U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 11:10 AM

56,597 posts, read 80,890,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yea, I found it surprising, too. A lot of places advertise "by the slice" as if that's not a given. Instead, some places will do a personal-sized pie. Pizza Hut resembles in some ways pizzerias in other parts of the country. Places like these seem typical in small town New England:

Italian Classics | Buckland, MA

Oddly, most are Greek owned. Went to this one recently, their site is down:

Holiday Pizza - South Deerfield, MA | Yelp

The owners might be Brazilian rather than Greek (didn't expect Brazilians this far out of eastern New England). Name is Mario Brasil, so he might Italian...
Your last statement may be the case, as parts of Brazil have pretty large Italian communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 12:41 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,159,354 times
I do believe that the northeast can obviously claim to dominate American style Italian food. They essentially started what most Americans think of as pizza and lasagna (spaghetti and macaroni are a different story since southerners have their own rendition of those dishes which are excellent).

Authentic Italian cuisine is a different story though. It may be heavily concentrated in the north, but it's not necessarily going to taste better than authentic Italian elsewhere. Especially if we're talking about New Orleans.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:18 PM

1,249 posts, read 719,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I agree with this post and I definitely miss Morrisons. So glad you mentioned it...the memories!
I always liked eating there. It's good old fashioned foods and the workers there were always real nice and friendly. Picadilly is still good too however.

And yes everyone, I realize I accidentally put Dunkin donuts instead of Krispy Kreme!

Old 09-06-2014, 07:21 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 19 days ago)

10,480 posts, read 14,316,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
So then this goes for all types of food? Southern style foods, Mexican, Asian foods, German food, whatever else you can think of?

That is hypocritical since you just said to me earlier that I need to educate myself because there are regional differences in BBQ.

Not sure why some are having a hard time admitting that the NE does Italian better as a whole, because we have the most Italians and it is literally part of our culture and has been since the 1880s when these people started coming in large numbers to this area and changed the NE for at least the next century and a half.
Because the discussion is not who does a better job of Italian. The discussion started as northern food vs southern food and I said a lot of us do NOT consider Italian to be northern because it's hardly exclusive to the north, quality notwithstanding.
(Just like BBQ is not exclusive to Memphis and shouldn't be considered a TN specialty just because we do it better than KC or TX )

Old 09-06-2014, 08:20 PM

44,747 posts, read 36,160,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Because the discussion is not who does a better job of Italian. The discussion started as northern food vs southern food and I said a lot of us do NOT consider Italian to be northern because it's hardly exclusive to the north, quality notwithstanding.
(Just like BBQ is not exclusive to Memphis and shouldn't be considered a TN specialty just because we do it better than KC or TX )
Them's fightin' words.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:43 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,959,899 times
I'm sitting at the bar at Vinnie Van Go-Gos in Savannah right now. Just had a crusty single slice of pepperoni, mushroom, onion and garlic. Yum! Overheard a girl four seats over say she's from New Joisey.

"What's your opinion of this pizza?" I asked.

"It's not greasy enough, but otherwise it's the best I've ever had!"

"Even in New Jersey?"

"Well, except for the grease. I drive 30 minutes from my house just to eat this pizza."

So yes, apparently you CAN get Italian food just as good in the South -- as long as copious amounts of grease aren't necessary.

End of discussion.

Last edited by Newsboy; 09-06-2014 at 08:53 PM..

Old 09-06-2014, 08:59 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,159,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Them's fightin' words.
I'd say it's all about what you prefer.

Ribs = Memphis
Brisket and sausage = Texas
Pork shoulder or whole hog = Carolinas

Old 09-06-2014, 09:27 PM

56,597 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I'm sitting at the bar at Vinnie Van Go-Gos in Savannah right now. Just had a crusty single slice of pepperoni, mushroom, onion and garlic. Yum! Overheard a girl four seats over say she's from New Joisey.

"Even in New Jersey?"

"Well, except for the grease. I drive 30 minutes from my house just to eat this pizza."

So yes, apparently you CAN get Italian food just as good in the South -- as long as copious amounts of grease aren't necessary.

End of discussion.
Ask about Linguine, Ricotta Pie, Pizzelles, Lasagna, Veal or Chicken Parmagiana, Ravioli, Cannoli and Gelato. If she was from my area, I'd ask her about Chicken Riggies, Spiedies and East Utica Greens too.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:55 PM

12,657 posts, read 10,501,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

"Even in New Jersey?"

End of discussion.
You lost all credibility when you said "Joisey." Nice anecdote. It doesn't change the fact, that many others have agreed with, that the NE does Italian best and it's one of our specialties.

End of discussion.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:04 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,402,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I'd say it's all about what you prefer.

Ribs = Memphis
Brisket and sausage = Texas
Pork shoulder or whole hog = Carolinas
SC BBQ pork FTW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or