U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 06:02 AM

56,645 posts, read 80,952,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I work across the street from Paula Deen's restaurant in Savannah. I'm not going to lie to you; if you grew up on traditional Southern (or even Midwestern) cuisine like fried chicken, country fried steak, fried pork chops, pot pie, mashed potatoes, field peas, mac and cheese, creamed corn, collards and sweet potatoes, it's probably not going to impress. And yet, hundreds -- HUNDREDS -- of people line up every day to get their names on the waiting list to get in and eat at The Lady & Sons. The overwhelming majority of them come out saying it's the best meal they've ever had. Tonight, 4 sweet ladies from Alabama waddled out stuffed to the gills and uttered "OMG!" And I have no doubt whatsoever that any of those ladies could have cooked up a comparable meal back home.

Can you get a better meal in Savannah? Absolutely! But who am I to deny these people their guilty pleasures? They love what she serves up. If it's different than what they're used to getting at home (which is pretty much the case for people from other parts of the country, and the world) it might as well be the finest gourmet dining on the planet.
Being that my parents are from rural Mississippi and rural South Carolina, I wonder if they serve neckbones, gizzards, pigs feet or chitterlings? Those things were common at the house growing up and especially for Thanksgiving.

Also, living in an area with a lot of people of Italian descent, I found out later that some would have Tripe and Polenta. It is essentially what many with rural roots would eat and reminds me of Chitterlings and Grits.

I've also realized that many Italians up here are actually 1st and 2nd generation. So, it may be a matter of the range of authenticity in terms of the food in the Northeast. For instance, a woman at work put me on to Ricotta Pie and Pizzelles that her mom from Abruzzo would make and the Ricotta Pie was good. So, you get things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 07:16 AM

12,698 posts, read 10,514,849 times
Quote:
I have had Italian in the north and Italian in the South, and I can honestly say there's no difference. The best New York-style pizza I've ever eaten is at Vinnie Van Go-Go's in Savannah, Georgia. There are a handful of traditional Italian bistros here that are as good as anything you'd find in the Northeast. This isn't me talking, it's tourists and newcomers who come here from the Northeast and brag on it via Trip Advisor, Urban Spoon, etc.

Sure, good Italian places are a dime a dozen and to be found on every block in NYC or NJ. But it's not like that's the only place in America that you can get food Italian food -- far from it.
Then there is absolutely no difference in BBQ either, between the north and south, or any other type of food anywhere, if you want to make that claim.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:34 AM

5,227 posts, read 3,639,125 times
My son and girl friend live in Westchester county, NY, I find it kind of funny when they visit , their first choice of restaurant to visit in the Atlanta area is a local chain called "Provina's". Naturally its Southern Italian.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:34 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,504,059 times
Quote:
I have had Italian in the north and Italian in the South, and I can honestly say there's no difference. The best New York-style pizza I've ever eaten is at Vinnie Van Go-Go's in Savannah, Georgia. There are a handful of traditional Italian bistros here that are as good as anything you'd find in the Northeast. This isn't me talking, it's tourists and newcomers who come here from the Northeast and brag on it via Trip Advisor, Urban Spoon, etc.

Sure, good Italian places are a dime a dozen and to be found on every block in NYC or NJ. But it's not like that's the only place in America that you can get food Italian food -- far from it.
No difference? I lived in CT for 22 years and was regularly in NYC... I have since lived in NC and Florida and have tried the Italian in both of these states at several locations. There's no comparison. Italian food is one of the primary staples of the northeast. It's like taking BBQ away from the south.

Every region has a style of food they focus most on and Italian food is the north's specialty!

Article I found from USA Today

America's 15 best pizzas

First result is from my hometown New Haven, CT! A few results from the west -- but not a damn one from the south! :-)

Old 09-06-2014, 07:50 AM

44,850 posts, read 36,203,761 times
Well, if USA Today said it, it must be true.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:56 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,404,774 times
Quote:
I work in a bar in Savannah across the street from Paula Deen's, so I am doubly cursed.

All-you-can-eat fried chicken + two-for-one double bourbons in to-go cups = FAT FAT FAT
Made our first trip to Savannah last week and I am in love with that place! We'll be back ASAP.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:57 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,404,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
lol

Old 09-06-2014, 08:00 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,504,059 times
Quote:
There's no argument to be had on this discussion. The south just can't match up to Italian food of the north.

And actually the source is from thedailymeal and the list was made by 78 Pizza Experts.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:23 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,162,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
The menu at that Simone's spot looks pretty good. If you're ever in Dallas hit up Sweet Georgia Brown's.

I'm glad you posted that. I once had a black New Yorker try to tell me that blacks don't eat that "slave food" up there anymore now that they're several generations removed from the South.
Quote:
Hell, I'm whiter than Wonder Bread and I just ate some of that slave food last night - I made a baked ham, and collard greens, and yellow squash casserole, and black eyed peas and biscuits, followed by buttermilk pie.

This was the meal my daughter requested since she and her family were coming for a visit. Apparently I raised her RIGHT. I was proud to make it.

Her husband is from Philly and is from an Italian/Puerto Rican family. He wasn't raised on this sort of food, but he took to it like a duck takes to water. I caught him a little while ago warming up some collard greens for a little late night snack!
I don't consider most of those food items to be slave food but just southern food in general. Slave food would be the dishes that were almost exclusive to the slave diet: Oxtails, chitlins and hog maws, pigs feet, neckbones, turkey and chicken necks, gizzards, okra, yams, watermelon. Basically the very cheap scraps of meat as well as the fruits and vegetables that came from Africa.

I don't consider slave food to be a pejorative term. It is part of our history and nothing to be ashamed of.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:25 AM

12,698 posts, read 10,514,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
There's no argument to be had on this discussion. The south just can't match up to Italian food of the north.

And actually the source is from thedailymeal and the list was made by 78 Pizza Experts.
I don't understand why anyone is trying to deny this, while at the same time claiming that certain foods ARE better in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or