U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 07:24 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,917,969 times

Advertisements

Cheescake Factory is basically the only chain I like and Johnny Carino's is a pretty good chain as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 07:26 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,136,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I really hope you're joking. Not making The South look good.

Also, Dunkin isn't from NC. Krispy Kreme is.
Not quite sure about where Fridays started either, even though I really don't like that place.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:29 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,404,120 times
Quote:
Not quite sure about where Fridays started either, even though I really don't like that place.
I got a sirloin steak there once. Last time I went and I will never return.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I got a sirloin steak there once. Last time I went and I will never return.
I'm not a huge anti chain snob, but that's one place that just isn't very good.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:42 AM

12,696 posts, read 10,510,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I guess because good Italian has never been the type of food you have to go to the north to find. You can find it in a lot of places, all over the country for the most part. Unlike good sweet tea or shrimp and grits, or clam chowder, or barbeque, other things that have more of a regional association.
Hm, that's what you think! I've tried it elsewhere. Usually, it sucks. But I guess I'm spoiled. I've never found another area that either has as many Italian/pizza places, including small Italian delis, and consistently good food as the area I live. As I stated earlier, my small town of 20,000 has over 7 pizza places, or Italian restaurants that also serve pizza. It has 2 strictly Italian delis. It has other Italian restaurants that don't serve pizza. By far, no other ethnic food is represented more. And this is the norm for many NJ towns. Can southern or Midwestern towns say the same about Italian food?

Why do you think that the other foods you listed are exclusive to a region but good Italian food cannot be? You can find all the food you mentioned right here in NJ, but who's to say it's as good?

Old 09-05-2014, 07:47 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,404,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Hm, that's what you think! I've tried it elsewhere. Usually, it sucks. But I guess I'm spoiled. I've never found another area that either has as many Italian/pizza places, including small Italian delis, and consistently good food as the area I live. As I stated earlier, my small town of 20,000 has over 7 pizza places, or Italian restaurants that also serve pizza. It has 2 strictly Italian delis. It has other Italian restaurants that don't serve pizza. By far, no other ethnic food is represented more. And this is the norm for many NJ towns. Can southern or Midwestern towns say the same about Italian food?

Why do you think that the other foods you listed are exclusive to a region but good Italian food cannot be?
I'm not sure about the other poster's perspective, but you can get the same Italian food taste in different areas of the country, you just have to look in the right place. People don't just settle in one area they move around. I love Philly cheesesteaks in Philly, but there is a place in Summerville, SC that is delicious. They happen to be from Philly.

I think when you're talking about genres of food, that can be everywhere. You just have to know where to look. Some places, it's easier to find than others because they have "Little Italy" neighborhoods that make it more apparent. Doesn't make it better there.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

Why do you think that the other foods you listed are exclusive to a region but good Italian food cannot be? You can find all the food you mentioned right here in NJ, but who's to say it's as good?
The Northeast by far has the best Italian food. I think the other poster was just talking about perception. When people in other parts of the country think of Italian food they think, "Italy" not so much the northeast. But when somebody says grits or barbecue, people are more likely to think "The South."

Old 09-05-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
The Northeast by far has the best Italian food. I think the other poster was just talking about perception. When people in other parts of the country think of Italian food they think, "Italy" not so much the northeast. But when somebody says grits or barbecue, people are more likely to think "The South."
I understand that, but you said it yourself - the Northeast by far the best Italian food in the country. The Northeast is part of the North. Therefore, how can northern food be plain? Why do we need to have our own "type" of food for it to be good? One thing about the north, NE in particular, is the boom in immigration in the late 19th/early 20th century that brought many cultures, and a lot of good ethnic foods. And we Americans have put our own spin on it, including Italian food because believe me, I have been to Italy and their food is not the same (I am NOT saying ours is better btw!). We've done our own thing with Italian food. Some is the same, some is similar, but some is brand new. The South is known for BBQ but IMO the north(east) is known for having good, pretty authentic ethnic food especially in areas around major cities. This is what the northern food is.

Also, in general not just to you UTHORNS, of course you can find any type of good food anywhere. But just like saying the concentration of good BBQ is in the south, the concentration of good Italian food is in the Northeast. You cannot admit one and deny the other.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:14 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 21 days ago)

10,500 posts, read 14,325,180 times
Quote:
Exactly. If I'm on vacation I might think "oh I need to try the lobster/seafood in Maine, the fresh shrimp on the gulf, bagels/delis in New York, fried green tomatoes and grits in Alabama". I'm not thinking 'I need to try Italian in the north because that's the only good place to find it"
TBH most cities of any size have Italian n'hood or areas and it's not terribly difficult to find authentic Italian cooking, even if it's not in the quantity or variety you might find in NJ. It's been that way for a long while. OTOH it's only been fairly recent to find things like grits, sweet tea, BBQ or Maine lobster outside their respective regions, you pretty much had to travel elsewhere to find and enjoy them.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Exactly. If I'm on vacation I might think "oh I need to try the lobster/seafood in Maine, the fresh shrimp on the gulf, bagels/delis in New York, fried green tomatoes and grits in Alabama". I'm not thinking 'I need to try Italian in the north because that's the only good place to find it"
TBH most cities of any size have Italian n'hood or areas and it's not terribly difficult to find authentic Italian cooking, even if it's not in the quantity or variety you might find in NJ. It's been that way for a long while. OTOH it's only been fairly recent to find things like grits, sweet tea, BBQ or Maine lobster outside their respective regions, you pretty much had to travel elsewhere to find and enjoy them.
Then I believe you would be missing out, if your aim wasn't to visit a local pizzeria in NY or NJ that's been there for generations and probably makes the best pizza you'd ever had.

There are Italian places in NYC that tourists visit, even in the outer boroughs. Many tourists to NYC go out of their way to try a slice of New York pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or