 09-03-2014, 09:21 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,520,386 times
the first response in this thread was "Chain restaurants are garbage no matter where they are."

I'm pretty sure the thread moved on to how crap chain restaurants pretty quickly :-)

Old 09-03-2014, 09:23 AM

45,424 posts, read 36,571,700 times
We have some friends who are Belgian and who also happen to be very well off, sophisticated professionals and world travelers. They visit the US every few years and they LOVE visiting the South and Midwest - two regions that they consider to be vastly underrated and overlooked by tourists (and they consider that to be a blessing).

They really enjoy trying out some American chains - their favorite is Texas Road House. What seems common place and rather bland to us, they consider unique and delicious. So it's all a matter of perspective.

They're planning another trip here soon. We're going to take them to IHOP. I don't think they've ever been to one. Oh, and they also really enjoy Applebees.

They are also fascinated by southern cuisine and we always fix them a big meal from scratch - ham, cornbread, turnip greens, black eyed peas, bread pudding and buttermilk pie. Oh and lots and lots of sweet iced tea - they also really love the free refills of sweet iced tea whenever we go out to eat.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
the first response in this thread was "Chain restaurants are garbage no matter where they are."

I'm pretty sure the thread moved on to how crap chain restaurants pretty quickly :-)
Hipster trolls don't get to decide the direction of the thread

Old 09-03-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We have some friends who are Belgian and who also happen to be very well off, sophisticated professionals and world travelers. They visit the US every few years and they LOVE visiting the South and Midwest - two regions that they consider to be vastly underrated and overlooked by tourists (and they consider that to be a blessing).

They really enjoy trying out some American chains - their favorite is Texas Road House. What seems common place and rather bland to us, they consider unique and delicious. So it's all a matter of perspective.

They're planning another trip here soon. We're going to take them to IHOP. I don't think they've ever been to one. Oh, and they also really enjoy Applebees.

They are also fascinated by southern cuisine and we always fix them a big meal from scratch - ham, cornbread, turnip greens, black eyed peas, bread pudding and buttermilk pie. Oh and lots and lots of sweet iced tea - they also really love the free refills of sweet iced tea whenever we go out to eat.
Not the first time I've heard of foreigners enjoying some of the chains over here.

I think there is a lot of psychology going on with eating chains. I honestly believe that they allow their minds to get tricked into not liking it just because of the perception of it.

Here is one of my favorite episodes of P&T:BS where they tackle fast food. They even feature an experiment at Cornell that dresses up fast food and people can't tell the difference.

LiveLeak.com - Penn & Teller: Bull****! - Fast Food

Old 09-03-2014, 10:05 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,192,925 times
Quote:
Not the first time I've heard of foreigners enjoying some of the chains over here.

I think there is a lot of psychology going on with eating chains. I honestly believe that they allow their minds to get tricked into not liking it just because of the perception of it.

Here is one of my favorite episodes of P&T:BS where they tackle fast food. They even feature an experiment at Cornell that dresses up fast food and people can't tell the difference.

LiveLeak.com - Penn & Teller: Bull****! - Fast Food
The problem I have with chains isn't the taste, because a lot of it does taste good. The problem I have is the poor preparation and poisonous ingredients that can be found in these foods. For those reasons fast food absolutely deserves the bad reputation that it has. The same is true for all heavily processed foods that fill our grocery stores.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:06 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,947,124 times
Quote:

LiveLeak.com - Penn & Teller: Bull****! - Fas t Food
How can you possibly know that? You would have to be a mind reader to know that.
I'm sure there are many examples of chain food where you could give me a blind taste test with the chain food alongside similar non-chain food and I would fail. But there are just as many, if not more, chains where from a mile away I can tell you that it's inferior. Olive Garden versus almost any local family-owned Italian restaurant, for example.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:13 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,245,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I'm not saying they are completely non-existent, they are few or rare, even in the inner city. I promise you this. There's just too much, much better-tasting local fare to choose from. Just for kicks and giggles, I looked up Taco Bell in various zip codes that I or my family have lived in, and they are not close by. They are all in the suburbs. Two of the zip codes I looked up where me and my family have lived, there are ZERO Pizza Huts. Not one! All of the Applebee's are in the suburbs. Not one in the city. 17 come up and most of them are near or in the state of Indiana. Even in the closer-in burbs, you still are going to find a lot of local fare over fast food and casual dining chains.

Trip Advisor doesn't give you the full picture if you don't know what areas to look in.

I can definitely taste a difference between White Castle and Krystal. White Castle tastes much better.
Assuming you're talking about Chicago, there is an Applebees in the city of Chicago. Same for Olive Garden. The sit down chains are slowly entering the market via the peripheral neighborhoods, although there is a Chili's in River North, and a Cheese Cake Factory in Gold Coast off Michigan Ave in the Hancock.

There are also most definitely Taco Bells in the city. There's one right at Clark and Addison in Lakeview, in addition to a McDonald's on the other side of the street.

You can also get Dominos and Pizza Hut in the North Side neighborhoods as well. I'm sure you can also get it elsewhere in the city as well, but I've only had to deal with ordering it on the North Side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
^^^This.

In the rust belt midwest and northeast, there just aren't that many chains within the city limits of the major cities. We prefer mom n' pop hoagies and other deli sandwiches (or deli food in general), hot dogs, sausages and small local ethnic spots over national fast food chains, because that's what we've always had access to for over a century.

Those of us who grew up on deli and ethnic foods of great taste and quality aren't going to choose chains over that, which is why many of the chains usually end up closing (in Chicago anyway). There are Jack in the Box stores everywhere here in Texas. They closed them all down in Chicago back in the 70's or 80's. And Jack in the Box food is just awful.
Sit down places I can definitely agree on, but not fast food. They're not everywhere like they are in the suburbs, but you're not going to have to bend over backwards to find a Subway, McDonald's, etc, either. The same goes for the city of St. Louis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or