U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 10:16 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Again, I don't think people outside the NE understand the scale of Italian culture/influence in the NE.
She actually lives in the Northeast, despite her name. Or lived, unsure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 10:19 AM

12,651 posts, read 10,497,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And many times (not always) the "New York style" pizza outside of New York is done badly. I once wanted to inform a place their "New York pizza" wasn't like "New York pizza" but I refrained.
Definitely. That's why I said "try to replicate it." Sometimes it is pretty good though.

My brother once made the mistake of ordering a pasta and tomato sauce dish in Clearwater, Florida. He took one bite and sent it back. He should've just gotten the grouper, that's what they know how to cook pretty well.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:20 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,501,171 times
Quote:
Definitely. That's why I said "try to replicate it." Sometimes it is pretty good though.

My brother once made the mistake of ordering a pasta and tomato sauce dish in Clearwater, Florida. He took one bite and sent it back.
Ah yes... this is where I'm currently located. The Italian food here makes me sad, very sad. There's only one place I've found to be even remotely tolerable. I'm trying to find a job back north so I can get back my REAL Italian food :-)

I thought maybe because we have a lot of transplants here that I'd be able to find a good mom pop shop with good Italian... not the case.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:21 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

I also don't understand why it's common in most places in the country not to serve pizza by the slice.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:22 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,501,171 times
Quote:
I also don't understand why it's common in most places in the country not to serve pizza by the slice.
Places can make so much more money this way, I don't understand why not either. It's a great business model!

Old 09-06-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
It's not? That's interesting.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
It's not? That's interesting.
Yea, I found it surprising, too. A lot of places advertise "by the slice" as if that's not a given. Instead, some places will do a personal-sized pie. Pizza Hut resembles in some ways pizzerias in other parts of the country. Places like these seem typical in small town New England:

Italian Classics | Buckland, MA

Oddly, most are Greek owned. Went to this one recently, their site is down:

Holiday Pizza - South Deerfield, MA | Yelp

The owners might be Brazilian rather than Greek (didn't expect Brazilians this far out of eastern New England). Name is Mario Brasil, so he might Italian...

Old 09-06-2014, 10:36 AM

6,127 posts, read 6,445,193 times
It's always amusing to watch the northerners act miffed because someone dares to NOT prefer "their" style of food. LOL I like pretty much all pizza, but greasy, floppy, thin crust is not my first preference. Of course, I'd still eat and enjoy it. Haha.

I do associate the northeast with Italian culture. I doubt other areas come close. However, I don't consider that a bad thing. I don't necessarily want to live in an area that's teeming with that type of culture, as I find it to be somewhat obnoxious. I have had food at various Italian restaurants that I enjoyed. If I like the food, I don't spend my time obsessing over how authentic it is. That said, even I know Olive Garden isn't Italian.

I occasionally eat at chains but I generally prefer local places. A Five Guys is opening up in my town, and I'm sure lots of people are excited, just like they were when Texas Roadhouse opened up. I don't quite understand that, because we are in the middle of ranching country and can get FAR better steaks and burgers from local places (or our own freezer). I suppose it's a similar situation with Italian restaurants in the northeast.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
It's always amusing to watch the northerners act miffed because someone dares to NOT prefer "their" style of food. LOL I like pretty much all pizza, but greasy, floppy, thin crust is not my first preference. Of course, I'd still eat and enjoy it. Haha.

I do associate the northeast with Italian culture. I doubt other areas come close. However, I don't consider that a bad thing. I don't necessarily want to live in an area that's teeming with that type of culture, as I find it to be somewhat obnoxious. I have had food at various Italian restaurants that I enjoyed. If I like the food, I don't spend my time obsessing over how authentic it is. That said, even I know Olive Garden isn't Italian.

I occasionally eat at chains but I generally prefer local places. A Five Guys is opening up in my town, and I'm sure lots of people are excited, just like they were when Texas Roadhouse opened up. I don't quite understand that, because we are in the middle of ranching country and can get FAR better steaks and burgers from local places (or our own freezer). I suppose it's a similar situation with Italian restaurants in the northeast.
It's also amusing to watch southerners get offended and/or respond like this when we tell you that Italian food is best in the northeast.

One of many many examples. This has been funny, thanks guys.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:06 AM

6,127 posts, read 6,445,193 times
Quote:
It's also amusing to watch southerners get offended and/or respond like this when we tell you that Italian food is best in the northeast.

One of many many examples. This has been funny, thanks guys.
I'm not offended. I'm also not a southerner.

I assume that overall, Italian food IS the best in the northeast. Please feel free to keep it and the culture! I have found that, for me, a little of both goes a long way. It's just not something I choose very often when I want to eat out, so the options I have work for me. Now, if I ever make a trip to the northeast, I'm sure I will enjoy the offerings there.

Last edited by TheBeagleLady; 09-06-2014 at 11:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or