U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-28-2014, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Charleston, SC metro
3,518 posts, read 4,404,774 times
Reputation: 1386

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Almost no one in this thread has said anything negative about fast food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Chain restaurants are garbage no matter where they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I'd just rather give my dollars to my neighbor than funnel a big chunk of them out of my town, especially if I'm getting better food along the way.
I agree, but there are some myths in general to be debunked. All revenue doesn't just get dumped into the pockets of corporate McDonald's. Local entrepreneurs take quite a bit of share, not to mention pay local employees for the work. Suppliers are also generally regional. The other thing to consider is the "benefit" of bureaucracy. Sure large concession companies may seem cold, but they usually have some pretty solid HR. I myself wonder if employees are more likely to get shafted on tips (shared pools are illegal), unpaid time, etc. in local restaurants than the ones with systematic training and management practices.

Not sure what you meant by "better food", but you can get unhealthy and poor tasting food at local restaurants, too. At least the chains have sales numbers to prove a like of taste!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-28-2014, 02:09 PM
 
7,279 posts, read 13,530,952 times
Reputation: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I agree, but there are some myths in general to be debunked. All revenue doesn't just get dumped into the pockets of corporate McDonald's. Local entrepreneurs take quite a bit of share, not to mention pay local employees for the work. Suppliers are also generally regional. The other thing to consider is the "benefit" of bureaucracy. Sure large concession companies may seem cold, but they usually have some pretty solid HR. I myself wonder if employees are more likely to get shafted on tips (shared pools are illegal), unpaid time, etc. in local restaurants than the ones with systematic training and management practices.

Not sure what you meant by "better food", but you can get unhealthy and poor tasting food at local restaurants, too. At least the chains have sales numbers to prove a like of taste!
You're setting up straw men, friend. I never said all revenue was set out of town. I said "a big chunk," and I think we'd probably agree that in the vast majority of situations, a larger percentage of your dollar stays local at a local spot than at a big chain, no?

And of course there are plenty of crappy local places. I said "especially if I'm getting better food along the way." I give local spots the benefit of the doubt the first time or two, but beyond that, I'm supporting them based on the quality of my experience, not exclusively out of some sense of duty.

Not sure why you feel the need to be a shill for the big chains. They're doing just fine without your help. But do what you like. Seriously. No judgement. But me and mine will be down the street supporting local business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 03:33 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
2,480 posts, read 2,227,289 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Hipsterism aside, most people eat at fast food restaurants. A lot of people just lie about it because this country's culture believes in shaming people into desired behavior.

Nonetheless, in the South, you have more it seems. Zaxby's, Chick Fil-A, Raising Cane's, Hardee's, Fatz, Dairy Queen, Firehouse Subs

In the North you have Tim Horton's and Boston Market.

In the west, you have In and Out Burger, Tastee Freez, Whattaburger.

I'm not saying that you can't have a few of each in other areas, just where the concentration lies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone108 View Post
I'm in the North. We don't have Tim Horton's (I know there are a few along a couple of borders but it's not common and there's none where I live.) We do have Chick Fil-A, Hardee's and Dairy Queen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Weird. May I ask where that geographical oddity is?
It's not really a geographic oddity. A lot of those fast food places haven't been exclusively Southern for decades at this point.

I grew up in St. Louis, and we had Chick-Fil-A, Hardee's, Dairy Queen, and Sonic. All of those places also have Chicago locations, with Chick-Fil-A and Sonic being the newest additions. The Hardee's are also under the Hardee's name, even though it and Carl's Jr are the same thing at this point.

Also, Tim Horton's isn't Northern. It's not even American. You're only going to get it if you're near Canada. There are none in the Chicago area. If you want it, you'd have to go to Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,504,059 times
Reputation: 2927
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Chain restaurants are garbage no matter where they are.
I second this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 03:36 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
2,480 posts, read 2,227,289 times
Reputation: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I mean, yes, right? The only time I will ever eat in a chain restaurant or fast food is if I'm at the airport or if I'm back in Iowa and my grandma wants to go to Red Lobster or something.

There are a few decent places out there, mostly the Mortons and high end places, but your typical chain like TGI Friday's and Applebee's are the bottom rung of food. It's mostly just garbage.
When you get into sit down restaurant territory, it's true you can typically get it better at some place local, but, when it comes to fast food, it honestly makes little difference. It's not like the majority of the hole in the wall places are producing burgers and fries that taste better than what you'd get at McDonald's, and, to top it off, they charge more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 03:41 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
2,480 posts, read 2,227,289 times
Reputation: 2353
Also, I'm gonna throw out there that Steak n' Shake needs to be added for the "North." It's Midwestern, but they're everywhere out here. Same for Culver's. White Castle is also apparently a Midwestern and Northeastern thing only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,584 posts, read 2,504,059 times
Reputation: 2927
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Also, I'm gonna throw out there that Steak n' Shake needs to be added for the "North." It's Midwestern, but they're everywhere out here. Same for Culver's. White Castle is also apparently a Midwestern and Northeastern thing only.
Bleh, I have Steak & Shakes local here in Tampa. They are not that great. As a northerner, I prefer my region to stay with the mom & pop shops and local restaurants. We don't need anymore chains, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 04:23 PM
 
4,060 posts, read 4,466,747 times
Reputation: 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post

Nonetheless, in the South, you have more it seems. Zaxby's, Chick Fil-A, Raising Cane's, Hardee's, Fatz, Dairy Queen, Firehouse Subs

In the North you have Tim Horton's and Boston Market.

In the west, you have In and Out Burger, Tastee Freez, Whattaburger.
As others have said, I think your view that the south has 'more' is a function of spending most of your time in the south. FWIW, the first DQ was in Joliet, IL - not exactly southern.

D&D (huge market penetration east of the Mississippi - more than 20,000) is a far greater presence than Tim Horton's (800 U.S. shops). In terms of Canadian chains there are also roughly 300 Taco Time franchises in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 04:57 PM
 
Location: 304
5,093 posts, read 6,862,671 times
Reputation: 1697
Have to go with the south. I am from WV (the middle ground), but have lived both in Florida (Tampa) and now live in upstate New York. I would say that I have a pretty good understanding of chains as I am a college student with a small budget. The South has Chick-fil-a and Zaxby's, so its hard to argue with that. There are more non-chains in the north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Charleston, SC metro
3,518 posts, read 4,404,774 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Not sure why you feel the need to be a shill for the big chains. They're doing just fine without your help. But do what you like. Seriously. No judgement. But me and mine will be down the street supporting local business.
Ahh, yes. "shill". Hipster term for someone that says one good thing about something that is hipster to hate. I think Walmart is convenient. UH OH! SHILL FOR WALMART.

I think we're done here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
It's not really a geographic oddity. A lot of those fast food places haven't been exclusively Southern for decades at this point.

I grew up in St. Louis, and we had Chick-Fil-A, Hardee's, Dairy Queen, and Sonic. All of those places also have Chicago locations, with Chick-Fil-A and Sonic being the newest additions. The Hardee's are also under the Hardee's name, even though it and Carl's Jr are the same thing at this point.

Also, Tim Horton's isn't Northern. It's not even American. You're only going to get it if you're near Canada. There are none in the Chicago area. If you want it, you'd have to go to Michigan.
I didn't mean it as a bad thing, "oddity", I mean. Just curious is all.

Also, I know Horton's is Canadian (and a terrible place), but it does have more in the North. For obvious reasons, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Also, I'm gonna throw out there that Steak n' Shake needs to be added for the "North." It's Midwestern, but they're everywhere out here. Same for Culver's. White Castle is also apparently a Midwestern and Northeastern thing only.
Oh yum. Steak n' Shake is delicious. Have on in Charleston here and it's good. Although, I did always have to travel from NY to get to one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
As others have said, I think your view that the south has 'more' is a function of spending most of your time in the south. FWIW, the first DQ was in Joliet, IL - not exactly southern.
Grew up in Rochester 30 years, moved to Charleston last April. Nonetheless, my perspective is particular and not necessarily the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top