Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 10:08 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
What most Americans know as fried chicken is indeed southern in origin. This isn't really a matter of opinion.
What most Americans know as fried chicken is, indeed, southern--by way of the Scots. A few of them moved to the Mid-Atlantic states, too. I have no idea how or where Nana learned to fry chicken, but I'm pretty she didn't learn that from anyone in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 10:30 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
What most Americans know as fried chicken is, indeed, southern--by way of the Scots. A few of them moved to the Mid-Atlantic states, too. I have no idea how or where Nana learned to fry chicken, but I'm pretty she didn't learn that from anyone in the south.
How can you be so sure though? Plenty of southern food traditions made their way up north during the Great Migration, so it wouldn't be far fetched to assume that your nana might have gotten her recipe either directly or indirectly from a southerner.

The point is that Southern Fried Chicken is the best and most prominent example of that food for a reason.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:04 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Heck, there are Cracker Barrels all over the place along southern interstates but I don't see many inside cities - in fact, I don't recall EVER seeing one that wasn't adjacent to an interstate or major highway. But of course, I could be wrong about that.
!

They are starting to expand beyond being next to the highways. in fact the two I would go to in Florida where not on right by the highway. When I lived in Tampa, the one I went to was about 2-3 miles from I-275, so obviously could not be seen. Also, a good friend of mine lived in Leesburg, FL and her location was not off the highway as well, way further off the highway than mine was, maybe 10 miles?

Old 09-08-2014, 11:26 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
You never hear anyone talking about how good northern food is. Look at all the cooking and food magazines from the grocery stores. They're all mostly southern foods.

And yes, as I mentioned in another post, I meant to put Krispy Kreme, not DD.
Haha, none of the country's top food cities (outside New Orleans, which is its own beast) are Southern. NYC, San Fran, Chicago. I'm not sure what magazines you're looking at, but I suspect they are of the regional focus type.

I prefer broasted chicken to fried, but that doesn't stop me from getting Gus' Chicken every time I'm in Memphis (not to mention Payne's BBQ - amazing).

Famous Dave's is from the Wisconsin northwoods, founded by an Ojibwe who was head of the Federal Bureau of Indian Affairs. I've never had it, as I definitely feel that the only BBQ worthwhile is in the South or in black neighborhoods in large northern cities. Also - the chain thing. That said, there are a good number of decent local bbq spots in Wisconsin along the Mississippi and throughout the Western WI Driftless, as the Mississippi River has acted as a cultural superhighway for thousands of years now. Fried catfish shacks, bbq pork, etc.

But in general, up north it's metro black areas. Most trad soul food joints in Milwaukee have zero online presence, but here are a couple good bbq spots:

About Speed Queen BBQ - Milwaukee, WI BBQ Restaurant
HOME - ASHLEY'S BAR-B-QUE

Mr. Perkins was the quintissential Milwaukee soul food hangout until Will died a few years ago: OnMilwaukee.com Dining: Mr. Perkins still the place for soul food

I think it's clear that any major city might have good authentic food that didn't originate in the region, but overall the NYC region just has overwhelmingly more and better and consistently better Italian American food, just like you can get great southern food in Chicago, but it's not the variety and quality percentage-wise as, say, Memphis. I'm not sure why people feel they can claim their own regional food (which is recreated in other regions in a limited capacity) and then discredit other regional specialties (which are recreated in other regions in a limited capacity).

Also - Southern food is positively magical to people in the South. Lots of us up in Wisconsin like it, too. But here we prefer our own local foods, like brats soaked in beer and charcoaled with sauerkraut on a hard roll with a side of chicken booyah and some fresh squeaky cheese curds. Nothing wrong with loving your local cuisine, but it's weird when people believe theirs is intrinsically superior.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:38 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,317,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Haha, none of the country's top food cities (outside New Orleans, which is its own beast) are Southern. NYC, San Fran, Chicago.
The Best American Cities for Foodies - Condé Nast Traveler

#4 Charleston
#5 New Orleans
#15 Savannah
#16 Austin
#17 Naples

America's Best Cities for Foodies - Articles | Travel + Leisure

#1 New Orleans
#8 Savannah
#9 Charleston
#10 San Antonio
#15 Austin

Old 09-08-2014, 01:52 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
***Mind Blown***

Look at anything involving seafood or Italian food and you'll find CT, NY, MA, ME, NJ etc -- Don't know what rock you're living under
Excuse me, you're wrong, Italian food is not best in the northeast, everyone has perfected it around the country and the incredible presence of Italians in states like NJ and CT is totally irrelevant. BBQ, on the other hand, can only get it good in the South. The entire population of the south can move to the north but the south will still have the monopoly on that one. No question, can't even argue it, sorry.

/end sarcasm

Old 09-08-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Excuse me, you're wrong, Italian food is not best in the northeast, everyone has perfected it around the country and the incredible presence of Italians in states like NJ and CT is totally irrelevant. BBQ, on the other hand, can only get it good in the South. The entire population of the south can move to the north but the south will still have the monopoly on that one. No question, can't even argue it, sorry.

/end sarcasm
Italian American food is to NJ and CT what Tex-Mex is to Texas. Though Tex Mex was created in a southern state, who really considers it southern food? Also, I think you just need to get over it. Like I said earlier, Italian American food is best in the northeast. Great authentic Italian does not belong to the northeast.

Great barbecue can be found any place where they know what they're doing.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:24 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,317,526 times
Great ________ can be found any place where they know what they're doing.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Great ________ can be found any place where they know what they're doing.
True.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:45 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

/end sarcasm
Loved the sarcasm :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.