U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 05:57 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,402,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
I agree that chains can be good. What I disagree with is the idea that in the cases where I do think a chain is terrible, that I am somehow psychologically deceiving myself and that I would really like it if I decided I wanted to like it. For you to know that, you would need to be a mind reader.
Some really do hate the taste of McDonalds. I think you want to believe that they don't really hate the things you like and that their "elitism" is leading them astray. But I don't see how you can discount the possibility that some people just don't like the taste of McDonalds just like you don't like the taste of some things, I'm sure. To ask them to abandon their "elitist" preference is like me asking you to stop enjoying a PBR on a hot day.

No one said everyone was like that. You need to read a bit more carefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 06:46 PM

44,745 posts, read 36,160,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Well, come on...how would organic veggies taste any differently in a blind test? Most people can tell the difference between Olive Garden and a real Italian joint or White Castle and a good local spot. The ones who can't simply aren't very well attuned to food. And colas all taste pretty similar outside the can. The only "controversy" is in their marketing and advertising, otherwise I'm sure Coke vs Pepsi wouldn't be a "hot button" issue, LOL! This is exactly what you do not understand about chains, advertising and branding, which has nothing to do with flavor or nutrition.

I already mentioned the Pasta Hut ads/this phenomenon pages back and you have this backwards - all that fast food branding and advertising tricks people in a certain demographic to preferring Sonic tator tots (which are frozen and identical to the freezer burned ones in the local market) to tots everywhere else, just because of the location and decor. Likewise, you can sell some gullible people on frozen dishes in expensive restaurants, but a good chunk of people who care about food would never fall for it.

As for your original assertion that started this thread - no, I do not believe that the South has the best chains. I feel that most chains, regardless of where they originate, are bad food. My only personal exceptions are based in California (In N Out) and Wisconsin (Culver's), neither of which are in the South.

I really hate to break it to you but In N Out is in the South. And errr, well, so is Culvers.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,959,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
BTW, I couldn't believe all the Cracker Barrels in the South. About every 30 miles or so.
Never been to one. Downstate NY has none btw.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Never been to one. Downstate NY has none btw.
They are definitely weird places. Half country bumpkin weird gift shop, half 95% wooden diner. Making their way North nowadays.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:25 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,225,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
In my experience, I did have to bend over backwards to find most of the places you named. I noticed they are there more now but they weren't there before. I even did a search for these places in a few of the zip codes I used to live in Chicago and most of these places are not anywhere near where I used to live there except 2 or 3.
If you don't mind me asking, what neighborhoods did you live in in Chicago? I ask because it's interesting to me how it appears that they're sprouting up more so in some parts of the city and not others.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:28 AM

12,657 posts, read 10,501,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I really hate to break it to you but In N Out is in the South. And errr, well, so is Culvers.
Only TX for In N Out. And I wonder, all of TX or just western TX? It's a Southwestern chain.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:00 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,397,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Only TX for In N Out. And I wonder, all of TX or just western TX? It's a Southwestern chain.
Right, INO is a SW chain based in CA, and Culver's is a Midwestern chain based in WI. I was responding directly to the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
My gosh what a difference! South FTW

Any thoughts?
The basis of this thread is that the best chains are in the South; I disagree. I think almost all chains are terrible, and because I travel a lot I unfortunately am very familiar with chains across the country.

The only ones I actually enjoy on occasion are Western (In N Out) and Midwestern (Culver's), so I am casting my "no" regarding the OP. One person is unable to stay on topic or really understand what's going on; another, the original poster, has a bizarre "anti-hipster" agenda vs people who in all likelihood don't even come close to qualifying as "hipsters," they just like good food and dislike garbage.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Right, INO is a SW chain based in CA, and Culver's is a Midwestern chain based in WI. I was responding directly to the OP:

The basis of this thread is that the best chains are in the South; I disagree. I think almost all chains are terrible, and because I travel a lot I unfortunately am very familiar with chains across the country.

The only ones I actually enjoy on occasion are Western (In N Out) and Midwestern (Culver's), so I am casting my "no" regarding the OP. One person is unable to stay on topic or really understand what's going on; another, the original poster, has a bizarre "anti-hipster" agenda vs people who in all likelihood don't even come close to qualifying as "hipsters," they just like good food and dislike garbage.
So you're saying you don't have a particular region that you prefer. Okay. Thank you. Have a wonderful day.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:14 AM

44,745 posts, read 36,160,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Dallas isn't west Texas. There are numerous ones in Dallas. And there's one being built in Tyler which is north EAST Texas. Looks like this chain is moving east.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Dallas isn't west Texas. There are numerous ones in Dallas. And there's one being built in Tyler which is north EAST Texas. Looks like this chain is moving east.
They would have to put up a distribution network out somewhere east in order to maintain the "fresh" standards the owner believes in but they don't seem to be motivated to do so.

In-N-Out Burger Won't Come To East Coast - Business Insider
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or