U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2014, 04:32 PM

12,701 posts, read 10,552,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
More chains I haven't heard of.
There's a Famous Dave's out on route 22 in NJ not too far from me. It's okay. I've never heard of the other place either though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 04:48 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,754,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
North or south, there's almost always a better local option. Eat local. Drink local. Stay local.
Eat local all you want just don't tell ME what YOU want ME to eat.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:46 PM

11,544 posts, read 26,047,082 times
I think a lot of this depends upon where you live and where you are going. I could buy a burger, coke and fries from McDonald's for $0.25 when it first opened in the 50s. It was much better then. I spent $40 at Applebees one night for cold food. I won't go back. Steak n' Shake has been around 70 years. I can still get a great burger and fries. The best Denny's in America is in Winslow, AZ. Awesome food, clean. and great service. Otherwise I eat local as much as possible because it supports a local economy.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:34 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,412,886 times
Interesting study:

http://localfirst.org/images/stories...udy-Series.pdf

Old 09-08-2014, 08:05 AM

2,880 posts, read 6,176,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post

Also, Tim Horton's isn't Northern. It's not even American. You're only going to get it if you're near Canada. There are none in the Chicago area. If you want it, you'd have to go to Michigan.
False. There are plenty of Tim Horton's in the North. I've personally been to them in Columbus, OH. There's also quite a few in the Northeast.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:19 AM

7,280 posts, read 13,547,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Eat local all you want just don't tell ME what YOU want ME to eat.
My goodness. For all the blowback, you'd think I suggested something controversial. Where are all the small-to-medium business supporters?

Eat wherever the heck you like. Maybe in a few years amazon.com can drone-deliver some freeze-dried corn dogs directly into your colon.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:31 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,144,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
If the Peoples Choice in Rochester serves Jamaican food (as well as southern food) then it's part of the same group of restaurants in multiple locations. And there's a significant difference between Jamaican food and southern US food - there's some overlap but your average southerner wouldn't consider Jamaican food to be "down home cookin' " AT ALL. Just to clarify.
https://foursquare.com/v/peoples-cho...2e224b0bcbb12a
https://foursquare.com/v/peoples-cho...64a5209f0c29e3
Peoples Choice Kitchen - New York Restaurant - MenuPages Jamaican, Caribbean Restaurant Search
People
People's Choice - Fort Lauderdale | Urbanspoon
People

There were more but I figured that was enough to get my point across.
Up north usually African-Americans share neighborhoods with West Indians, that's how they get those dual Southern/Soul and Caribbean restaurants.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:33 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,144,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
My goodness. For all the blowback, you'd think I suggested something controversial. Where are all the small-to-medium business supporters?

Eat wherever the heck you like. Maybe in a few years amazon.com can drone-deliver some freeze-dried corn dogs directly into your colon.
So because somebody doesn't like to be told where to eat, that means they automatically just want to eat crap all the time?

Old 09-08-2014, 08:34 AM

1,259 posts, read 728,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You think Olive Garden is good, then claim the south has the best food while northern food is "plain." What exactly about northern food is plain? What do you have in mind? From Italian food in the NYC metro to seafood in coastal New England, not sure how we're labeled as plain. Is it because all those chains you mentioned (minus DD) didn't start in the north? I'm not much for chains, they don't impress me.

Sorry, can't take that comment seriously.

Also, Dunkin Donuts is a MA chain, unless I misunderstood you made it sound like it comes from NC. The original Dunkin in Quincy, MA is very cool looking.
You never hear anyone talking about how good northern food is. Look at all the cooking and food magazines from the grocery stores. They're all mostly southern foods.

And yes, as I mentioned in another post, I meant to put Krispy Kreme, not DD.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:44 AM

3,453 posts, read 3,125,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Ain't that the truth! Restaurant employees in the NE are notoriously abrupt and rude -- unlike the South, where they welcome you with open arms, treat you like one of the family and call you "sugar," "honey" and "sweety" with abandon.

The Chick-fil-A chain is famous for its remarkable customer service. It matters not what you think of their food, their beliefs or their politics -- they treat EVERY customer with dignity and respect, and have pretty much made an institution of the phrase "My pleasure!"

Whenever I visit NYC and the NE, I always dread asking restaurant service people for "extras." I cannot tell you how many times I've been given looks of indignation and outrage simply by asking for a glass of ice. "Ice? Why do you want ice?" Because I WANT it, for crying out loud!

You ask for extras they suck there teeth. I had to tell one girl that she chose this a career. You dont like your job find something else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or