U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 09:17 AM

44,689 posts, read 36,118,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What's a Culver's? Never seen Chick Fil A, either.

Anyhow, while I agree people should check restaurant's website before making a claim, the fact there is suggests something. For example, there's a Cracker Barrell 13 miles from me but it's in a spot I don't pass by frequently. I wouldn't have known they were here unless I checked. If they were more common in the area I would have known. Ditto with Olive Garden, there a few in the region and downstate NY but not many. Think I've been at one in a mall once, but otherwise wouldn't have been aware of them much without checking.
Heck, there are Cracker Barrels all over the place along southern interstates but I don't see many inside cities - in fact, I don't recall EVER seeing one that wasn't adjacent to an interstate or major highway. But of course, I could be wrong about that.

I don't particularly care for them either. If I want "southern cooking" I'll do it myself. In fact, I need to get off this computer because I've got to go to the grocery store and buy a ham, some summer squash, and black eyed peas - my daughter and her family are coming over for supper! (If I find some good looking turnip or collard greens I'll throw them into the mix as well!)

Oh, and I'm also going to make biscuits and red eye gravy and I think I'm going to do a buttermilk pie as well.

Brothers and sisters, BELIEVE ME - this meal will be better than any restaurant rendition of southern cooking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 09:20 AM

2,585 posts, read 3,729,046 times
I missed Krystal when I lived in DC and NYC. NYC has White Castle but it isn't the same. I also missed Waffle House but I've been disappointed the past couple visits.

Whenever I make it back to the west coast I plan to hit In-n-Out at least once. Whattaburger didn't really impress me too much.

Zaxbys takes deep frying to an extreme. It's so greasy Ive only eaten there a few times.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:38 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,400,957 times
Again, what I meant was the concentration region of a particular chain. There may be a Chick Fil A in Pennsylvania, but I still would consider it a Southern chain.

Chick Fil A location map

But likewise, I would consider Culver's a predominantly Midwestern chain, even thought there are two in South Carolina. In-and-Out would be predominantly a Western chain (or Southwestern, not sure). A chain would have to be mature enough to have many locations, but not mature enough to have so many locations that they are not predominantly in one region. I'd consider McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, etc. to fall in that "National" category.

This is what I meant originally. I suppose traveling and eating at chains must be implied because if you only went to chains around you and you happen to be in the one city in CT or NY that has every chain imaginable, you wouldn't have any idea what we are all talking about!

Anyone have any other examples of Midwest chains? Or Northwest?

Old 09-04-2014, 09:47 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,395,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Again, what I meant was the concentration region of a particular chain. There may be a Chick Fil A in Pennsylvania, but I still would consider it a Southern chain.

Chick Fil A location map

But likewise, I would consider Culver's a predominantly Midwestern chain, even thought there are two in South Carolina. In-and-Out would be predominantly a Western chain (or Southwestern, not sure). A chain would have to be mature enough to have many locations, but not mature enough to have so many locations that they are not predominantly in one region. I'd consider McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, etc. to fall in that "National" category.

This is what I meant originally. I suppose traveling and eating at chains must be implied because if you only went to chains around you and you happen to be in the one city in CT or NY that has every chain imaginable, you wouldn't have any idea what we are all talking about!

Anyone have any other examples of Midwest chains? Or Northwest?
We've disagreed on a lot of things here, but I'm glad you clarified that I was on-topic and understood the OP

I'm trying to answer following your original intent and guidelines, though the thread definitely took a turn regarding the "worth" of fast food.

As for other regional examples, well, I'm probably not the best help there as I try to avoid 'em. Culver's is the best fast food chain in the Midwest, and my favorite overall. Beyond that, nothing is coming to mind but I'll add if I think of anything...

Old 09-04-2014, 09:47 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,134,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Heck, there are Cracker Barrels all over the place along southern interstates but I don't see many inside cities - in fact, I don't recall EVER seeing one that wasn't adjacent to an interstate or major highway. But of course, I could be wrong about that.

I don't particularly care for them either. If I want "southern cooking" I'll do it myself. In fact, I need to get off this computer because I've got to go to the grocery store and buy a ham, some summer squash, and black eyed peas - my daughter and her family are coming over for supper! (If I find some good looking turnip or collard greens I'll throw them into the mix as well!)

Oh, and I'm also going to make biscuits and red eye gravy and I think I'm going to do a buttermilk pie as well.

Brothers and sisters, BELIEVE ME - this meal will be better than any restaurant rendition of southern cooking!
Now that you mention it, I don't remember seeing a Cracker Barrel that wasn't on an interstate. I only go there for breakfast. Their pancakes are delicious!!!

Old 09-04-2014, 10:41 AM

3,329 posts, read 3,993,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what neighborhoods did you live in in Chicago? I ask because it's interesting to me how it appears that they're sprouting up more so in some parts of the city and not others.

If you do a search for a lot of these places from downtown and look outward, you still won't see a great number of these places in the city with the exception of a few.

I'm from the southwest side, I've lived all over the south side, including Hyde Park and I've lived in the south suburbs and also Evanston. Like I said, a lot of the chains that are popping up there now is recent. When I lived there, they weren't there in large numbers. Not at all. And even if I had access to chain food in Chicago, I still chose local over chain; and not out of some hipster-eque snobbery. It was just second nature to eat local because it was more prevalent and the food simply tastes way better.

And as I've said initially, I didn't start eating chain food on a regular basis until I moved south because I wasn't surrounded by chain food up there like I am down here. Not at all. Even when I go to visit Chicago, I still don't eat chain food and I get my food from local eateries because it's what I know there. I don't even notice a lot of chains outside of McDonald's when I'm in Chicago. And I'm not saying they're not there. I'm not checking for them because it's not what I eat when I'm in Chicago. I specifically want Chicago food when I'm there--which was what I considered normal, eating out-wise when I lived there and not chains. I couldn't even tell you where a Taco Bell or a Pizza Hut is Chicago without looking it up first because I didn't have access to them when I lived there. They just weren't anywhere near me.

Even spending time and hanging out on the north side, I ate at ethnic restaurants and other local non-chains. And still didn't notice a lot of chains when in Chicago last year. They just don't jump out at you like the do here in the south. They are EVERYWHERE; and I mean EVERYWHERE down here. Having lived in both regions, the difference is highly noticeable and huge.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 09-04-2014 at 10:58 AM..

Old 09-04-2014, 11:03 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
specifically want Chicago food when I'm there--which was what I considered normal, eating out-wise when I lived there and not chains. I couldn't even tell you where a Taco Bell or a Pizza Hut is Chicago without looking it up first because I didn't have access to them when I lived there. They just weren't anywhere near me.
For what it's worth the song "I'm at the combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell" was made by New Yorkers referring to a location(s) in NYC. Those combo places don't really count as a restaurant IMO, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ8ViYIeH04

Found 26 Taco Bells in NYC, though occasionally Google Maps lists ones that are closed. Found 9 in Chicago. So roughly about the same per capita, but less per area. 16 Pizza Huts in NYC, 9 in Chicago. [including combination ones]

Old 09-04-2014, 11:07 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,500,566 times
Quote:
For what it's worth the song "I'm at the combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell" was made by New Yorkers referring to a location(s) in NYC. Those combo places don't really count as a restaurant IMO, though.

Yeah definitely not.

Hey whatever happened to Little Caesar's sit down restaurants? They are all just $5 pizza now, but I seem to remember them being actual sit-down places.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:17 AM

3,329 posts, read 3,993,030 times
Quote:

Found 26 Taco Bells in NYC, though occasionally Google Maps lists ones that are closed. Found 9 in Chicago. So roughly about the same per capita, but less per area. 16 Pizza Huts in NYC, 9 in Chicago. [including combination ones]
And Chicago is a large city. My search of Pizza Hut in Chicago only returned 5.

So with there being 9 Pizza Huts and 9 Taco Bells, there's a good chance that they won't be anywhere near where you live. You'd have to go way out of your way if you don't live near it to get to one. The one Pizza Hut near where I used to live closed down many years ago.

And the ones that are there, I notice many are still on the outskirts of the city and closer to the suburbs.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:18 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,400,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Yeah definitely not.

Hey whatever happened to Little Caesar's sit down restaurants? They are all just $5 pizza now, but I seem to remember them being actual sit-down places.
Not profitable, most likely. Their sales declined in the 90s and their free delivery model killed them. People seemed to like the $5 carryout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or